Sign in with
Your question

New install with black screen, + cursor, + task manager

Last response: in Windows 7
November 3, 2012 12:32:28 AM

So I just installed a new Asrock Extreme z77 4 MOBO with a i5-3570k chip. 16 gigs of new DDR3 GSKILL RAM. Decided to do a clean wipe of my only hard drive and reinstall windows. Everything booted up fine, loaded the desktop, and at that time I inserted the MOBO install disk and "installed everything." Following a reboot that was automatic I can now get to the windows screen, but I can't get to the login or the desktop. My screen is black with a non-blinking cursor. I can move the cursor around and even ctl+alt+del and show the task manager screen (no applications are running). Everything else is black. I've tried numerous reboots, reboots to safe-mode (same result), and even the on-board videocard. No dice. Bios shows everything is working. Ram has the right timing and voltage (9-9-9 1.5).

Occasionally I get a screen that pops up for c:\windowsystem32\winsat.exe that runs a bunch of code.... Still black, just with a cdos type box.

Really strange stuff..

2.0 is the driver that is installed in the bios screen.
November 3, 2012 12:40:58 AM

That's an example of what my screen looks like. I'm working on installing nvidea drivers as we speak, but it's taking AGES doing it this way.

ugadawg said:
So I just installed a new Asrock Extreme z77 4 MOBO with a i5-3570k chip. 16 gigs of new DDR3 GSKILL RAM. Decided to do a clean wipe of my only hard drive and reinstall windows. Everything booted up fine, loaded the desktop, and at that time I inserted the MOBO install disk and "installed everything." Following a reboot that was automatic I can now get to the windows screen, but I can't get to the login or the desktop. My screen is black with a non-blinking cursor. I can move the cursor around and even ctl+alt+del and show the task manager screen (no applications are running). Everything else is black. I've tried numerous reboots, reboots to safe-mode (same result), and even the on-board videocard. No dice. Bios shows everything is working. Ram has the right timing and voltage (9-9-9 1.5).

Occasionally I get a screen that pops up for c:\windowsystem32\winsat.exe that runs a bunch of code.... Still black, just with a cdos type box.

Really strange stuff..

2.0 is the driver that is installed in the bios screen.

m
l
Related resources
!