DVD ROM has stopped recognizing DVDs

I have an LG DVD-ROM Model DRD8160B that has stopped recognizing DVD movies.
The DVD won't even show up in Explorer; it just says "Please insert disk."
The drive plays a music CD all right and recognizes a CD-ROM with files on
it.

Windows XP SP2.

Thanks for any help.
--
Bearman
America: Land of the free because of the brave.

Malke

bearman wrote:

> I have an LG DVD-ROM Model DRD8160B that has stopped recognizing DVD
> movies. The DVD won't even show up in Explorer; it just says "Please
> insert disk." The drive plays a music CD all right and recognizes a
> CD-ROM with files on it.
>
> Windows XP SP2.

DVD/CD combo drives have two lasers, one for the cd's and one for the
dvd's. It would appear that the dvd part of the drive has failed.
Replace it. DVD/CD-ROM drives are very inexpensive.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

> bearman wrote:
>

>> I have an LG DVD-ROM Model DRD8160B that has stopped recognizing DVD
>> movies. The DVD won't even show up in Explorer; it just says "Please
>> insert disk." The drive plays a music CD all right and recognizes a
>> CD-ROM with files on it.
>>
>> Windows XP SP2.
>>
> DVD/CD combo drives have two lasers, one for the cd's and one for the
> dvd's. It would appear that the dvd part of the drive has failed.
> Replace it. DVD/CD-ROM drives are very inexpensive.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com