Windows Will Not Load Up - Error - HELP!

dakang

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2003
I posted this in the XP Forum, but no one seems to go there or responds, so hopefully some of you can solve my dilemma.

Hello guys.

When I'm loading up windows xp now I dont get the Windows Xp logo image where the bar moves under the logo. All I get is a blank screen, then this message pops up:

Windoes could not start because the following files were missing or corrupt:
<Windows root.\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Which file am I missing and how can I fix this problem.

Thanks a lot for all your input guys.

BTW:
I tried running the boot agent, pressing F12 after bios load-up, and it says no boot filename found and exits, so I cant go into safe mode and system restore.

dakang

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2003
not at all.

System Specs:

MSI K7N2 NForce 2 Mobo
AMD Athlon XP 2200+
256Mb Kingston Hyper X 3500
ATI Radeon 9700 128Mb
40GB Maxtor
350W PSU

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
just asked because sometimes when windows is loading and you have an unstable system things like this happen...sounds like you just need to reinstall windows...boot from the windows cd and reinstall windows.

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Some files are modified for your configuration, others are left in tact. I have a feeling that this .exe was left in tact. If that's the case, you can copy it from another computer onto removable media and transfer it to the new location. Unfortunately you probably used NTFS format and won't be able to do it from a dos bootdisk. But there are other ways to do it, such as using Windows PE to boot.

Of course, you could simply do a repair install. When you boot off an XP CD, choose the repair option from the SECOND screen that offers it (the first one takes you to console mode).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
Problem is that it is a rather large exe file - at 1.94 megs, it probably wont fit on a standard floppy. If you used fat 32 and have an old boot disk from win98/me you could burn it to a cd. If you need help with the dos, just ask.

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
repairing the installation would be much easier...also if you are using NTFS you could be in real trouble

endyen...i need some dos advice...do you know of any FREE dos utilities that allow a fat16 dos installation (dos 6.22) to recognise a fat32 partition.

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil:

Maverick494

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003
NTOSKRNL.exe is one of the NT Kernel files that is the core of the OS. It is the first thing that attempts to load (Safe Mode or no). I had this happen in serveral instances. 1 was overclocking the PCI bus too far (your not doing that). 2 My 40GB IBM Deathstar finally died. 3 I had just crashed out a windows update and that coruppted my install. In any case the answer is to either use repair console to reload that file (and hope that there are no others that have problems) or to just to a re-install (no need to format, just re-install).

Just a computer junky

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Did it start doing this after an update or did you install WinXP over another OS? Either way you need to either use the repair console, which I doubt it would fix this, so I would strongly suggest low level format and reinstall os.

If the problem persists afterwards, Id be looking at either the ram, mobo, or hard drive.

randy66

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
also , try setting BIOS to default or lower memory timings , I've seen this with hyperX memory , when memory timings too aggressive try 2.5-3-3-6