RAS - Simple question (I hope)

August 22, 2005 11:06:01 PM

Hi,

Is it possible to make an XP PC a RAS server? How would I go about doing it?

Cheers,

Jamie
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 11:50:46 PM

Jamie Tanner <JamieTanner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

|>Hi,
|>
|>Is it possible to make an XP PC a RAS server? How would I go about doing it?

You could always run a multi line Bulletin Board System (BBS).
Telnet - a list of active sites http://www.dmine.com/telnet/

August 22, 2005 11:56:07 PM

Not the same thing at all.

No access to shared system resources.

<Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov> wrote in message
> Jamie Tanner <JamieTanner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> |>Hi,
> |>
> |>Is it possible to make an XP PC a RAS server? How would I go about doing
it?

> You could always run a multi line Bulletin Board System (BBS).
> Telnet - a list of active sites http://www.dmine.com/telnet/
>

> --
>
> http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/bunny.php
August 23, 2005 1:22:42 AM

No. Windows XP is considered a workstation O/S.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Jamie Tanner" wrote:

| Hi,
|
| Is it possible to make an XP PC a RAS server? How would I go about doing it?
|
| Cheers,
|
| Jamie
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 1:22:43 AM

Now, now Carey.

Think before you speak...

XP allows you to create an "Incoming Connection" using
your modem...this functions as a RAS server just fine, but only
one inbound conn at a time. Since the OP did not say, we cannot assume
that he wants to run a modem bank, which would, of course, require
a "server-oriented" OS.

To the OP:

Start>>Help and Support>>Networking and the Web>>
Networking>>VPN, incoming, direct, etc.

Info there.

> No. Windows XP is considered a workstation O/S.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

-----------------

> "Jamie Tanner" wrote:
>
> | Hi,
> |
> | Is it possible to make an XP PC a RAS server? How would I go about doing
it?

> | Cheers,
> |
> | Jamie
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 10:42:02 PM

Thanks for your replies.

I just found out that you can turn on the Routing And Remote Access Server
on the PC and it shows up as a RAS server when you run the R&RAS mmc from a
server.

Cheers,

Jamie

!