New install with black screen, + cursor, + task manager

So I just installed a new Asrock Extreme z77 4 MOBO with a i5-3570k chip. 16 gigs of new DDR3 GSKILL RAM. Decided to do a clean wipe of my only hard drive and reinstall windows. Everything booted up fine, loaded the desktop, and at that time I inserted the MOBO install disk and "installed everything." Following a reboot that was automatic I can now get to the windows screen, but I can't get to the login or the desktop. My screen is black with a non-blinking cursor. I can move the cursor around and even ctl+alt+del and show the task manager screen (no applications are running). Everything else is black. I've tried numerous reboots, reboots to safe-mode (same result), and even the on-board videocard. No dice. Bios shows everything is working. Ram has the right timing and voltage (9-9-9 1.5).

Occasionally I get a screen that pops up for c:\windowsystem32\winsat.exe that runs a bunch of code.... Still black, just with a cdos type box.

Really strange stuff..

2.0 is the driver that is installed in the bios screen.
1 answer Last reply
More about install black screen cursor task manager

1. That's an example of what my screen looks like. I'm working on installing nvidea drivers as we speak, but it's taking AGES doing it this way.

ugadawg said:
    So I just installed a new Asrock Extreme z77 4 MOBO with a i5-3570k chip. 16 gigs of new DDR3 GSKILL RAM. Decided to do a clean wipe of my only hard drive and reinstall windows. Everything booted up fine, loaded the desktop, and at that time I inserted the MOBO install disk and "installed everything." Following a reboot that was automatic I can now get to the windows screen, but I can't get to the login or the desktop. My screen is black with a non-blinking cursor. I can move the cursor around and even ctl+alt+del and show the task manager screen (no applications are running). Everything else is black. I've tried numerous reboots, reboots to safe-mode (same result), and even the on-board videocard. No dice. Bios shows everything is working. Ram has the right timing and voltage (9-9-9 1.5).

Occasionally I get a screen that pops up for c:\windowsystem32\winsat.exe that runs a bunch of code.... Still black, just with a cdos type box.

Really strange stuff..

2.0 is the driver that is installed in the bios screen.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cursor Task Manager Windows 7