Attn: STNNG Owners Input needed

Last response: in Video Games
July 12, 2005 8:35:45 AM

I am going to look at a STNNG later this week. Can you all tell me
what to look for when evaluating the game? Things on the playfield that
stick out, wear, where they are, are the cannons "explosive"..I do have
a T2 and my cannon fires pretty good..I've never played a STNNG but am
very interested.

Thanks in advance,
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 9:16:17 AM

yes I saw that..thanks..
July 12, 2005 10:52:17 AM

Make sure you look at the back up/down target. When I got mine one of
the coils was shorted as well as the complementing transistor on the
aux driver board. That target takes some abuse.

Also take a look at the trough optos and see if any hacks were done
down there.

Other than the billion optos too.... but those are easy to replace...

GI connector.. but that's probably a given already.... :)

The Neutral Zone is a wear spot.... (Cliffy to the rescue!)

All 3 ramp entrances can take a beating.....

I'm sure others here will have much more info for you too, I'm just
adding what I can think of off the top of my skull....

Good luck!
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 11:14:40 AM

What bob said...

The neutral zone... (if it has damage, the cliffy protector is a must
regardless)

The trough boards... are typically damaged you will probably need new
ones..

Opto's Opto's Opto's everywhere.

You may have a credit dot because the borg ship ramp wasnt hit in a
while... so if there is a credit dot dont panic.. check what it is....

And the typical GI burn connectors...

CANNON LOOMS.. are replaceble and notoriously bad... 20$ or so...
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 4:01:26 PM

Otto, Its hard to find one WITHOUT those inserts seperating... at least
some what....
July 12, 2005 4:41:47 PM

Give all the inserts a good look.

For some reason this machine seems to be prone to the diamondplate
seperating from the inserts. It will manifest itself in the form of a white
cloudy appearance.

Tough to spot if it is a typical route game and is dirty.

Wipe it clean and give it a good look. Take some Novus 2 with you if it is
dirty.

Otto

CARGPB11

July 12, 2005 4:43:15 PM

Ugh... that reminds me.... I'll need looms soon.... thanks... ;)

(I like your 20$ or so price..... got any?)
July 12, 2005 7:31:52 PM

I agree.

Some are worse than others.

Otto

CARGPB11

<hreimer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Otto, Its hard to find one WITHOUT those inserts seperating... at least
> some what....

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 10:04:08 PM

HI extech,

My advice, play the game for a minimum of 20-30 minutes straight. A
four player game should suffice. You will find what works and doesn't.
I've rebuilt an STNG under and over and found that there is more
hardware under than over. Pin tech expertise is fundamental as it
relates to this game. Once properly functional, you have a gem on your
hands!!

Here's to the Final Frontier,

July 13, 2005 11:59:10 AM

Thanks everyone...what is a GI burn connector? What exactly am I
looking at when i see it, or what should it look like? My expertise on
pins is increasing but not where I would like it to be...yet that is.
With everones help here it is improving. When you say a trough board
what are you referring to? Are they pretty easy to replace? Thanks-
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 12:02:51 PM

Otto<

For some reason this machine seems to be prone to the diamondplate
seperating from the inserts. It will manifest itself in the form of a
white
cloudy appearance.

On my T2 the mylar on the 5 bank targets seems to be coming up a
bit...though what you describe (white bubbly, almost cloudy) apperance,
makes me wonder..Is it the mylar or the diamondplate...I'm thinking its
the mylar..There was a piece added there I'm assuming because its a
high wear spot..there is also some around the bumpers..but that mylar
is fine...what do you think?

Extech
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 6:12:42 PM

Look at the connectors at J115, J120 & J121 on the power driver board.
Burning is just what it sounds like, a brownish, darkened, toasty
appearance to what was originally a white plastic connector.

Much info here on the whys & wherefors of burnt connectors. The
trough boards are PCBs attached to the ball trough (where the balls
collect). Again, do a search, much info on this, another known
problem....vibration causes problems with components on the boards
(resistors & optos).

alex
!