sharing between two XP pros

2 xp pro, Sp2 setups. connected through a router. Before both had to be
reinstalled, were seeing each other, using briefcase on the one to the other,
sharing a CD drive, etc.

Reloaded, have a clean slate, and can do whatever anyone suggests, but
currently when going into the laptop and searching "view workgroup computers"
(they are on the same workgroup), get the following:

"[group name] is not accessible. you might not have permission...contact
administrator of the server...
the list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available"

any direction will help. Thanks.
--
Boris
16 answers Last reply

    The second link is a very interesting read about file sharing and permissions:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q304040&ID=KB;EN-US;q304040

    "BorisS" wrote:

    > 2 xp pro, Sp2 setups. connected through a router. Before both had to be
    > reinstalled, were seeing each other, using briefcase on the one to the other,
    > sharing a CD drive, etc.
    >
    > Reloaded, have a clean slate, and can do whatever anyone suggests, but
    > currently when going into the laptop and searching "view workgroup computers"
    > (they are on the same workgroup), get the following:
    >
    > "[group name] is not accessible. you might not have permission...contact
    > administrator of the server...
    > the list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available"
    >
    > any direction will help. Thanks.
    > --
    > Boris

    Did you remember to re-install the drivers for the router? Simple solution,
    but sometimes we forget the little things (Speaking from experience). That's
    why I now connect my system via Firewire. My router is collecting dust in
    the corner.

    In article <019197C8-431A-4866-9E23-1BB58D203C9F@microsoft.com>,
    BorisS <BorisS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >2 xp pro, Sp2 setups. connected through a router. Before both had to be
    >reinstalled, were seeing each other, using briefcase on the one to the other,
    >sharing a CD drive, etc.
    >
    >Reloaded, have a clean slate, and can do whatever anyone suggests, but
    >currently when going into the laptop and searching "view workgroup computers"
    >(they are on the same workgroup), get the following:
    >
    >"[group name] is not accessible. you might not have permission...contact
    >administrator of the server...
    >the list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available"
    >
    >any direction will help. Thanks.

    Network browsing in Windows XP is often unreliable. Instead of using
    My Network Places, access the other computer directly by typing its
    name in the Start | Run box in this format:

    \\computer
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    In article <948ABB10-14C8-4C33-A242-F45150A49E6B@microsoft.com>,
    Divine_si <Divinesi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >> 2 xp pro, Sp2 setups. connected through a router. Before both had to be
    >> reinstalled, were seeing each other, using briefcase on the one to the other,
    >> sharing a CD drive, etc.
    >>
    >> Reloaded, have a clean slate, and can do whatever anyone suggests, but
    >> currently when going into the laptop and searching "view workgroup computers"
    >> (they are on the same workgroup), get the following:
    >>
    >> "[group name] is not accessible. you might not have permission...contact
    >> administrator of the server...
    >> the list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available"
    >>
    >> any direction will help. Thanks.

    >Did you remember to re-install the drivers for the router? Simple solution,
    >but sometimes we forget the little things (Speaking from experience). That's
    >why I now connect my system via Firewire. My router is collecting dust in
    >the corner.

    Drivers for the router? I'm not familiar with any home broadband
    router that requires loading drivers on the computers, and I can't
    imagine why it would be necessary. What router do you have that
    requires drivers?
    --

    BorisS wrote:
    > 2 xp pro, Sp2 setups. connected through a router. Before both had
    > to be reinstalled, were seeing each other, using briefcase on the one
    > to the other, sharing a CD drive, etc.
    >
    > Reloaded, have a clean slate, and can do whatever anyone suggests, but
    > currently when going into the laptop and searching "view workgroup
    > computers" (they are on the same workgroup), get the following:
    >
    > "[group name] is not accessible. you might not have
    > permission...contact administrator of the server...
    > the list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available"
    >
    > any direction will help. Thanks.

    That message usually occurs because you haven't told the desktop that the
    user on the laptop has access. Create a user on the desktop that is the
    identical twin of the one on the laptop. Then run the New Network Wizard on
    both machines and see if that helps.

    In article <#9OA0w6pFHA.4056@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Gordon"
    <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
    >BorisS wrote:
    >> 2 xp pro, Sp2 setups. connected through a router. Before both had
    >> to be reinstalled, were seeing each other, using briefcase on the one
    >> to the other, sharing a CD drive, etc.
    >>
    >> Reloaded, have a clean slate, and can do whatever anyone suggests, but
    >> currently when going into the laptop and searching "view workgroup
    >> computers" (they are on the same workgroup), get the following:
    >>
    >> "[group name] is not accessible. you might not have
    >> permission...contact administrator of the server...
    >> the list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available"
    >>
    >> any direction will help. Thanks.
    >
    >That message usually occurs because you haven't told the desktop that the
    >user on the laptop has access. Create a user on the desktop that is the
    >identical twin of the one on the laptop. Then run the New Network Wizard on
    >both machines and see if that helps.

    That can be good advice for accessing computers that run XP
    Professional. If you've explicitly disabled simple file sharing,
    access to shared disks and folders generally requires matching user
    accounts on both computers.

    Accessing shared disks and folders on computers that run XP Home
    Edition doesn't require matching user accounts. XP Home grants access
    to all users on all computers.

    However, the problem that BorisS describes isn't caused by problems
    with user accounts. It's caused by problems with the network browsing
    function.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Okay, so there are lots of answers on here, and while I am not at home to try
    some, am I understanding correctly that the several opinions are:

    1) set a user in the desktop that is exactly the name of the laptop, and
    that should help (without doing anything else, so long as permissions for
    that user are right?)
    2) router driver (I also have no idea on this one, Steve, as I don't think
    my computers have ever "known" which routers they were plugging into, given
    there is just ethernet connection between them)

    Follow on question, which I know I'll have if/once I get the problem of
    SEEING the drives and folders, and will throw out now...how do I share files
    in XP Pro? Specifically, I was told a few weeks ago that my old system of
    using the briefcase functionality was outdated, and that XP had a better way
    of synchronizing files somehow. I usually like to have the following be
    synched on my computers (again, which I used to accomplish with briefcase and
    paths in the laptop set to the briefcase):

    1) favorites
    2) data (on separate drive of its own in the desktop, apart from the windows
    sysop)

    Thanks for the continued help. Looks like this is a popular topic. :)
    --
    Boris

    Steve Winograd [MVP] wrote:
    > In article <019197C8-431A-4866-9E23-1BB58D203C9F@microsoft.com>,
    > BorisS <BorisS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    >>2 xp pro, Sp2 setups. connected through a router. Before both had to be
    >>reinstalled, were seeing each other, using briefcase on the one to the other,
    >>sharing a CD drive, etc.
    >>
    >>Reloaded, have a clean slate, and can do whatever anyone suggests, but
    >>currently when going into the laptop and searching "view workgroup computers"
    >>(they are on the same workgroup), get the following:
    >>
    >>"[group name] is not accessible. you might not have permission...contact
    >>administrator of the server...
    >>the list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available"
    >>
    >>any direction will help. Thanks.
    >

    > Network browsing in Windows XP is often unreliable. Instead of using
    > My Network Places, access the other computer directly by typing its
    > name in the Start | Run box in this format:
    >
    > \\computer
    Steve how would the command look for getting to the see drive? I am able
    to get to My Documents, but not able to get to C drive which is called Main.

    DrJoel wrote:

    >> Network browsing in Windows XP is often unreliable. Instead of using
    >> My Network Places, access the other computer directly by typing its
    >> name in the Start | Run box in this format:
    >>
    >> \\computer
    > Steve how would the command look for getting to the see drive? I am
    > able to get to My Documents, but not able to get to C drive which is
    > called Main.

    Here's an easy way:

    On your Desktop, right-click and make a new folder and call it something
    useful like "Network". Open it and have it sitting over to the side.
    Now go to your Start Menu and choose Search. You want to search for
    computers on the network. Find the network share you want and
    right-click on it and drag to the new "Network" folder you just made.
    When you let go of the right mouse button, you'll get a menu where you
    can left-click on "Create Shortcut". Do this for each network share to
    which you want a shortcut. Then use the Display>Desktop>Customize
    Desktop to remove My Network Places from your Desktop.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    In article <uxrhJ4#pFHA.3800@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, DrJoel
    <joelw135@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >Steve Winograd [MVP] wrote:
    >> In article <019197C8-431A-4866-9E23-1BB58D203C9F@microsoft.com>,
    >> BorisS <BorisS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>2 xp pro, Sp2 setups. connected through a router. Before both had to be
    >>>reinstalled, were seeing each other, using briefcase on the one to the other,
    >>>sharing a CD drive, etc.
    >>>
    >>>Reloaded, have a clean slate, and can do whatever anyone suggests, but
    >>>currently when going into the laptop and searching "view workgroup computers"
    >>>(they are on the same workgroup), get the following:
    >>>
    >>>"[group name] is not accessible. you might not have permission...contact
    >>>administrator of the server...
    >>>the list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available"
    >>>
    >>>any direction will help. Thanks.
    >>

    >> Network browsing in Windows XP is often unreliable. Instead of using
    >> My Network Places, access the other computer directly by typing its
    >> name in the Start | Run box in this format:
    >>
    >> \\computer
    >
    >Steve how would the command look for getting to the see drive? I am able
    >to get to My Documents, but not able to get to C drive which is called Main.

    To see a shared drive named "Main" on the computer named "computer":

    \\computer\Main

    What exactly happens when you try to get to that drive?
    --

    "Steve Winograd [MVP]" <winograd@pobox.com> wrote in message
    > In article <#9OA0w6pFHA.4056@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Gordon"
    > <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

    > However, the problem that BorisS describes isn't caused by problems
    > with user accounts. It's caused by problems with the network browsing
    > function.

    has the OP re-run the Network setup wizard on both machines after the
    re-installs?
    I usually find that fixes most problems! ;-)

    Well for one was my SMC Barricade. Windows would recognize it, but without
    downloading the drivers from SMC, It would not work. That is the one I used.
    So if you have an SMC product (or atleast that product) you do need drivers.

    In article <89C7ED5D-C5EE-4EE3-A4A6-E9F36E256B26@microsoft.com>,

    >> >Did you remember to re-install the drivers for the router? Simple solution,
    >> >but sometimes we forget the little things (Speaking from experience). That's
    >> >why I now connect my system via Firewire. My router is collecting dust in
    >> >the corner.
    >>
    >> Drivers for the router? I'm not familiar with any home broadband
    >> router that requires loading drivers on the computers, and I can't
    >> imagine why it would be necessary. What router do you have that
    >> requires drivers?
    >
    >Well for one was my SMC Barricade. Windows would recognize it, but without
    >downloading the drivers from SMC, It would not work. That is the one I used.
    > So if you have an SMC product (or atleast that product) you do need drivers.

    My SMC Barricade has a built-in printer server, and I had to load
    software on each computer to use the printer that I connected to the
    Barricade. Is that what you mean?

    There are no drivers needed to use the Barricade for Internet access.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Well you must have a different version of Windows XP or a different version
    of the Barricade then I have, because I could not either see my other
    computer, or connect to my internet with my SMC Barricade connected until I
    downloaded the drivers. (SMC Barricde 7004ABR). But after looking on their
    website, they no longer have the driver available, but they do have a new
    firmware version (since I updated last). So maybe that fixes the problem.

    I did not use the Print Sharing since the Barricade did not support USB
    (only Parallel) and my printer was USB. But as stated, my SMC is now sitting
    in the corner.

    In article <1FFF8DEB-1B48-4AA2-B09B-4BB44885B7A5@microsoft.com>,
    Divine_si <Divinesi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >> My SMC Barricade has a built-in printer server, and I had to load
    >> software on each computer to use the printer that I connected to the
    >> Barricade. Is that what you mean?
    >>
    >> There are no drivers needed to use the Barricade for Internet access.

    >Well you must have a different version of Windows XP or a different version
    >of the Barricade then I have, because I could not either see my other
    >computer, or connect to my internet with my SMC Barricade connected until I
    >downloaded the drivers. (SMC Barricde 7004ABR). But after looking on their
    >website, they no longer have the driver available, but they do have a new
    >firmware version (since I updated last). So maybe that fixes the problem.
    >
    >I did not use the Print Sharing since the Barricade did not support USB
    >(only Parallel) and my printer was USB. But as stated, my SMC is now sitting
    >in the corner.

    I have an SMC Barricade 7004ABR and the same Windows XP that anyone
    else has. I assure you that there's nothing that has to be downloaded
    or installed on any computer to access the Internet or to access other
    computers through the Barricade.

    Section 3.2 of my Barricade User Manual is entitled "Install the
    Software into Your Computers". It starts out by saying "Skip this
    section if you do not want to use the print server function of this
    product." Then, it describes how to insert the Barricade installation
    CD into your computer, run the installation program, and set up the
    computer to print through the router's built-in print server. There
    is no other driver program on the CD.

    There's a "driver" available for download from this SMC web page. The
    "driver" is actually the SMC7004ABR printer utility program:

    http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=downloads.doSearchCriteria&localeCode=EN_USA&knowsPartNumber=false&productCategory=1&userPartNumber=&modelNumber=858&partNumber=1841&downloadType=0&os=0
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    It seems as though the thread dated 7/19 which states Help- lost existing
    network access... identified that some software installed on the computer
    changed the registrty to disallow anonymous access to shared files.
    In that string William Cheng described a similar situation.

    I have a similar situation myself and would like to know how to change the
    registry to fix the problem. I didn't download anything that would have
    changed my access rights- I just obtained access to a local internet radio
    station which blew me out of the water.

    I tried everything to get my access back - it's a laptop - but have not
    found a soultion. I read all the threads for this note and others. I found
    the closest solution is the email from William Cheng.

    So if anyone knows the correct configuration in the registry for anonymous
    access - it looks like lanman is the problem - I would greatly appreciate it.
    --
    LH

    "Steve Winograd [MVP]" wrote:

    > In article <uxrhJ4#pFHA.3800@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, DrJoel
    > <joelw135@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > >Steve Winograd [MVP] wrote:

    > >> Network browsing in Windows XP is often unreliable. Instead of using
    > >> My Network Places, access the other computer directly by typing its
    > >> name in the Start | Run box in this format:
    > >>
    > >> \\computer
    > >
    > >Steve how would the command look for getting to the see drive? I am able
    > >to get to My Documents, but not able to get to C drive which is called Main.
    >
    > To see a shared drive named "Main" on the computer named "computer":
    >
    > \\computer\Main
    >
    > What exactly happens when you try to get to that drive?
    > --
    > Best Wishes,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Windows XP Microsoft Servers