Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 restart loop

Last response: in Windows 7
November 3, 2012 5:33:43 AM

Hello everyone.
I have had a series of problems to my desktop in the last six months and the latest one is worrying me like hell.

System specs :

cpu : intel core 2 quad 2.83ghz

mobo : asus p5q pro

ram : 2 * 2 gb zion

psu : 600 watt cooler master

hdd : 1tb seagate

gpu : zotac gts 250 eco 1 gb

Now the problem :
Suddenly , my computer started to have random reboots. I could not figure out why . Most of the times , it would not get past the starting windows logo . At times , the desktop gets loaded and restarts . Safe mode works sometimes , but not at other times.
I was frustated , so i went for a fresh installation . There were restarts during "completing installation " also ... But somehow i got through it after 3 4 try.
After installation , the desktop gets loaded and after 5 sec , again restart.
And then back to old ways , restart after the windows logo .
When i try start up repair , windows desktop gets loaded , but then again restarted .
Someone pleasr help me out.

More about : windows restart loop

November 3, 2012 2:31:18 PM

I would recommend two things:

1.) Run a memtest to see if you have any faulty RAM. You should only test one stick at a time. The Windows 7 installation DVD has a memtest function built in, which can be accessed through the "Repair my computer" menu.

2.) Check your hard disk to make sure there are no bad sectors on it. Chances are, something that Windows needs to finish booting was written to a bad sector, resulting in Windows having to restart continuously. It would also make sense that the Windows installer might crap out after writing something to a bad sector.

I hope some of this is helpful!
m
l
November 3, 2012 3:17:52 PM

If there is no blue screen and it is restarting itself it may be a heat issue. When the CPU overheats the system will go into a reboot loop to attempt to prevent damage.

I suggest checking that the CPU heatsink is properly fastened down. If the heatsink is well-seated you may need to clean the heatsink and reapply thermal grease.
m
l
Related resources
November 3, 2012 3:23:19 PM

theyeti87 said:
If there is no blue screen and it is restarting itself it may be a heat issue. When the CPU overheats the system will go into a reboot loop to attempt to prevent damage.

I suggest checking that the CPU heatsink is properly fastened down. If the heatsink is well-seated you may need to clean the heatsink and reapply thermal grease.

Usually the motherboard will keep you from re-starting until the CPU cools down. It will almost always pause during POST and tell you that the last shutdown was caused by a "thermal event" or something really technical sounding like that. So while this could be an issue, I would think that it would be something that the OP would have found out immediately.
m
l
November 3, 2012 3:44:57 PM

PudgyChicken said:
Usually the motherboard will keep you from re-starting until the CPU cools down. It will almost always pause during POST and tell you that the last shutdown was caused by a "thermal event" or something really technical sounding like that. So while this could be an issue, I would think that it would be something that the OP would have found out immediately.

This depends on your motherboard.
I've had several that'll generate a reboot cycle without displaying any information why--even in POST.
m
l
November 3, 2012 6:43:03 PM

aramisathei said:
This depends on your motherboard.
I've had several that'll generate a reboot cycle without displaying any information why--even in POST.

I don't have to deal with overheating very often, so I'm limited by experience. Thanks for the clarification!
m
l
!