intels overclocking detection can be good

all of u know intel invented a overclocking detection and deterrent method.why should they deter overclock if they can detect it?Now they can even unlock the multiplier because they can refuse warranty if the CPU is damaged from overclocking.SO NO LOSSES for them.They should detect overclocking but not preventing it.
46 answers Last reply
More about intels overclocking detection good
  1. From a monetary standpoint locking out overclocking is in intels best interest, most people wouldn't notice it at all. Forces people to upgrade sooner.

Shadus
  2. the whole point of locking the multiplyers was so that oem's did not sell overclocked cpu's to the customers...it was not to deture enthusiasts overclocking on their own. Intel <b>couldn't</b> care less about overclockers...they make up probably only 3% of intels market.

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pIII_Man on 07/19/03 01:20 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
  3. No they couldn't, they care so little, they couldn't care less.

Now you know the most common logical falacy in american slang, it's supposed to be "they couldn't care less".

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  4. I think we're going to need to adjust your meds ...

<b><font color=red>It depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is. - Bill Clinton<b><font color=red>
  5. Crash you should be an english teacher...."

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pIII_Man on 07/19/03 01:20 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
  6. im with crash on this one.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015
  7. If ya want my opinion it is a good thing for most consumers that intel has locked multiplyers...this allows costumers like me to upgrade their processors even if their old board does not support higher multiplyers.

I see whats going on here...everyones agreeing with crashman because he has 1000000000000000 posts....

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pIII_Man on 07/19/03 01:22 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
  8. Actually it has total affect on the meaning. Saying "I could care less" means that you DO care, and implies that there are things you care less about. "Couldn't care less" means you don't care at all. So the meanings are opposite, like a double negative, and using it the wrong way makes you sound stupid, even though we know you're quite smart.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  9. k fine i will edit my posts...i don't see what my grammer has to do with my knowledge of computers...but...

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil:
  10. While I could care less about this discussion, and it would probably make me a little less cranky at times, Intel may also be able to care less about it's consumers, but probably not by much.
  11. aw lets not get into this again

12. Not my intent to get you to modify your post, just an FYI to make you look better amoung the educated. The slaughtering of this phrase has become so commonplace I'm even seeing it in movies now. And it's always someone young that says it backwards.

13. hehe, yes, they probably could care a little less, because overclockers do cost them a little in lost revenue, but not much.

14. What is the harm to intel by providing unlocked processors to customers
    if they have overclocking detection?That will enhance the processors perfomance,and no more.And I think it is not a valid argument that people will not upgrade if they have overclocking facility.I understand that it is the "attitude"that drives enthusiasts to overclock.Do you think overclocking is an alternative to upgrading?I dont think so.
  15. I never said overclocking was an alternative to upgrading...i said that having locked multiplyers is good for people who NEED to upgrade and their older board does not support higher multupliers...they are still able to use quicker processors because the processor forces the multiplyer. This has helped me more than once.

Next...you just don't see the point...<font color=red>INTEL DOES NOT CARE ABOUT OVERCLOCKING</font color=red>...they worry more about amds latest products than they do overclocking...99.9 percent of intels market share goes to OEMs/bisunesses who disable overclocking (with crummy mobos) or they don't want to overclock because their aplication requires stability (server). So why should intel develop a mechanism to detect overclocking...what would be the point....IMO would do more harm than good.

Last night i was playing with the idea...what if ALL retail cpus came unlocked...but then again why the hassle...having diffrent manufactuing processes between oem and retail cpus. So...IMO if you are a smart overclocker you buy the intel cpu that has the best multiplyer for overclocking...example...who buys a 3.0c and seriously overclocks...not too many most go for the nice 2.4 and 2.6 because of lower multiplyers.

16. English idioms are acceptable in informal communication! In my opinion :evil:

<b>Qui habet aures audiendi audiat</b>
  17. The fact is, the phrase is supposed to make sense. Up until about 15 years ago it did, but then somebody forgot the negator (n't), and everyone else followed him off the same cliff.

Think about it, idioms such as "don't butt in" make sense! When your in a crowded room, it's how some people back up! If your a night owl, you work best like an owl does, at night! Sure, I'll quit correcting logic errors...over my dead body!

18. Ah nuts to all that. It ain't nothing but a thing. So who gives a rats butt!!
  19. You can say that again! Penny for your thoughts?

20. I like ones such as: "I miss not seeing you," "I turned my life around 360 degrees," and "fat chance." It is funny how some of these phrases stuck, despite making no sense. But they are still widely accepted! :smile:

21. Quote:
    I miss not seeing you

I've been saying that to my g/f for years - she thinks I'm one smooth talking devil ...

<b><font color=red>It depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is. - Bill Clinton<b><font color=red>
  22. Fat chance of meeting you.
  23. Some of those are meant to be funny, ie, the opposite meaning was intended.

24. I'll see ya when I see ya.
  25. About 15 years ago, some actor, I don't remember who, pronounced the word protein "pro-dee-in" in a TV commercial. Next thing you know, everbody is saying things like "Meat is a good source of pro-dee-in". The word is PROTEIN...there isn't even a "D" in it. I know what you mean, Crashman, all it takes is one person to say something wrong and everyone follows.
  26. I agree. And I am defending pIIIman on the grounds that "I could care less" was intended to be ironic! :eek: This isn't the CPU forum, this is now the idiom forum!

27. You are the idiom master!

28. crashman i am telling you...screw computers...you should become a collage professor...

Personally i don't care how people talk...more what they say...i have meet alot of people who use the worst grammer immaginable however are actually smart people.

Jeeez i can't think of any idioms...<A HREF="http://www.eslcafe.com/idioms/id-list.html" target="_new"> so i cheated </A> hmm...someone should post in the poll forum "what is your favorite idiom?"

29. Found my favorate

Rub someone the wrong way

[edit]
    Immagine how confusing that would be for a foregner...

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pIII_Man on 07/20/03 02:25 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
  30. Alls well that ends well. As Yogi says It ain't over till it's over.
  31. You would all do well to remember Yogi's guidance, "When you get to that fork in the road - take it ...".

32. They give you money it's as good as cash.
  33. endyen,

Regarding "Intel may also be able to care less about it's consumers, but probably not by much".

You're obviously unaware that a portion of Intel's employee bonus is based upon having an adequate (and very high) percentage of our customers (primarily OEM's) rate Intel as their "Vendor of Choice". That, to me, is not the policy of a company that doesn't care about its customers.

* Required disclaimer: Not speaking for Intel Corp *
  34. Quote:
    No they couldn't, they care so little, they couldn't care less.

Now you know the most common logical falacy in american slang, it's supposed to be "they couldn't care less".

haha

i knew he was going to say that

-------

<A HREF="http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001355.html" target="_new">*I hate thug gangstas*</A>
  35. ----------------------------------------------------------
    So why should intel develop a mechanism to detect overclocking
    ---------------------------------------------------
    They have done it already.
  36. I fear we are going far from the actual topic.
  37. though overclockers cost intel money by turning lower performance parts into high performance ones, overclockers also tend to upgrade more than your average user (see: rush to get 1.8a's, 2.4b's, and now 2.4/2.6Cs), so they could make up for lost revenue by extra sales, in the end

<A HREF="http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/ayb2.swf" target="_new">411 UR 84$3 R 8310N6 2 U$</A>
  38. Quote:
    They have done it already

Do you have any sources to back this statement up?

It's raining cats and dogs....thats a clasic

39. To a certain point yes, when I buy a pc I generally let it run 'stock' until I begin to feel the itch to upgrade, then I overclock the bloody hell out of it. :)

Put's off the urge to upgrade for a few more months... saves money in the long run. :)

Shadus
  40. Quote:
    English idioms are acceptable in informal communication! In my opinion :evil:

And it's fine to have that opinion. However, not everyone else does. Personally, my opinion is that unless it was said intentionally, it should be said intelligently.

For example, take the 'word' irregardless. It's even in Microsoft's spelling dictionaries. People commonly misuse it to mean 'without regard'. Yet the word irregardless is a double-negative. Regardless is the <i>proper</i> word for 'without regard'. <i>Ir</i>regardless is the negation of 'regardless'. So anyone who says irregardless is actually saying that they do regard.

It's just one of those words that people throw around without thinking and only makes them sound stupid. If people <i>want</i> to sound stupid, I won't stop them. I might inform them of their mistake, but I certainly won't <i>force</i> them to use that grey fleshy thing between their ears. My opinion is that stupid is as stupid does. If you sound like a moron, then you just might be one. (Why do I feel like this is an intro to 'You might be a redneck if...'?)

The only exception is, of course, when done intentionally for humor. :)

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>
  41. > The only exception is, of course, when done
    > intentionally for humor. :)

So are you saying that is regardless, irregardless, disregardless, or not without regard to, or perhaps just without any regard? Perhaps it's all just illrelevent.

Lookie what I found on dictionary.com (interesting at least):

ir·re·gard·less ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-gärdls)
    adv. Nonstandard
    Regardless.

[Probably blend of irrespective, and regardless.]
    Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

Shadus
  42. -----------------------------------------------------------
    Do you have any sources to back this statement up?

----------------------------------------------------------
    Please check th link below

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=8518
  43. interesting...but will intel impliment it...if yes i suppose that would be a reason to go amd...i wunder if anyone will fgure out a way around this...after all, you just have to find a way of jumping the circut and you would be home free...my guess is that chipset/board manufacturers will impliment an overclocking feature if intel does indeed impliment this mechanism...just like the nforce2 unlocks the amd chips...

I remember years ago when intel started locking the multiplyer on cpus everyone though overclocking would die...but it is still here...

All of this is only true if indeed intel does decide to impliment this feature (of no real putpose IMO).

44. Thanx for the link BTW

45. I wonder why intel have to deter o/c if they can detect it.
    Now they can unlock the multipliers(there is no risk to them by doing that).Let the common man work with a O/c computer!!!!
    Another point is ,if intel unlock the multiplier, the hardcore AMD fans will rethink.U know, now intel is cheaper than AMD in highperfomance and middle level processors.As this hardcore people are surely hardware freaks they will be start thinking in the intel way(their strong argument is AMDs overclockability and price,right).
    So let us hope Intel will use the O/c detection(not deter) in the right way!
  46. all depends how you look at it...more overclockers would buy good...but people will end up saving $$ and buying a lesser cpu that they normally would so they could O/C

So easy to fry yet tastes so good...
    Silicon: The other, other, other white meat :evil:
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Detection Intel