MS Photo Editor and Adobe Photoshop HE hanging problem

I have a 3GHz P4 with hyperthreading, running XP pro, updated to sp2.
I'm have trouble with both MS Photo Editor and Adobe Photoshop Home
Edition. What happens is this: for MSPhoto Editor, when I call it up, it
takes about 1 minute to come up. It hangs on the status bar. Once it
displays the picture I want to edit, it keeps hanging, only re-writimg
the frame, etc once every minute or so. When I go to cancel it, the OS
says it is not responding. For Adobe PS, when I bring it up, it freezes
for about a minute, like it is waiting for something to time out, and
then it come up and works fine. This only happens when I try to use
these application under my login, if I go in under another login (same
machine), they both work fine.

I wrote in about this in late May, and was told to "get rid of my temp
files, and increase the number of my paging files". At that time I
deleted the contents of my "C:\Documents and Settings\mylogin\Local
Settings\Temp" directory, after which everything worked fine.

This time there was very little in that directory, and deleting it
didn't help. I'm not sure what was meant by increasing the "number" of
my paging files, but I did increase its size, to no avail.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks a lot,

peter

--

Peter Cheimets
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory ,__o-

pcheimets@cfa.harvard.edu
(617)495-7350 (voice)
(617)495-7098 (FAX)

Jim

"Peter Cheimets" <pcheimets@cfa.harvard.edu> wrote in message
>I have a 3GHz P4 with hyperthreading, running XP pro, updated to sp2. I'm
>have trouble with both MS Photo Editor and Adobe Photoshop Home Edition.
>What happens is this: for MSPhoto Editor, when I call it up, it takes about
>1 minute to come up. It hangs on the status bar. Once it displays the
>picture I want to edit, it keeps hanging, only re-writimg the frame, etc
>once every minute or so. When I go to cancel it, the OS says it is not
>responding. For Adobe PS, when I bring it up, it freezes for about a
>minute, like it is waiting for something to time out, and then it come up
>and works fine. This only happens when I try to use these application
>under my login, if I go in under another login (same machine), they both
>work fine.
>
> I wrote in about this in late May, and was told to "get rid of my temp
> files, and increase the number of my paging files". At that time I deleted
> the contents of my "C:\Documents and Settings\mylogin\Local Settings\Temp"
> directory, after which everything worked fine.
>
> This time there was very little in that directory, and deleting it didn't
> help. I'm not sure what was meant by increasing the "number" of my paging
> files, but I did increase its size, to no avail.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> peter
>
> --

Have you reset the PS preferences?

As for the paging file question, you can in fact have more than one pagefile
on your computer. It isn't very hard to add as many as you wish (one per
disk ought to be enough though). Sometimes multiple page files help the
performance of the computer. You should let Windows manage your pagefile
size.

You can also use more than one PS swapfile, and this sometimes makes a
difference.

Jim

Jim wrote:

>"Peter Cheimets" <pcheimets@cfa.harvard.edu> wrote in message
>

>>I have a 3GHz P4 with hyperthreading, running XP pro, updated to sp2. I'm
>>have trouble with both MS Photo Editor and Adobe Photoshop Home Edition.
>>What happens is this: for MSPhoto Editor, when I call it up, it takes about
>>1 minute to come up. It hangs on the status bar. Once it displays the
>>picture I want to edit, it keeps hanging, only re-writimg the frame, etc
>>once every minute or so. When I go to cancel it, the OS says it is not
>>responding. For Adobe PS, when I bring it up, it freezes for about a
>>minute, like it is waiting for something to time out, and then it come up
>>and works fine. This only happens when I try to use these application
>>under my login, if I go in under another login (same machine), they both
>>work fine.
>>
>>I wrote in about this in late May, and was told to "get rid of my temp
>>files, and increase the number of my paging files". At that time I deleted
>>the contents of my "C:\Documents and Settings\mylogin\Local Settings\Temp"
>>directory, after which everything worked fine.
>>
>>This time there was very little in that directory, and deleting it didn't
>>help. I'm not sure what was meant by increasing the "number" of my paging
>>files, but I did increase its size, to no avail.
>>
>>Anyone have any thoughts?
>>
>>Thanks a lot,
>>
>>peter
>>
>>--
>>

>Have you reset the PS preferences?
>
>As for the paging file question, you can in fact have more than one pagefile
>on your computer. It isn't very hard to add as many as you wish (one per
>disk ought to be enough though). Sometimes multiple page files help the
>performance of the computer. You should let Windows manage your pagefile
>size.
>
>You can also use more than one PS swapfile, and this sometimes makes a
>difference.
>
>Jim

I haven't changed the PS preferences. What ever it is it only slows the
start up of PS, but it freezes PhotoEditor. I was wondering if it could
a some networking issue, something like the program keeps trying to
connect to a disk or computer some where else. Is there a "fast find" or
indexing rocess that might be running in the background? I do
occaisionally run a VPN on the computer, and I was wondering if I had
the VPN going at sometime in the past, and ran Photoeditorwould that
leave a computer on the list of items to add to the index, that now it
can't get to? Far fetched, but a thought.

Thanks again,

Peter