Windows Explorer slow to populate icons/show contents of f..

August 22, 2005 6:41:40 PM

I have a directory containing 4000 JPGs (no, clean JPGs before you
ask). Anytime I select a folder within this directory, it takes 30
seconds to display either the thumbnail page, or about the same time to
lookup the icon for each file in 'List details' mode.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,
James

---
Make obscure celebrities fight at...
http://muddeathmatch.blogspot.com
---
August 22, 2005 10:42:18 PM

In news:1124746900.919104.35310@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
jamesbeswick@gmail.com <jamesbeswick@gmail.com> had this to say:

> I have a directory containing 4000 JPGs (no, clean JPGs before you
> ask). Anytime I select a folder within this directory, it takes 30
> seconds to display either the thumbnail page, or about the same time
> to lookup the icon for each file in 'List details' mode.
>
> Has anyone seen this before?
>
> Thanks,
> James
>

> ---
> Make obscure celebrities fight at...
> http://muddeathmatch.blogspot.com
> ---

4000 files, no matter the size, is a lot to open. Running explorer and the
desktop as a separate process may help.

Explorer as a Separate Process :
http://kgiii.info/windows/XP/tips/sep_explorer.html

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 12:14:39 PM

Aha, cracked it. The JPG file association with Photoshop was corrupt.
Changing it in Explorer didn't work but remove the association from the
registry did. My Explorer is back to its old blazing self again.

-- James
!