Sterling

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

downloaded files are ending up in "documents and settings: and are opening
the file ob the desktop. if i right click on the download panel and
select"save target as" then i can download to the proper file. Thanks for
any help Sterling

Go here...

Read the instructions
287. Restore Download to Directory Setting
-----
See #3 below.

1. Locate a program (file) to download.

2. Once you have clicked on a link to download, a pop-up box will appear
notifying you that you have started the file download process. This box will
either be titled File Download or Unknown File Type. Depending on the box
that appears, click either the OK button or the Save button to proceed with
the download process.

3. A box will appear asking you where you want to save the file you are
about to download. IE normally will save this location and default to it
until you change it.

4. Locate a folder to save the file in. (My Download Files folder.)
By default, it is downloaded to the last folder in which you saved a file.
It is best to create a folder on your hard drive where you will keep all of
your downloaded files. This will keep your file directory uncluttered and
you will always know where to look for anything you have downloaded.

5. Click the Save button. This will initiate the actual download of the
file. A box will appear on your screen that will show the status of the
download.

Download Directory location here...
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
Value Name: Download Directory
Value Type: REG_SZ
Value Data: Path to folder

I.e. C:\Documents and Settings\Wesley P. Vogel\Desktop

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User