Can opposite polarity damage a scanner?

srynznfyra

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
A while ago the transformer in our scanner broke, and we got it replaced. But, a few days ago the transformer's wires got pulled out of the connection block that fitted them to the scanner, and I don't know which wire went where. So, if I now connect it, there's a 50/50 chance that it'll be the correct polarity but of course also a 50/50 chance of it being wrong.

If I connect it and the polarity's wrong, do you think the scanner would get damaged by the wrong polarity? I know a bit about electronics and I know that a diode put in the wrong polarity won't break, but I'm wondering if there's any components that would get damaged by this, like transistors and integrated circuits for instance.

thanks

G

Connecting wrongly briefly shouldn't damage the scanner as the input usually has a diode in line (which only permits current to flow in one polarity). The evidence is whether the scanner works -- if not change the polarity.

Usually the connector is centre positive -- rather than risk it check the power supply's output with a multimeter (which will cost less than a new scanner).

srynznfyra

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
Connecting wrongly briefly shouldn't damage the scanner as the input usually has a diode in line (which only permits current to flow in one polarity). The evidence is whether the scanner works -- if not change the polarity.

Usually the connector is centre positive -- rather than risk it check the power supply's output with a multimeter (which will cost less than a new scanner).

It says on it that the connector in the middle is positive so no worries there. Thing is I can't know which wire goes into which pin in the connector (or outer ring in negative's case), as it is all fused together (the wires from the transformer plug via connection block to the wires from the scanner).

Maybe I'll just try it then if that's the case, still a bit cautious though... :??:

UPDATE: Tried it and it works now :D SOLVED cheers :)