Sometime during the late summer at random times, the browsers would lock up when I do something, such as click on a link or UI button, and become unresponsive for 10-40 seconds. Once they become responsive again, the last commands given right before the lock up are not executed and I have to re-click on the link or UI button.
Also, sometimes when I'm typing, it takes a few seconds for the letters to start appear, and the first few letters may not appear.
I've kept Task Manager open frequently, and right after a lock up, I check it to see the CPU load, which is always minimal. I'm going to keep the Resource Manager on to check the HDD and RAM load as well.
EDIT: I've had another lockup, but I'm not sure how to decipher the RAM/HDD load from normal load.
Laptop Model: N61jq
OS: Windows 7 SP1 64-bit Home Premium
CPU: i7 720qm
RAM: 8 GB
GPU: (ATI HD 5730 Mobility, CCC 12.9-12.11)
Anti-Virus: AVG Free and Windows Defender
I've ran a few scans, but no viruses.
EDIT 2: I lied, even other software are stuttering (except for in games assuming GPU isn't bottlenecking). Resource Manager is taking several seconds to respond when I click on the UI bar to bring it out of background.
I also forgot to mention that occasionally, the entire laptop locks up for several seconds. Even Alt+Ctrl+Del doesn't work when the lockup occurs.
More about :aurora waterfox chrome stuttering cpu load
I would expect Intel's driver installation process to be pretty straightforward. Usually all you have to do is just download the latest version of the driver from your manufacturer's website and run the executable as an administrator.
This may sound redundant or silly, but it could help: try making Windows do a chkdsk. Since Windows can't do one while it's running, it'll run next time you restart your computer. Even if you think this is completely superfluous, do it anyway. I was having a similar issue to yours a few days ago, and after I let chkdsk run it magically disappeared. Not saying it's guaranteed to work, but definitely worth a try.