Why control panel crash ?

Hello guys,

I did a fresh install of Windows XP Pro SP2. All work fine, I reinstalled
all the application, development tools (Delphi, VS2003, ...), Office 2003.

No problem ... but the control panel crash often, very often.

Could you tell me how to trace the problem ? I don't see anything special,
just some "restart explorer".

For the moment, I just disable the access to the control panel (with mmc and
GPO), but it's not the solution

Thanks for your help

Christian,
1 answer Last reply
More about control panel crash

    Any error messages?

    You receive an "Error occurred while Windows was working with the Control
    Panel file" error message when you open Control Panel in Windows XP SP2
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;892890

    Quite often the Control Panel crashing is do to spyware. Scan for and
    remove spyware.

    Control Panel stops responding in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;843551

    Go here...

    Read the instructions at the top
    Scroll down to...
    256. Restore the Control Panel

    *.cpl files are Control Panel extensions, they show up in the Control Panel.

    Do a Search on your machine for *.cpl.

    Compare the results to...
    Description of Control Panel (.cpl) Files
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;149648

    and
    Control Panel cpl's:
    access.cpl = Accessibility Options
    appwiz.cpl = Add or Remove Programs
    desk.cpl = Desktop Control Panel = Display Properties
    hdwwiz.cpl = Add Hardware Control Panel Applet
    inetcpl.cpl = Internet Control Panel = Internet Properties
    intl.cpl = Regional and Language Options
    irprops.cpl = Wireless Link Control Panel Applet
    joy.cpl = Game Controllers
    jpicpl32.cpl = JavaPlugin
    main.cpl = Mouse Properties
    mmsys.cpl = Sounds and Audio Device Properties
    ncpa.cpl = Network Connections Control-Panel Stub
    nusrmgr.cpl = Windows User Manager = Users Accounts
    nvtuicpl.cpl = NVIDIA nView Control Panel, Version 52.16
    nwc.cpl = Client Service for NetWare Applet
    odbccp32.cpl = Microsoft Data Access - ODBC Control Panel
    plotman.cpl = Autodesk Hardcopy Plotter Manager
    powercfg.cpl = Power Management Configuration Control Panel Applet or Power
    Options Properties
    SanCpl.cpl = SiSoftware Sandra™ English Control Panel Extension (Win32
    x86)(NT)(ANSI)
    sapi.cpl = SAPI 5 = Speech Properties
    styleman.cpl = Autodesk Hardcopy Plot Style Manager
    sysdm.cpl = System Properties
    telephon.cpl = Telephony Control Panel
    timedate.cpl = Time Date Properties
    wuaucpl.cpl = Automatic Updates Control Panel (Added by SP2??)
    Wscui.cpl = SP2 Security Center (SP2)

    Do you have any that are funky?

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:uxqwZb1pFHA.2584@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Christian Ista <ml@cista.be> hunted and pecked:
    > Hello guys,
    >
    > I did a fresh install of Windows XP Pro SP2. All work fine, I reinstalled
    > all the application, development tools (Delphi, VS2003, ...), Office 2003.
    >
    > No problem ... but the control panel crash often, very often.
    >
    > Could you tell me how to trace the problem ? I don't see anything special,
    > just some "restart explorer".
    >
    > For the moment, I just disable the access to the control panel (with mmc
    > and GPO), but it's not the solution
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > Christian,

Control Panel Crash Windows XP