Files backed up to disk

August 22, 2005 8:47:14 PM

I'm using Win XP Professional, service pack 2. I'm using New Tech
Infosystems, NTI to back up certain data files in Quicken and Windows Word.

My problem is analogous to the old joke, " How do we know the light goes out
when we close the refrigerator door?" How do I know the data I want to keep
is really on the disk? I have no reason to restore, since both applications
mentioned above are functioning normally.

Thanks

More about : files backed disk

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 1:17:03 AM

Without doing a test restore, you will never know if you are getting
competent backups. Change the name of a couple of files you have previously
backed up. Then restore the files from the backup. See if the backup works
and that the file sizes/dates are the same (assuming that the file has not
changed since you backed it up).

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"gilgamesh" <gilgamesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Win XP Professional, service pack 2. I'm using New Tech
> Infosystems, NTI to back up certain data files in Quicken and Windows
> Word.
>
> My problem is analogous to the old joke, " How do we know the light goes
> out
> when we close the refrigerator door?" How do I know the data I want to
> keep
> is really on the disk? I have no reason to restore, since both
> applications
> mentioned above are functioning normally.
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 6:26:30 PM

"gilgamesh" <gilgamesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Win XP Professional, service pack 2. I'm using New Tech
> Infosystems, NTI to back up certain data files in Quicken and Windows
> Word.
>
> My problem is analogous to the old joke, " How do we know the light goes
> out
> when we close the refrigerator door?" How do I know the data I want to
> keep
> is really on the disk? I have no reason to restore, since both
> applications
> mentioned above are functioning normally.

I use Second Copy to back up. It simply puts a copy of the file to wherever
you want it. You can then access this copied file and see if it's what it
says it is. I don't know whether NTI backs up in this simple way or whether
it transmutes the files into some compressed/altered form which actually
requires a *restore* to open, but if it does then I would regard it as a
pain. Some progs need that prog to restore files. Second Copy simply needs
the original application.

Rob Graham
Related resources
August 23, 2005 6:26:31 PM

Rob graham wrote:

> "gilgamesh" <gilgamesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I'm using Win XP Professional, service pack 2. I'm using New Tech
>> Infosystems, NTI to back up certain data files in Quicken and Windows
>> Word.
>>
>> My problem is analogous to the old joke, " How do we know the light
>> goes out
>> when we close the refrigerator door?" How do I know the data I want
>> to keep
>> is really on the disk? I have no reason to restore, since both
>> applications
>> mentioned above are functioning normally.
>>

> I use Second Copy to back up. It simply puts a copy of the file to
> wherever you want it. You can then access this copied file and see if
> it's what it says it is. I don't know whether NTI backs up in this
> simple way or whether it transmutes the files into some
> compressed/altered form which actually requires a *restore* to open,
> but if it does then I would regard it as a pain. Some progs need that
> prog to restore files. Second Copy simply needs the original
> application.
>
> Rob Graham

I agree with Mr. Graham that SecondCopy is excellent. However, you don't
need the original program to restore the files. The whole point of
SecondCopy is that it is only *copying* the files, not putting them
into a proprietary format that can only be used with certain backup
software.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

=?Utf-8?B?Z2lsZ2FtZXNo?= wrote:

> My problem is analogous to the old joke, " How do we know the light goes out
> when we close the refrigerator door?" How do I know the data I want to keep
> is really on the disk? I have no reason to restore, since both applications
> mentioned above are functioning normally.

Was visiting a buddy in college back when. The number of moths in the
living room was like a horror movie. So he opened up the fridge door,
turned all the other lights off, and they all flew into the fridge.
August 24, 2005 6:40:25 PM

The "What", "When", and "Where" format of Second Copy seems straight forward
enough, but I'm having trouble getting it to copy to a blank disk.

"Malke" wrote:

> Rob graham wrote:
>

> > "gilgamesh" <gilgamesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> I'm using Win XP Professional, service pack 2. I'm using New Tech
> >> Infosystems, NTI to back up certain data files in Quicken and Windows
> >> Word.
> >>
> >> My problem is analogous to the old joke, " How do we know the light
> >> goes out
> >> when we close the refrigerator door?" How do I know the data I want
> >> to keep
> >> is really on the disk? I have no reason to restore, since both
> >> applications
> >> mentioned above are functioning normally.
> >>

> > I use Second Copy to back up. It simply puts a copy of the file to
> > wherever you want it. You can then access this copied file and see if
> > it's what it says it is. I don't know whether NTI backs up in this
> > simple way or whether it transmutes the files into some
> > compressed/altered form which actually requires a *restore* to open,
> > but if it does then I would regard it as a pain. Some progs need that
> > prog to restore files. Second Copy simply needs the original
> > application.
> >
> > Rob Graham
>
> I agree with Mr. Graham that SecondCopy is excellent. However, you don't
> need the original program to restore the files. The whole point of
> SecondCopy is that it is only *copying* the files, not putting them
> into a proprietary format that can only be used with certain backup
> software.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

August 24, 2005 9:06:16 PM

gilgamesh wrote:

> The "What", "When", and "Where" format of Second Copy seems straight
> forward enough, but I'm having trouble getting it to copy to a blank
> disk.

Perhaps it doesn't copy directly to cd? I don't know because as often as
I've used it on my own Windows machines in the past and clients'
machines now, I never have tried to go directly to a cd. I always
funnel the backup to a single "backup" folder, usually on a second hard
drive, to make it easy for the client to burn the one folder to cd or
dvd on a regular basis.

Since you paid for the program, I'm sure that Centered Systems has tech
support that could answer that question for you. I don't have it
installed on any of the working machines here (because they aren't
running Windows) or I would check for you.

Malke
--
!