Apple is full of...................

amdchooser1

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2003
<A HREF="http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2003/06_jun/features/cw_macg5_interview.htm" target="_new">http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2003/06_jun/features/cw_macg5_interview.htm</A>
DMN: Now, you're saying it's the first 64-bit desktop machine. But isn't there an Opteron dual-processor machine? It shipped on June 4th. BOXX Technologies shipped it. It has an Opteron 244 in it.

Rubinstein: Uh...

Akrout: It's not a desktop.

DMN: That's a desktop unit.

Akrout: It depends on what you call a desktop, now. These… From a full desktop per se, this is the first one. I don't know how you really distinguish the other one as a desktop.

DMN: Well, it's a dual processor desktop machine, just like that one.

Akrout: It's not 64, then.

DMN: Yes, it's a 64-bit machine with two Opteron chips in it. It started shipping June 4th.

Akrout: That we'll double check, but in my mind, it wasn't.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Rubinstein: I don't think we can really answer that. What we've done is, we've benchmarked against the fastest machines that are available out there today. And that's the 3GHz Pentium 4, and the dual 3.06 GHz Xeon. Those are machines you can go to places like Dell -- it's where we get them from -- and then we ran a variety of benchmarks. We took GCC 3.3 and we ran SPEC and SPEC Rate across both of them. We have run a variety of applications that run on both machines, and it's very clear that the G5 is the winner, hands-down.
Haha can you believe that they used GCC with a P4 thats some seriously non-bias benchmarking they have over there at Apple and IBM.

-Jeremy

:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5341387" target="_new">Busting Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:
:evil: <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?pcm=1400777" target="_new">Busting More Sh@t Up!!!</A> :evil:

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
(Sigh)Those Apple guys still refuse to wake up from their dreams...

If I agree with you... will you shut up?
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
I saw that too... Sad, really.

But I just simply HAVE to say this: Opteron is not a desktop part. It is not desktop-priced, and I've yet to see anyone using it as a desktop. It is a workstation processor, at its lowest, but not a desktop processor. AMD itself classifies Opteron as a server/workstation CPU, while A64 is really desktop-targeted... Some guys may use dual Xeon setups at home, but would you really say they're using desktops, exactly? No... That's a workstation setup.

Sorry, but I'm just being literal here. And pedantic, of course. But hey, Opteron is not really a desktop part. Neither is Xeon. And the top G5 <i>will</i> have a desktop price. But start thinking about Opteron: two 244s will cost you in excess of $1400. The mobo alone will cost you 700+, for two 244s. Then you've got ECC memory, which is naturally more expensive. Then a top video card, sound, hard disk, DVD/CD burner... So face it: G5 has a desktop price. Opteron does not. <b>Opteron is <i>actually</i> meant for workstations or servers</b>. G5 is <i>actually</i> meant as a desktop. The price tags show that.

So take it easy and let them have a little bit of glory, in their own right. I've never touched a Mac, and I hate Mac Fanboys, but I have no feelings toward apple. If not the first, they were pioneers in 64-bit as well. And G5 will probably have a wider acceptance as a desktop than Opteron. It probably has its advantages: it might be a respectably fast processor - while far from being the fastest - and have a decent price. It has a (theoretically) stable OS, a DVD recorder, and so on... Well, not bad. <i>But I just wish they stopped saying that it is out-of-this-world-FANTASTIC!...</i>

<font color=red><b>M</b></font color=red>ephistopheles

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
DMN: Well, it's a dual processor desktop machine, just like that one.

Akrout: It's not 64, then.
OK, I agree to you that dual Opteron is aimed for Workstation/Server segment, but according to the quote above, it seems that that this id!ot doesn't even know the existence the Opteron. He think the dual Opteron is two 32bit CPU make it up to a '64bit' environment.

If I agree with you... will you shut up?
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Oh yes, if you only look at that quote, you'd get a bad impression. I have to agree with you. Though he speaks a little about Opteron later... Maybe he forgot, who knows? He's not too bright, that's for sure! :smile: I'm guessing he just got desperate and couldn't think of a smarter thing to say. After all, he was probably sure that theirs was indeed the first 64-bit desktop...

<font color=red><b>M</b></font color=red>ephistopheles

Syndil

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
Anyone see their TV ads yet? Actually pretty funny... although apparently Jeff Goldblum is the announcer of the tagline at the end. Who the hell wants to listen to Jeff Goldblum?

<font color=white><b>_________________________________________________</font color=white></b>
Armadillo<font color=orange>[</font color=orange><font color=green>TcC</font color=green><font color=orange>]</font color=orange> at Lanwar and MML

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
i have to say the G5 is a nice looking computer...although isn't it using mac os X...which i assume is a 32bit operating system...anyone else with info on this.

Although i am not a fan of macs...i must say that they have done alot to pioneer personal computing in general...their opperating system for 1 (although a complete copy of digital researches GEM) was very advanced and had a gui in the days of dos 5.1. Also has anyone opened up one of those old computers...I have worked on an lcIII before and all i can say is it was a pleasure...everything is snap fit and easy to remove, very advanced for a machine built in 1991.

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil:

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
Looks like apple is going to continue to strugle still then by that repsonce, another whole year till they get up to a 3GHz Processor... not a good thing, or is it?

at what rate wold anyone expect to see speedjumps on 64 bit chips? would it be slower then the 32bit world or no?

anyone have any idea? is that a good pace?

though i might as well add,

Post your thoughts and take the <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=32459#32459" target="_new">Poll here</A>

ASUS P4S8X - P4 2.4B - 2 x 512M DDR333 - ATI 9500 Pro(Sapphire) - WD 80G HD (8M Buffer) - SAMSUNG SV0844D 8G HD - LG 16X DVD - Yamaha F1 CDRW - Iomega Zip 250 int.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by cdpage on 07/21/03 04:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>