Cannot boot after resizing with Partition Magic 8.05

I installed PM 8.05 and used it to resize C drive (WinXP OS is there). I
used the auto function to take a 1Gig amount each from drives D, E and F
(about 25+ plus Gig free on each of these on a Seagate 120Gig HDD) to add to
the 1Gig of free space on the C drive. The PM process seemed to go OK (went
into DOS(?) and went through 7 steps to resize, etc) as there were no error
messages. It said at the start it was going to do FAT 32 which is what I had
the drives set up as. At the end PM said it was going to reboot and then the
fan was hit. The boot up stopped at the "DMI Verifying Pool Data" message
and the little line cursor just sat there blinking. I tried to get PM to
load off the PM CD (booted from that) in hopes of finding some solution, but
I got error message #91 which I guess has something to do with Disk Manager
being on the drive (C ?) but not running. Of course I have nothing backed up
because I was just stupid and now I'm in a major panic (can live with
reinstalling Win if I have to but all my important data is sitting in D and
it would be really difficult to try to recreate that if a total format is the
solution. Any and all help will be appreciated, because I'm less than
optimistic that Symantec is going to come through with an answer.
12 answers Last reply
More about cannot boot resizing partition magic

    How many minutes did you leave it at "DMI Verifying Pool Data" before giving up on it?

    Chill a bit. The worst case is that you'll be able to view and salvage your critical files and data with a DOS boot diskette.

    What is PM's error message 91? From Symantec support page "This error is reported if Disk Manager is detected in the first head (head 0) of the hard disk but is not running."

    Does Seagate (your hard rive manufacturer) require the use of a disk manager? why?

    I wonder if you used the Windows mode of PM (versus the so-called dos-text mode of PM) to do your resizing operations. Dos-text mode is the safest to use, especially when resizing the o.s. partition.

    Have you seen this page at Symantec support?
    http://tinyurl.com/7u4hg

    Post back sith your status. I've used PM for a number of years.

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Gary wrote:
    > I installed PM 8.05 and used it to resize C drive (WinXP OS is
    > there). I used the auto function to take a 1Gig amount each from
    > drives D, E and F (about 25+ plus Gig free on each of these on a
    > Seagate 120Gig HDD) to add to the 1Gig of free space on the C drive.
    > The PM process seemed to go OK (went into DOS(?) and went through 7
    > steps to resize, etc) as there were no error messages. It said at
    > the start it was going to do FAT 32 which is what I had the drives
    > set up as. At the end PM said it was going to reboot and then the
    > fan was hit. The boot up stopped at the "DMI Verifying Pool Data"
    > message and the little line cursor just sat there blinking. I tried
    > to get PM to load off the PM CD (booted from that) in hopes of
    > finding some solution, but I got error message #91 which I guess has
    > something to do with Disk Manager being on the drive (C ?) but not
    > running. Of course I have nothing backed up because I was just
    > stupid and now I'm in a major panic (can live with reinstalling Win
    > if I have to but all my important data is sitting in D and it would
    > be really difficult to try to recreate that if a total format is the
    > solution. Any and all help will be appreciated, because I'm less
    > than optimistic that Symantec is going to come through with an
    > answer.

    Thank you for responding Maurice! I will try to answer your questions:

    I left the blinking cursor on for at least a half hour before giving up and
    rebooting, only to stop at the same place again.

    I'm trying to chill, but not doing well. I booted up with my old win ME
    boot disk, and with Fdisk I didn't see Fat32 on the drive info (sizes were
    what they are supposed to be after resizing) so that was upsetting. Then I
    tried to see the dir on C: (which is usually the D: info isn't it?) and I got
    a "invalid media" message which just upped my anxiety. Since some of the
    stuff on D: is source program files (large) not yet burned to CD. I don't
    see how I can burn them and save them from DOS, so I'm just panicking more.

    I read the error #91 message previously, which just confused me. I
    installed the Seagate drive (one of two Barracuda 7200s) after giving up on a
    350Gig WD drive that I just couldn't get to work. The Seagate came with
    install software that included utilities so maybe that is where the disk
    manager came from? I thought it was a Windows or BIOS thing (I am not a
    techy) so removing it or touching it like the Symantec doc said just plain
    scared me. I was not even sure what to look for at the Seagate site to
    answer your question about whether I still need it or not when I went there
    to check.

    I was in Windows when I started PM, but it looked like it shifted out of
    Windows into DOS (based on how the screens looked to me), so I really don't
    know what it was doing, only that I started while in Windows.

    The #91 error only showed up when I tried to run PM after booting with its
    CD. It never said anything about it during the resizing, whatever that means.

    I remember reading (while in PM and up on the "notes section" before doing
    the resize that the process might do something to sys.com and that it might
    have to be put back on, but since nothing works I can't tell you exactly what
    that note was. Maybe it means something to you?

    So, my current status is I'm still stuck and have no idea what to do and
    pacing the floor getting more and more agitated.

    "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

    > How many minutes did you leave it at "DMI Verifying Pool Data" before giving up on it?
    >

    > Chill a bit. The worst case is that you'll be able to view and salvage your critical files and data with a DOS boot diskette.
    >
    > What is PM's error message 91? From Symantec support page "This error is reported if Disk Manager is detected in the first head (head 0) of the hard disk but is not running."
    >
    > Does Seagate (your hard rive manufacturer) require the use of a disk manager? why?
    >
    > I wonder if you used the Windows mode of PM (versus the so-called dos-text mode of PM) to do your resizing operations. Dos-text mode is the safest to use, especially when resizing the o.s. partition.
    >
    > Have you seen this page at Symantec support?
    > http://tinyurl.com/7u4hg
    >
    > Post back sith your status. I've used PM for a number of years.
    >
    > --
    > Maurice N
    > MVP Windows - Shell / User
    > -----
    >

    > Gary wrote:
    > > I installed PM 8.05 and used it to resize C drive (WinXP OS is
    > > there). I used the auto function to take a 1Gig amount each from
    > > drives D, E and F (about 25+ plus Gig free on each of these on a
    > > Seagate 120Gig HDD) to add to the 1Gig of free space on the C drive.
    > > The PM process seemed to go OK (went into DOS(?) and went through 7
    > > steps to resize, etc) as there were no error messages. It said at
    > > the start it was going to do FAT 32 which is what I had the drives
    > > set up as. At the end PM said it was going to reboot and then the
    > > fan was hit. The boot up stopped at the "DMI Verifying Pool Data"
    > > message and the little line cursor just sat there blinking. I tried
    > > to get PM to load off the PM CD (booted from that) in hopes of
    > > finding some solution, but I got error message #91 which I guess has
    > > something to do with Disk Manager being on the drive (C ?) but not
    > > running. Of course I have nothing backed up because I was just
    > > stupid and now I'm in a major panic (can live with reinstalling Win
    > > if I have to but all my important data is sitting in D and it would
    > > be really difficult to try to recreate that if a total format is the
    > > solution. Any and all help will be appreciated, because I'm less
    > > than optimistic that Symantec is going to come through with an
    > > answer.

    Gary,

    This drive can always be moved to another working pc, and hooked up as a secondary drive, where your info could be read and saved in some manner. That's a last resort.

    For now, can you post back: Did you get a retail XP CD? In case there's a need to have you go into Recovery Console?

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Gary wrote:
> [...]
    >>> the start it was going to do FAT 32 which is what I had the drives
    >>> set up as. At the end PM said it was going to reboot and then the
    >>> fan was hit. The boot up stopped at the "DMI Verifying Pool Data"
    >>> message and the little line cursor just sat there blinking. I tried
    >>> to get PM to load off the PM CD (booted from that) in hopes of
    >>> finding some solution, but I got error message #91 which I guess has
    >>> something to do with Disk Manager being on the drive (C ?) but not
    >>> running. Of course I have nothing backed up because I was just
    >>> stupid and now I'm in a major panic (can live with reinstalling Win
    >>> if I have to but all my important data is sitting in D and it would
    >>> be really difficult to try to recreate that if a total format is the
    >>> solution. Any and all help will be appreciated, because I'm less
    >>> than optimistic that Symantec is going to come through with an

    I agree... might need to sleep on it and chil alittle...
    I just purchased Partition Magic 8 and I've used it several times booting
    from the CD. (DOS mode)
    Always best so the OS isn't running during (C:\) partition changes.
    Really don't know much about the recovery disk's and how they work so I wont
    say anything here.
    Except that, you did mention you don't mind re-installing the OS. It's your
    personal files that you are stressed over.
    This might be a good opportunity to purchase a new hard drive, unplugging
    and saving your current one.
    Re-install the OS and your applications and get your machine up and running
    again.
    Then hook up your old messed up drive and copy your data files over to your
    new hard drive.
    Unplug the messed up drive when your not actively searching and copying.
    Give this concept a few weeks or months if you can.
    You'd be suppressed what you'll remember in a few weeks. (remember that
    Christmas card you worked on so hard 2 years ago) You know what I mean.
    After an adequate grace period, plug the old drive back up and remove
    (strip) the partition off it. Then apply a new partition in it's place.
    stripping the original partition will clean it up real good for you. Then
    format your new partition as you see fit.
    THEN... copy (move) all your data files onto this 2nd drive.
    The next time something like this happens. all your important stuff will be
    safe (away from the OS drive) and you'll sleep alittle better.
    And if you ever buy a new computer.... just move your 2nd "data" drive to
    the new system.

    I only mean to be helpful!
    I've been there... I'm with ya man!

    Richard in Va.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++

    Gary wrote:
    > I installed PM 8.05 and used it to resize C drive (WinXP OS is
    > there). I used the auto function to take a 1Gig amount each from
    > drives D, E and F (about 25+ plus Gig free on each of these on a
    > Seagate 120Gig HDD) to add to the 1Gig of free space on the C drive.
    > The PM process seemed to go OK (went into DOS(?) and went through 7
    > steps to resize, etc) as there were no error messages. It said at
    > the start it was going to do FAT 32 which is what I had the drives
    > set up as. At the end PM said it was going to reboot and then the
    > fan was hit. The boot up stopped at the "DMI Verifying Pool Data"
    > message and the little line cursor just sat there blinking. I tried
    > to get PM to load off the PM CD (booted from that) in hopes of
    > finding some solution, but I got error message #91 which I guess has
    > something to do with Disk Manager being on the drive (C ?) but not
    > running. Of course I have nothing backed up because I was just
    > stupid and now I'm in a major panic (can live with reinstalling Win
    > if I have to but all my important data is sitting in D and it would
    > be really difficult to try to recreate that if a total format is the
    > solution. Any and all help will be appreciated, because I'm less
    > than optimistic that Symantec is going to come through with an
    > answer.

    Richard,

    Excellent advice. I'm trying to lead up to having Gary run a CHKDSK from the Recovery Console.

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Richard in Va. wrote:
> [...]
    >> the start it was going to do FAT 32 which is what I had the drives
    >> set up as. At the end PM said it was going to reboot and then the
    >> fan was hit. The boot up stopped at the "DMI Verifying Pool Data"
    >> message and the little line cursor just sat there blinking. I tried
    >> to get PM to load off the PM CD (booted from that) in hopes of
    >> finding some solution, but I got error message #91 which I guess has
    >> something to do with Disk Manager being on the drive (C ?) but not
    >> running. Of course I have nothing backed up because I was just
    >> stupid and now I'm in a major panic (can live with reinstalling Win
    >> if I have to but all my important data is sitting in D and it would
    >> be really difficult to try to recreate that if a total format is the
    >> solution. Any and all help will be appreciated, because I'm less
    >> than optimistic that Symantec is going to come through with an

    Thanks for advice so far. I've already thought about the other HDD angle.
    I'm communicating through my kids' computer now, so I have to wait to check
    in here until they take a break from AIM and games -- it gives me some time
    to think, but I'm still very anxious.

    I haven't heard from Symantec yet, so before I start with a new OS install
    I'll see what they have to say. Maybe they will know what that line was
    about sys.com getting bumped off and needing to be put back was all about in
    PM. Maybe that is all I need to do? Richard, if you are still following
    this saga have you ever seen that dialogue in PM?

    My WinXP CD came with a computer (my kids') I bought a few years back at a
    local computer show. I loaded ME on it though and the XP CD sat until I used
    it to "upgrade" my computer along with some newer parts just recently. I
    could only get it to work within ME. In fact, I just tried to load XP set up
    (thought there might be something in there that would help me fix the
    problem) with the six boot disks routine and that failed for me too on disk
    three (sdd.dll or something like that wouldn't load), so I don't know how to
    get to the Recovery Console or even what it is for that matter.

    I saw in some other posts about some partition table doctor software that
    fixes the boot sector in partitions. Is my problem a boot sector problem and
    would this help instead of a trying the setting up a different HDD routine?

    Cripes! I can't stand not doing something about this. I wish someone could
    just say they've seen this before and I need to do steps 1, 2 and 3 to fix it
    -- without having to reinstall my OS, swap data around and so on.

    Gary wrote:
> [...]
    >>>the start it was going to do FAT 32 which is what I had the drives
    >>>set up as. At the end PM said it was going to reboot and then the
    >>>fan was hit. The boot up stopped at the "DMI Verifying Pool Data"
    >>>message and the little line cursor just sat there blinking. I tried
    >>>to get PM to load off the PM CD (booted from that) in hopes of
    >>>finding some solution, but I got error message #91 which I guess has
    >>>something to do with Disk Manager being on the drive (C ?) but not
    >>>running. Of course I have nothing backed up because I was just
    >>>stupid and now I'm in a major panic (can live with reinstalling Win
    >>>if I have to but all my important data is sitting in D and it would
    >>>be really difficult to try to recreate that if a total format is the
    >>>solution. Any and all help will be appreciated, because I'm less
    >>>than optimistic that Symantec is going to come through with an

    If your drive (physical) is a newer drive and your system
    bios is up-to-date, you do NOT need the 'disk manager
    overlay' If the partitioner did operations with an overly
    installed, the overlay is most likely damaged. You may need
    to run a disaster recovery tool from dos and force a read of
    the system partition (C:). Then try a repair session using
    the Seagate diagnostics diskette. Do the same for your data
    partition/drive and copy/access data files to an external
    tape or cd-r drive using its dos utility/drivers. Very messy.
    Then write zeros to entire drive and reinstall all
    partitions the way you want with the Seagate installer. I
    repeat - DO Not use the drive overlay unless you are forced.

    --
    Lester Stiefel
    In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed

    Number 1: Be sure your CD for XP Home edition is the full retail CD. If it is an OEM please tell us. Else, if it is just a manufacturer's Recovery CD, then it's another issue.

    You need the retail or full OEM CD in order run the Recovery Console. Please look at the label on the CD, and post back. The retail MS CD will explicitly state "Microsoft Windows XP", will have a Version number, the MS logo, plus all sorts of holograms.

    Run a simple (plain) CHKDSK in Recovery Console using Windows XP CD. Just to see what it shows. CHKDSK is XP's equivalent of Scandisk in Win9x/Me.

    Set pc BIOS to boot from CDROM. Place XP CD in drive. Boot from the CD. Select the first option "R" Repair/Recovery Console. Select your Windows partition by number. Usually it is 1 .
    Login to XP with administrator account.

    Then run CHKDSK from the command line. Post back with info.

    Also, Gary, do a DIR C:

    Let's see if it can at least show some basic info on the hard drive.

    References for Recovery Console:
    Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console - Article ID 314058
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

    --
    Maurice N
    MVP Windows - Shell / User

    Gary wrote:
    > Thanks for advice so far. I've already thought about the other HDD
    > angle. I'm communicating through my kids' computer now, so I have to
    > wait to check in here until they take a break from AIM and games --
    > it gives me some time to think, but I'm still very anxious.
    >
    > I haven't heard from Symantec yet, so before I start with a new OS
    > install I'll see what they have to say. Maybe they will know what
    > that line was about sys.com getting bumped off and needing to be put
    > back was all about in PM. Maybe that is all I need to do? Richard,
    > if you are still following this saga have you ever seen that dialogue
    > in PM?
    >
    > My WinXP CD came with a computer (my kids') I bought a few years back
    > at a local computer show. I loaded ME on it though and the XP CD sat
    > until I used it to "upgrade" my computer along with some newer parts
    > just recently. I could only get it to work within ME. In fact, I
    > just tried to load XP set up (thought there might be something in
    > there that would help me fix the problem) with the six boot disks
    > routine and that failed for me too on disk three (sdd.dll or
    > something like that wouldn't load), so I don't know how to get to the
    > Recovery Console or even what it is for that matter.
    >
    > I saw in some other posts about some partition table doctor software
    > that fixes the boot sector in partitions. Is my problem a boot
    > sector problem and would this help instead of a trying the setting up
    > a different HDD routine?
    >
    > Cripes! I can't stand not doing something about this. I wish
    > someone could just say they've seen this before and I need to do
    > steps 1, 2 and 3 to fix it
    > -- without having to reinstall my OS, swap data around and so on.
    >
    > "Maurice N ~ MVP" wrote:

    Sys.com is an msdos thing, not applicable to XP. It places the msdos boot
    files on C:, and indicates the location in the partition boot record.
    Tend to lean towards you may have a DDO installed as noted by "NoStop".
    In the future, reduce partition changes to one change at a time. Reboot
    after each is completed, and verify proper change.
    "Gary" <Gary@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > > the start it was going to do FAT 32 which is what I had the drives
    > > > set up as. At the end PM said it was going to reboot and then the
    > > > fan was hit. The boot up stopped at the "DMI Verifying Pool Data"
    > > > message and the little line cursor just sat there blinking. I tried
    > > > to get PM to load off the PM CD (booted from that) in hopes of
    > > > finding some solution, but I got error message #91 which I guess has
    > > > something to do with Disk Manager being on the drive (C ?) but not
    > > > running. Of course I have nothing backed up because I was just
    > > > stupid and now I'm in a major panic (can live with reinstalling Win
    > > > if I have to but all my important data is sitting in D and it would
    > > > be really difficult to try to recreate that if a total format is the
    > > > solution. Any and all help will be appreciated, because I'm less
    > > > than optimistic that Symantec is going to come through with an

    begin  trojan.vbs ... On Monday 22 August 2005 05:08 pm, Gary had this to
    say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

    > I installed PM 8.05 and used it to resize C drive (WinXP OS is there). I
    > used the auto function to take a 1Gig amount each from drives D, E and F
    > (about 25+ plus Gig free on each of these on a Seagate 120Gig HDD) to add
    > the 1Gig of free space on the C drive. The PM process seemed to go OK
    > (went into DOS(?) and went through 7 steps to resize, etc) as there were
    > no error
    > messages. It said at the start it was going to do FAT 32 which is what I
    > had
    > the drives set up as. At the end PM said it was going to reboot and then
    > the
    > fan was hit. The boot up stopped at the "DMI Verifying Pool Data" message
    > and the little line cursor just sat there blinking. I tried to get PM to
    > load off the PM CD (booted from that) in hopes of finding some solution,
    > but I got error message #91 which I guess has something to do with Disk
    > Manager
    > being on the drive (C ?) but not running. Of course I have nothing backed
    > up because I was just stupid and now I'm in a major panic (can live with
    > reinstalling Win if I have to but all my important data is sitting in D
    > and it would be really difficult to try to recreate that if a total format
    > is the
    > solution. Any and all help will be appreciated, because I'm less than
    > optimistic that Symantec is going to come through with an answer.

    If your problems are related to a corrupted MBR that used a dynamic drive
    overlay (DDO), you might find enough info here to get you fixed and going
    again ...

    http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/howto/use_dwse_maint.html

    Best of Luck!

    --
    Have you been MicroShafted today?
    To mess up a Linux box, you need to work *at* it.

    Gary,
    Looks like you got some good help here.
    No, I haven't seen the error messages you ask about, no am I knowledgeable
    enough to be of much help here.

    I recently bought a new Dell system at work that came with a 160GB drive.
    Most of it consumed by a basic (active) partition for drive C.
    Dell would not partition the drive as I wanted so I purchased Partition
    Magic 8.
    The booklet said I could boot from the CD and use the DOS utility to change
    the partition structure so I felt this to be a safe approach.
    But before I used the CD, I used the installed XP-Pro OS to defrag the drive
    to help scoot everything in drive C: towards the front of the drive.
    The OS and applications installed by Dell used ~8GB of drive space and I
    wanted to reduce drive C: and it's partition to 30GB.
    Then I inserted the PM CD and did a cold boot. Using the PM DOS utility I
    reduced the partition containing drive C: from ~160GB to 30GB.
    The PM DOS utility is not a real pretty thing to look at but nothing to
    sneeze at either. From looking through the menus, it seems to be feature
    rich.
    I left the unused space I just created alone for now. Then I removed the CD
    and powered down and did another cold boot. A normal boot into the Win-XP
    OS. Everything ran fine. The "Found New Hardware" wizard lit up and did
    whatever it did and went away. I guess the change in size of drive C: caused
    that. After alittle time and comfortable with things, I used Win-XP
    "Computer Management" to create an extended partition with several logical
    drives with the remaining space. (with the OS running).
    I have not installed the Partition Magic program on my computer, I've just
    booted from it.
    Now if you wind up purchasing a new hard drive with it in mind to carry over
    to a new machine when that day comes. Try to make a personal evaluation. The
    newer computers these days come with Serial (SATA) hard drives. They have
    faster transfer rates and are quickly becoming the norm. If your current
    system does not have a SATA controller. You might consider finding an
    economical SATA controller that will install into a PCI slot on your main
    board. More money I know, but when you move your new drive (with your
    important data files) to the new future computer, you should also be able to
    use the SATA controller as well. I don't want to talk you out of all your
    money. The point is that the new drive wont become a dinosaur on day one
    with your new computer. ( I assume everybody will one day buy a new
    computer).
    My Dell system at work is a Dimension 9100 and I found it on the "Outrageous
    Deals" web page at Dell.com. On the motherboard it has (4) SATA interfaces
    and (1) IDE interface. The IDE (40/80 pin flat ribbon) is used by the CD
    drives.
    I personally love having multiple physical hard drives. I have (4) in my
    system at home. (1) for OS and applications, (1) for my personal data files,
    (1) for backup and (1) for media stuff (photos and music). These (3)
    additional drives will move into a new system when that day comes, and that
    day is getting nearer.

    Anyway, I wish you luck with your delima!

    Richard in Va.
    PS: is there a full user manual in pdf format on the PM CD that might
    provide some ideas?
    +++++++++++++++++++++

> [...]
    >> > How many minutes did you leave it at "DMI Verifying Pool Data" before
    >> > giving up on it?
    >> >

    >> > Chill a bit. The worst case is that you'll be able to view and
    >> > salvage your critical files and data with a DOS boot diskette.
    >> >
    >> > What is PM's error message 91? From Symantec support page "This
    >> > error is reported if Disk Manager is detected in the first head (head
    >> > 0) of the hard disk but is not running."
    >> >
    >> > Does Seagate (your hard rive manufacturer) require the use of a disk
    >> > manager? why?
    >> >
    >> > I wonder if you used the Windows mode of PM (versus the so-called
    >> > dos-text mode of PM) to do your resizing operations. Dos-text mode
    >> > is the safest to use, especially when resizing the o.s. partition.
    >> >
    >> > Have you seen this page at Symantec support?
    >> > http://tinyurl.com/7u4hg
    >> >
    >> > Post back sith your status. I've used PM for a number of years.

    Well, in case someone is considering Partition Magic 8 I thought I would
    bring this saga to a close. Using Partition Table Doctor I was able to
    repair the boot sector, which must have been the problem. However, even
    though the machine now booted into C:, when it tried to start windows I got a
    number of messages about missing or corrupted files. In the end, I gave up
    (never heard from Symantec unless their email got lost in the mess) and
    started over with a new hard drive. I kept the one with my data on it and
    brought it back in as a slave drive. Initially, when I tried to open the
    logical drives that held my data my newly installed Windows told me the
    drives were not formatted. I went back to DOS and used PTD to fix the boot
    sector on those logical drives, booted back into Windows and was able to get
    to my data. Nightmare over! Finally! Final word from me: Symantec's
    Partition Magic 8.05 and its customer support are bad news and Partition
    Table Doctor (at a fraction of the cost) may need to make a house call to
    solve your ills and improve your news.

    "NoStop" wrote:

    > begin trojan.vbs ... On Monday 22 August 2005 05:08 pm, Gary had this to
    > say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
    >
    > > I installed PM 8.05 and used it to resize C drive (WinXP OS is there). I
    > > used the auto function to take a 1Gig amount each from drives D, E and F
    > > (about 25+ plus Gig free on each of these on a Seagate 120Gig HDD) to add
    > > the 1Gig of free space on the C drive. The PM process seemed to go OK
    > > (went into DOS(?) and went through 7 steps to resize, etc) as there were
    > > no error
    > > messages. It said at the start it was going to do FAT 32 which is what I
    > > had
    > > the drives set up as. At the end PM said it was going to reboot and then
    > > the
    > > fan was hit. The boot up stopped at the "DMI Verifying Pool Data" message
    > > and the little line cursor just sat there blinking. I tried to get PM to
    > > load off the PM CD (booted from that) in hopes of finding some solution,
    > > but I got error message #91 which I guess has something to do with Disk
    > > Manager
    > > being on the drive (C ?) but not running. Of course I have nothing backed
    > > up because I was just stupid and now I'm in a major panic (can live with
    > > reinstalling Win if I have to but all my important data is sitting in D
    > > and it would be really difficult to try to recreate that if a total format
    > > is the
    > > solution. Any and all help will be appreciated, because I'm less than
    > > optimistic that Symantec is going to come through with an answer.
    >
    > If your problems are related to a corrupted MBR that used a dynamic drive
    > overlay (DDO), you might find enough info here to get you fixed and going
    > again ...
    >
    > http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/howto/use_dwse_maint.html
    >
    > Best of Luck!
    >

    > --
    > Have you been MicroShafted today?
    > To mess up a Linux box, you need to work *at* it.
    > To mess up a Windows box, you need to work *on* it.

Partition Magic Windows XP