Help: I can not delete files or folders in WinXP

Mike

Splendid

Two days ago when I booted up my system I was greeted with the
following message ...

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
corrupt: \Windows\System32\Config\System

I tried the "repair" option but that did not work so I ended up
reformatting and re-installing WinXP. Luckily I had most everything
backed on DVD so I really did not loose anything just the time it took
for the re-install. During the reinstallation several folders were
created in a partition on my secondary hard drive. These folders are
empty but when I try to delete them I am told by Windows ...

Can not delete file: can not read from source file or disk

Does anyone know of a way to get rid of these folders ? I did some
"Googleing" and did not find anything useful. Thanks!

Mike

Dimension 8200
Win XP SP1
512 RDRAM
GeForce FX5900XT
Soundblaster Live!
Phillips DVD+RW

In article <m58iu0pqghs97erldp5q0e1jd62ok5uein@4ax.com>,
Mike@SunnyOrlando.com (Mike) says...

> Two days ago when I booted up my system I was greeted with the
> following message ...
>
> Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
> corrupt: \Windows\System32\Config\System
>
> I tried the "repair" option but that did not work so I ended up
> reformatting and re-installing WinXP.

That happened to my work machine about the same time. We booted it from
the CD and restored the system to a previous state. The SysAdmin left
automatic updates enabled, and on of Microsoft's updates apparently did
not install correctly.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc