Compaq Presario 6000 question

I hooked my son's computer up to our DSL line this morning for the first
time in several months, and applied a substantial number of patches to
WinXP. One thing concerns me, Windows update had a warning on the first
batch of patches that for Compaq and HP computers that had WinXP
preinstalled, using the system restore utility could cause the system to
lock up after service pack 1 was installed. Service pack 1 wasn't one
of the listed downloads, and when I checked the update history, service
pack 1 wasn't one of the listed updates of the 67 this computer has had.
The alert referred to a Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q329450,
which had a link to a patch supposedly on HP's website. I clicked on
the link, and it just routed me back to HP's main support page without
giving me any way to download the patch. I did a search on their site
for Service Pack 1, figuring that would lead me to the patch, without
success.

Is anyone familiar with this problem? Any suggestions?

hh

Most likely, the PC already had SP1 installed. Are you sure it was SP1 and
not SP2?

HH

"Richard Ward" <rward11@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I hooked my son's computer up to our DSL line this morning for the first
>time in several months, and applied a substantial number of patches to
>WinXP. One thing concerns me, Windows update had a warning on the first
>batch of patches that for Compaq and HP computers that had WinXP
>preinstalled, using the system restore utility could cause the system to
>lock up after service pack 1 was installed. Service pack 1 wasn't one of
>the listed downloads, and when I checked the update history, service pack 1
>wasn't one of the listed updates of the 67 this computer has had. The alert
>referred to a Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q329450, which had a link to
>a patch supposedly on HP's website. I clicked on the link, and it just
>routed me back to HP's main support page without giving me any way to
>download the patch. I did a search on their site for Service Pack 1,
>figuring that would lead me to the patch, without success.
>
> Is anyone familiar with this problem? Any suggestions?

It was SP1. The knowledge base article referred to SP1 as well. This
computer is a couple of years old, I don't know when SP1 came out.