Why control panel crash ?

August 23, 2005 2:19:49 AM

Hello guys,

I did a fresh install of Windows XP Pro SP2. All work fine, I reinstalled
all the application, development tools (Delphi, VS2003, ...), Office 2003.

No problem ... but the control panel crash often, very often.

Could you tell me how to trace the problem ? I don't see anything special,
just some "restart explorer".

For the moment, I just disable the access to the control panel (with mmc and
GPO), but it's not the solution

Thanks for your help

Christian,

More about : control panel crash

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 2:19:50 AM

Any error messages?

You receive an "Error occurred while Windows was working with the Control
Panel file" error message when you open Control Panel in Windows XP SP2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;892890

Quite often the Control Panel crashing is do to spyware. Scan for and
remove spyware.

Control Panel stops responding in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;843551

Go here...

Read the instructions at the top
Scroll down to...
256. Restore the Control Panel

*.cpl files are Control Panel extensions, they show up in the Control Panel.

Do a Search on your machine for *.cpl.

Compare the results to...
Description of Control Panel (.cpl) Files
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;149648

and
Control Panel cpl's:
access.cpl = Accessibility Options
appwiz.cpl = Add or Remove Programs
desk.cpl = Desktop Control Panel = Display Properties
hdwwiz.cpl = Add Hardware Control Panel Applet
inetcpl.cpl = Internet Control Panel = Internet Properties
intl.cpl = Regional and Language Options
irprops.cpl = Wireless Link Control Panel Applet
joy.cpl = Game Controllers
jpicpl32.cpl = JavaPlugin
main.cpl = Mouse Properties
mmsys.cpl = Sounds and Audio Device Properties
ncpa.cpl = Network Connections Control-Panel Stub
nusrmgr.cpl = Windows User Manager = Users Accounts
nvtuicpl.cpl = NVIDIA nView Control Panel, Version 52.16
nwc.cpl = Client Service for NetWare Applet
odbccp32.cpl = Microsoft Data Access - ODBC Control Panel
plotman.cpl = Autodesk Hardcopy Plotter Manager
powercfg.cpl = Power Management Configuration Control Panel Applet or Power
Options Properties
SanCpl.cpl = SiSoftware Sandra™ English Control Panel Extension (Win32
x86)(NT)(ANSI)
sapi.cpl = SAPI 5 = Speech Properties
styleman.cpl = Autodesk Hardcopy Plot Style Manager
sysdm.cpl = System Properties
telephon.cpl = Telephony Control Panel
timedate.cpl = Time Date Properties
wuaucpl.cpl = Automatic Updates Control Panel (Added by SP2??)
Wscui.cpl = SP2 Security Center (SP2)

Do you have any that are funky?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.