Outlook express could not be started

I defragged my harddrive and now when I launch outlook express I get the
message "Outlook Express could not be started. The application was unable to
open the Outlook Express message store. Your computer may be out of memory
or your disk is full. Contact Microsoft support for further assistance."
When I click OK I get the message "Outlook Express could not be started
because MDOE.dll could not be inialized. All the files appear correct in the
c:\program files\outlook express folder. I have not done anything to the
registery. Any ideas?
--
Steve W
7 answers Last reply

    See http://www.insideoe.com/problems/errors.htm#crash

    General OE Caveats:

    - Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
    folders created for this purpose.

    - Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

    - Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
    compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
    http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm.

    - Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if
    Automatic Compacting is taking place (WinXP SP2 only).

    - Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause
    corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
    --
    OE6-specific newsgroup:
    OE General newsgroup:

    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    Steve W wrote:
    > I defragged my harddrive and now when I launch outlook express I get the
    > message "Outlook Express could not be started. The application was
    > unable to open the Outlook Express message store. Your computer may be
    > out of memory or your disk is full. Contact Microsoft support for
    > further assistance." When I click OK I get the message "Outlook Express
    > could not be started because MDOE.dll could not be inialized. All the
    > files appear correct in the c:\program files\outlook express folder. I
    > have not done anything to the registery. Any ideas?

    Rename the Folders.dbx file:
    1. Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
    2. In the Named box, type folders.dbx.
    3. In the Look In box, click your primary hard disk (usually drive C), and then click
    Find Now.
    4. Right-click the Folders.dbx file, and then click Rename.
    5. Type folders.old, and then click OK.
    Start Outlook Express. This creates a new Folders.dbx file automatically.

    You can always reverse this if not happy.

    Otherwise you may need to post to the OE Newsgroup.
    OE6-specific newsgroup:
    (OE client)
    or
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress&lang=en&cr=US
    (Web Client)

    Steve W wrote:
    > I defragged my harddrive and now when I launch outlook express I get
    > the message "Outlook Express could not be started. The application
    > was unable to open the Outlook Express message store. Your computer
    > may be out of memory or your disk is full. Contact Microsoft support
    > for further assistance." When I click OK I get the message "Outlook
    > Express could not be started because MDOE.dll could not be inialized.
    > All the files appear correct in the c:\program files\outlook express
    > folder. I have not done anything to the registery. Any ideas?

    Hello TaurArian,

    I searched for a folders.dbx on both the bad computer and this computer,
    which works, and neither have a folders.dbx. These are XP Pro machines. I
    tried an XP restore to an earilier date but that did not work either. Since
    the bad computer has automatic updates turned on, this problem may have been
    caused by a operating system upgrade.
    --
    Steve W

    "TaurArian [MVP]" wrote:

    > Rename the Folders.dbx file:
    > 1. Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
    > 2. In the Named box, type folders.dbx.
    > 3. In the Look In box, click your primary hard disk (usually drive C), and then click
    > Find Now.
    > 4. Right-click the Folders.dbx file, and then click Rename.
    > 5. Type folders.old, and then click OK.
    > Start Outlook Express. This creates a new Folders.dbx file automatically.
    >
    > You can always reverse this if not happy.
    >
    > Otherwise you may need to post to the OE Newsgroup.
    > OE6-specific newsgroup:
    > (OE client)
    > or
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress&lang=en&cr=US
    > (Web Client)
    >

    > Steve W wrote:
    > > I defragged my harddrive and now when I launch outlook express I get
    > > the message "Outlook Express could not be started. The application
    > > was unable to open the Outlook Express message store. Your computer
    > > may be out of memory or your disk is full. Contact Microsoft support
    > > for further assistance." When I click OK I get the message "Outlook
    > > Express could not be started because MDOE.dll could not be inialized.
    > > All the files appear correct in the c:\program files\outlook express
    > > folder. I have not done anything to the registery. Any ideas?

    I did not realize folder.dbx was a hidden file. I found it and renamed it
    like you said but OE still will not start. I'll post this question on the OE
    site, thanks.

    --
    Steve W

    "Steve W" wrote:

    > Hello TaurArian,
    >
    > I searched for a folders.dbx on both the bad computer and this computer,
    > which works, and neither have a folders.dbx. These are XP Pro machines. I
    > tried an XP restore to an earilier date but that did not work either. Since
    > the bad computer has automatic updates turned on, this problem may have been
    > caused by a operating system upgrade.
    > --
    > Steve W
    >

    > "TaurArian [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > Rename the Folders.dbx file:
    > > 1. Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
    > > 2. In the Named box, type folders.dbx.
    > > 3. In the Look In box, click your primary hard disk (usually drive C), and then click
    > > Find Now.
    > > 4. Right-click the Folders.dbx file, and then click Rename.
    > > 5. Type folders.old, and then click OK.
    > > Start Outlook Express. This creates a new Folders.dbx file automatically.
    > >
    > > You can always reverse this if not happy.
    > >
    > > Otherwise you may need to post to the OE Newsgroup.
    > > OE6-specific newsgroup:
    > > (OE client)
    > > or
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress&lang=en&cr=US
    > > (Web Client)
    > >

    > > Steve W wrote:
    > > > I defragged my harddrive and now when I launch outlook express I get
    > > > the message "Outlook Express could not be started. The application
    > > > was unable to open the Outlook Express message store. Your computer
    > > > may be out of memory or your disk is full. Contact Microsoft support
    > > > for further assistance." When I click OK I get the message "Outlook
    > > > Express could not be started because MDOE.dll could not be inialized.
    > > > All the files appear correct in the c:\program files\outlook express
    > > > folder. I have not done anything to the registery. Any ideas?

    Did you enable show All Files in Folder Options. You must have this enabled for you to get to the folders.dbx. Otherwise you will get the result that you just got (cannot find it)

    --
    Peter

    "Steve W" <SteveW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89FA47DC-AD63-4AE1-BE5F-BD6A07357B39@microsoft.com...
    > Hello TaurArian,
    >
    > I searched for a folders.dbx on both the bad computer and this computer,
    > which works, and neither have a folders.dbx. These are XP Pro machines. I
    > tried an XP restore to an earilier date but that did not work either. Since
    > the bad computer has automatic updates turned on, this problem may have been
    > caused by a operating system upgrade.
    > --
    > Steve W
    >

    > "TaurArian [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Rename the Folders.dbx file:
    >> 1. Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
    >> 2. In the Named box, type folders.dbx.
    >> 3. In the Look In box, click your primary hard disk (usually drive C), and then click
    >> Find Now.
    >> 4. Right-click the Folders.dbx file, and then click Rename.
    >> 5. Type folders.old, and then click OK.
    >> Start Outlook Express. This creates a new Folders.dbx file automatically.
    >>
    >> You can always reverse this if not happy.
    >>
    >> Otherwise you may need to post to the OE Newsgroup.
    >> OE6-specific newsgroup:
    >> (OE client)
    >> or
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress&lang=en&cr=US
    >> (Web Client)
    >>

    >> Steve W wrote:
    >> > I defragged my harddrive and now when I launch outlook express I get
    >> > the message "Outlook Express could not be started. The application
    >> > was unable to open the Outlook Express message store. Your computer
    >> > may be out of memory or your disk is full. Contact Microsoft support
    >> > for further assistance." When I click OK I get the message "Outlook
    >> > Express could not be started because MDOE.dll could not be inialized.
    >> > All the files appear correct in the c:\program files\outlook express
    >> > folder. I have not done anything to the registery. Any ideas?

    Hello Peter,

    I was successful in finding folders.dbx but that did not fix the problem. I
    was able to get it to work though by going in the folder where all the emails
    are stored (search on *.dbx) and turning off the read only attributes on all
    the files. This allowed me to get into OE but now when I try to open the
    address book I get the error "Unable to open the address book." I also can't
    open any of my emails though I can preview them. I deleted all WAB files but
    I can't rename the folders.dbx file, it thinks it's in use by another
    program. To throw another wrench into things, I can open the address book
    from the start menu. Any ideas?
    --
    Steve W

    "Peter Foldes" wrote:

    > Did you enable show All Files in Folder Options. You must have this enabled for you to get to the folders.dbx. Otherwise you will get the result that you just got (cannot find it)
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    > "Steve W" <SteveW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89FA47DC-AD63-4AE1-BE5F-BD6A07357B39@microsoft.com...
    > > Hello TaurArian,
    > >
    > > I searched for a folders.dbx on both the bad computer and this computer,
    > > which works, and neither have a folders.dbx. These are XP Pro machines. I
    > > tried an XP restore to an earilier date but that did not work either. Since
    > > the bad computer has automatic updates turned on, this problem may have been
    > > caused by a operating system upgrade.
    > > --
    > > Steve W
    > >

    > > "TaurArian [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Rename the Folders.dbx file:
    > >> 1. Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
    > >> 2. In the Named box, type folders.dbx.
    > >> 3. In the Look In box, click your primary hard disk (usually drive C), and then click
    > >> Find Now.
    > >> 4. Right-click the Folders.dbx file, and then click Rename.
    > >> 5. Type folders.old, and then click OK.
    > >> Start Outlook Express. This creates a new Folders.dbx file automatically.
    > >>
    > >> You can always reverse this if not happy.
    > >>
    > >> Otherwise you may need to post to the OE Newsgroup.
    > >> OE6-specific newsgroup:
    > >> (OE client)
    > >> or
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress&lang=en&cr=US
    > >> (Web Client)

    Did your search include "hidden files"?
    Located mine under Documents and Settings \ User Name \ Local settings \ Application
    Data \ Identities \ long number file name \ microsoft \ outlook express

    Steve W wrote:
    > Hello TaurArian,
    >
    > I searched for a folders.dbx on both the bad computer and this
    > computer, which works, and neither have a folders.dbx. These are XP
    > Pro machines. I tried an XP restore to an earilier date but that did
    > not work either. Since the bad computer has automatic updates turned
    > on, this problem may have been caused by a operating system upgrade.
    >
    >> Rename the Folders.dbx file:
    >> 1. Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
    >> 2. In the Named box, type folders.dbx.
    >> 3. In the Look In box, click your primary hard disk (usually drive
    >> C), and then click Find Now.
    >> 4. Right-click the Folders.dbx file, and then click Rename.
    >> 5. Type folders.old, and then click OK.
    >> Start Outlook Express. This creates a new Folders.dbx file
    >> automatically.
    >>
    >> You can always reverse this if not happy.
    >>
    >> Otherwise you may need to post to the OE Newsgroup.
    >> OE6-specific newsgroup:
    >> (OE client)
    >> or
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress&lang=en&cr=US
    >> (Web Client)
    >>

    >> Steve W wrote:
    >>> I defragged my harddrive and now when I launch outlook express I get
    >>> the message "Outlook Express could not be started. The application
    >>> was unable to open the Outlook Express message store. Your computer
    >>> may be out of memory or your disk is full. Contact Microsoft
    >>> support for further assistance." When I click OK I get the message
    >>> "Outlook Express could not be started because MDOE.dll could not be
    >>> inialized. All the files appear correct in the c:\program
    >>> files\outlook express folder. I have not done anything to the
    >>> registery. Any ideas?

Outlook Express Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP