Windows 7 crashes when connecting to internet

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
This is an interesting issue. I would recommend trying the following:

1. Boot in to Safe Mode and see if this still happens. If you're unsure as to how to boot into Safe Mode, Google it.
2. Go to Start->All Programs->Accessories-> Command Prompt. Type in the command "sfc /scannow" (without quotes) and hit enter. This will scan your Windows installation to make sure all the Windows files are neither corrupted nor missing.
3. You should run a virus scan. If you can't update your virus scanner, then download the Kaspersky Rescue CD image file and burn it to a CD. Boot your computer from that CD and scan for viruses. It will remove any infections it finds.

I hope at least some of this helps!

mjamessimmons

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013

I have the same issue: Windows 7 goes into restart/shell/restart/shell loop whenever I get to the point where the net is available (enable services that allow net to be used). My CD drive is invisible and thus I cannot use it to boot up. F8, F12, F2 keys do not get me to safe mode, or other boot options. I can get to safe mode via Windows key + R for run dialogue box, msconfig, set boot option to safe---but man I've got to be quick as I have only a few second before restart begins. Whew! What a pain this has been for a regular Joe. Once in safe mode I can set services and startups so the system doesn't crash, but I do not know how to get rid of the registry issue(s) or BIOS issue(s). How can I introduce a good malware program that will get in there and kick some butt?