Mary

Anyone know of a program that will either print or copy the screen or the
current box that pops up. It would be nice if free or cheap. Simple program
is all I need. Thanks.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:%23KQZee2pFHA.3524@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Mary <absolutelymary@calm.com> had this to say:

> Anyone know of a program that will either print or copy the screen or
> the current box that pops up. It would be nice if free or cheap.
> Simple program is all I need. Thanks.

XnView www.xnview.com has a free application that will do screenshots,
print, and a lot more actually. It's handy too keep in your toolbox.

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes

Mary wrote:
> Anyone know of a program that will either print or copy the screen or the
> current box that pops up. It would be nice if free or cheap. Simple program
> is all I need. Thanks.

Pressing the <PrtScn> key copies the entire display to the
clipboard. Pressing <ALT>+<PrtScn> copies only the active Window to
the clipboard (iow, into RAM). To view the screen capture, open a
graphics program, such as MS Paint, and press <CTRL>+V. This will
paste the contents of the clipboard (your screenshot) into the open
file, and allow you to view it or save it as a file for later use.

How to Capture Screen Shots in Windows Using the Print Screen Key
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;173884

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

fred

"Mary" <absolutelymary@calm.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know of a program that will either print or copy the screen or the
> current box that pops up. It would be nice if free or cheap. Simple
> program is all I need. Thanks.

That's what the Print Screen key on your keyboard is for. Print Screen will
capture the whole display and Alt Print Screen will capture the active
window. Then just bring up WordPad, Word or Paint and depress ctrl v to
paste it. No programs required.

Mary wrote:

> Anyone know of a program that will either print or copy the screen or
> the current box that pops up. It would be nice if free or cheap.
> Simple program is all I need. Thanks.

Mary, although free programs are available, you probably don't need one,
since the ability already exists in Windows. Use the PrintScrn key.

Back in the days of DOS, the PrintScrn key used to print the screen. But in
all versions of Windows, this works differently, and the name of the key is
now an anachronism.

To use the key, press it to capture an image of the entire screen, or press
alt-PrintScrn to capture an image of the active window. Either one captures
the image to the Windows clipboard. Once it's in the clipboard you can paste
(Ctrl-V) it into any application that supports graphics (Windows Paint,
other graphics programs, even your favorite word processor). You can edit or
add to the image as you wish, then print it.

This ability to manipulate the image in a program before printing it is an
improvement over the original DOS method of just printing it. But if you'd
like that old facility back, there are several third-party
freeware/shareware programs that can do this, such as PrintKey2000
(http://www.sharewarejunkies.com/00zwd2/printkey2000.htm).

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup