Shutdown and Restart Icon

Is there a way I can make a shutdown and log off button on my desktop so that
when I double click on them it either shuts the computer off or restarts it
intstead of going to the start menu?

Create a shortcut with the following in the "target" line.

reboot in 5 seconds = C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -r -t 05

Shutdown in 5 seconds = C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 05

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

|>Create a shortcut with the following in the "target" line.
|>
|>reboot in 5 seconds = C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -r -t 05
|>
|>Shutdown in 5 seconds = C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 05

The -r is how I shutdown my system, well really:
E:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -r -t 0

I also put it in the quick launch bar - it's one click and I'm down.

<Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov> wrote in message
> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> |>Create a shortcut with the following in the "target" line.
> |>
> |>reboot in 5 seconds = C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -r -t 05
> |>
> |>Shutdown in 5 seconds = C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 05
>
> The -r is how I shutdown my system, well really:
> E:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -r -t 0
>
> I also put it in the quick launch bar - it's one click and I'm down.

How does the "-r" shutdown your system? With the "-r" switch it should
*reboot* your system.

--
William

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote:

|><Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov> wrote in message

|>> The -r is how I shutdown my system, well really:
|>> E:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -r -t 0
|>>
|>> I also put it in the quick launch bar - it's one click and I'm down.

|>How does the "-r" shutdown your system? With the "-r" switch it should
|>*reboot* your system.

I've a newer computer and to shutdown I just hit the button, I multi
boot, to change systems I want to restart not shutdown.

So I use -r the OP I imagine would want to use -s.

I don't understand what you are getting at here!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

<Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov> wrote in message
> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> |>Create a shortcut with the following in the "target" line.
> |>
> |>reboot in 5 seconds = C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -r -t 05
> |>
> |>Shutdown in 5 seconds = C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 05
>
> The -r is how I shutdown my system, well really:
> E:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -r -t 0
>
> I also put it in the quick launch bar - it's one click and I'm down.
> --
>
> http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/bunny.php

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

|>I don't understand what you are getting at here!

?, agree'd with your method, and add'd that if one were to put it into
the quick launch menu one click is all it takes. And at 20K it's
nothing to have it sit in memory.

It's how I do it.

|>--
|>Regards,
|>
|>Richard Urban
|>Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
|>
|>Quote from: George Ankner
|>"If you knew as much as you thought you know,
|>You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
|>
|><Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov> wrote in message

|>> The -r is how I shutdown my system, well really:
|>> E:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -r -t 0
|>>
|>> I also put it in the quick launch bar - it's one click and I'm down.
|>> --
|>>
|>> http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/bunny.php

--

http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/AYB2.swf

This is a cool one.
http://grc.com/wizmo/wizmo.htm

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

ThaMasta wrote:

> Is there a way I can make a shutdown and log off button on my desktop so that
> when I double click on them it either shuts the computer off or restarts it
> intstead of going to the start menu?

One says "reboot" in 5 seconds. The other says "shutdown" in 5 seconds. I
just gave the O/P a second option seeing as he was curious.

--

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> <Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov> wrote in message

>> The -r is how I shutdown my system, well really:
>> E:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -r -t 0
>>
>> I also put it in the quick launch bar - it's one click and I'm down.
>
> How does the "-r" shutdown your system? With the "-r" switch it should
> *reboot* your system.
>
> --
> William

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

Richard Urban [MVP] wrote on Mon, 22 Aug 2005:

>Create a shortcut with the following in the "target" line.
>
>reboot in 5 seconds = C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -r -t 05
>
>Shutdown in 5 seconds = C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 05

Hi ThaMasta

Just wanted to say that if you use Richard's method (above) you can get
icons for your new shortcuts here:

http://www.vanusa.org/page6.html

(at bottom of page, "Shutdown Restart Icons".)

--
Nightowl