Adding TC/PIP port for printing

How do you get the colon in there for the port? I am attempting to add a
port for a new workstation and i can't get the colon for the printer port:
192.168.1.14:print_700-800 (this is for a canon color printer and i see
that port on other workstations but i can't figure out how i got it there.
I am retiring now from this job and it is a good thing... charlie
3 answers Last reply
More about adding port printing

    On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:31:44 -0500, "charles kuchar"
    <charliekuchar@news.postalias> wrote:

    >How do you get the colon in there for the port? I am attempting to add a
    >port for a new workstation and i can't get the colon for the printer port:
    >192.168.1.14:print_700-800 (this is for a canon color printer and i see
    >that port on other workstations but i can't figure out how i got it there.
    >I am retiring now from this job and it is a good thing... charlie

    Select add new printer and the colon will appear automatically when
    you identify the TCP/IP port you want to use.
    --
    John Perry

    http://www.redoak.co.uk
    http://www.eze-buy.co.uk

    John Perry wrote:

    > On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:31:44 -0500, "charles kuchar"
    > <charliekuchar@news.postalias> wrote:
    >
    >>How do you get the colon in there for the port? I am attempting to
    >>add a port for a new workstation and i can't get the colon for the
    >>printer port:
    >>192.168.1.14:print_700-800 (this is for a canon color printer and i
    >>see that port on other workstations but i can't figure out how i got
    >>it there.
    >>I am retiring now from this job and it is a good thing... charlie
    >>
    > Select add new printer and the colon will appear automatically when
    > you identify the TCP/IP port you want to use.
    > --
    > John Perry

    1. Add New Printer.
    2. Install Local Printer.
    3. Create New Port (choose TCP/IP)
    4. TCP/IP printer wizard will start. Put in the IP address. Follow the
    rest of the wizard.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Hi Charles,

    You may try John and Malke's suggestions, and also you may refer to the
    following Microsoft Web site:

    To add a standard TCP/IP port
    <http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en
    -us/print_add_tcpip_port.mspx>

    To add a standard TCP/IP port
    ===================================
    1. Open Printers and Faxes
    2. Under Printer Tasks, click Add a printer to open the Add Printer Wizard,
    and then click Next.
    3. Click Local printer or stand-alone network printer, clear the
    Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer check box, and
    then click Next.
    4. Click Create a new port, and then click Standard TCP/IP Port.
    5. Click Next to run the Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard.
    6. Follow the instructions on the screen to finish installing the TCP/IP
    printer.

    Hope this helps!

    Have a nice day!

    Sincerely,
    Tom Che
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    >From: Malke <invalid@not-real.com>
    >Subject: Re: Adding TC/PIP port for printing
    >Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:35:02 -0700
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    >
    >John Perry wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:31:44 -0500, "charles kuchar"
    >> <charliekuchar@news.postalias> wrote:
    >>
    >>>How do you get the colon in there for the port? I am attempting to
    >>>add a port for a new workstation and i can't get the colon for the
    >>>printer port:
    >>>192.168.1.14:print_700-800 (this is for a canon color printer and i
    >>>see that port on other workstations but i can't figure out how i got
    >>>it there.
    >>>I am retiring now from this job and it is a good thing... charlie
    >>>
    >> Select add new printer and the colon will appear automatically when
    >> you identify the TCP/IP port you want to use.
    >> --
    >> John Perry
    >>

    >1. Add New Printer.
    >2. Install Local Printer.
    >3. Create New Port (choose TCP/IP)
    >4. TCP/IP printer wizard will start. Put in the IP address. Follow the
    >rest of the wizard.
    >
    >Malke
    >--
    >Elephant Boy Computers
    >www.elephantboycomputers.com
    >"Don't Panic!"
    >MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Workstations Microsoft Printers Windows XP