Sign in with
Your question

Plan For the Future

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 20, 2003 2:06:00 AM

When reading the unofficial IBM plans till 2006, as well as news from ATI and Nvidia, I can't help but try and figure out the next best time to buy. I am comfortable with my 1.8 @ 2.4 and my ti4400 for now but am trying to determine when the next 'generation' will be. Is the Prescott with the round pin conectors the next big jump? Will that be nothing to the Tejas with 65nm technology with 2mb of L2 cache released in late 2005? Does anyone see any of these advancements being a great advancement over its predecessor to warrant the long wait? I'm not sure how long I can hold out but the longer the better. Grabbing technology at the end of its lifecycle is no fun.

<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/news6410.html" target="_new"> X-Bit Labs Article on Intel Roadmap to 2006 </A>

I dont know much about ATI's and Nvidia's long term plans but every article I read about the newest ones, NV40 and R420, keep saying it is effectivly based on an old core but still much faster (correct me if I am wrong I haven't read a whole lot on them). It seems illogical to buy advancements to an old core if something newer and better migt be half a year away. I know this is over two years away and very speculative but it is something that I think is important to keep in mind even now.

<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/200306190231..." target="_new"> X-Bit Labs Article on ATI R420 </A>
<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/200306110118..." target="_new"> X-Bit Labs Articel on Nvidia NV40</A>

Also as a side point DDR2 technology is coming out soon. Would the new Prescott in its later form, DDR2 RAM and either the NV40 or R420 be considered a new generation of computer hardware or still merely upgrades?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by badger86 on 07/19/03 07:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : plan future

July 20, 2003 3:04:34 AM

How long do you want wait. Prescott in Oct will be 3.4 Ghz. than upwards from there. I bought 2.4c waiting for it to arrive. Maybe end of next year or 1st half 2005 make my next upgrade. But thats up to you. As to what you want. The roadmap shows you whats do done the road. Plus how much do you want to spend on the lastest an greatest.
July 20, 2003 3:06:44 AM

Thats why I decided to go with Intel over AMD. I saw what Intel plans on releasing for the next three plus years.
Related resources
July 20, 2003 3:47:19 AM

Depends what you want your PC for. If you want to play some of these games coming out, you might just want to buy a new video card this fall and a new mb + processor next year.

I currently have a 1.3ghz PIV, but am about to get my ASUS 865PE and 2.4c (I'll OC to ~2.8), which I can upgrade with a Prescott sometime next year when the prices drop reasonably.
a c 159 à CPUs
July 20, 2003 11:20:51 AM

The boards are changing by the beginning of next year. I worked as a temp at Dell computer, and a rep told me that Dell will get the new boards before anyone else. These boards have the pins embedded in the board, instead of the cpu. Probably the second generation Prescott. With your present system, I would wait for Grantsdale to upgrade.
July 20, 2003 2:18:18 PM

After Prescott 3.4 and 3.6 you have too buy Grantsdale Mobo. Canterwood and Springdale will not work beyound 3.6 Prescott.
July 20, 2003 9:37:15 PM

<<Thats why I decided to go with Intel over AMD. I saw what Intel plans on releasing for the next three plus years.>>

this makes no sense... what does a 3 year roadmap have to do with wha your next upgrade is... u know intel plays the slot/socket game with every major release.... so a roapmap is meaningless
July 20, 2003 11:03:53 PM

For a while there, I thought you're AMD fandom wouldn't show itself, but it does....

A 3 year roadmap helps people see "what is in store", including new sockets, and other things. So, you're theory of surprise socket(s) is pointless.

Also, with Intel's roadmap, you can almost count that 95-98% of what is on there, will actually be AVAILABLE on the date it lists. No paper launches, no surprise delays, no "limited edition" versions.

So, a roadmap can help someone decide if they should upgrade now, or hold on a few months. This isn't AMD's roadmap that changes every month for no apparent reason, so he can pretty be confident that the product will be ready around or on that time.

Is it really the roadmap that pissed you off, or just his statement that "I decided to go with Intel over AMD."

How many watts does it take to get the center of CPU core?
July 21, 2003 12:11:13 AM

Look what Intel has for their roadmap compared to AMD. Tejas 6.0 Ghz 1.2 Fsb L2 2mb cache. What does AMD have?
July 21, 2003 12:12:14 AM

Thanks I could not explan it any better.
July 21, 2003 12:20:59 AM

I agree w/ the pope...even as an intel user...what good is the roadmap in choosing a computer when in a year from now any current platform WILL be obsolete and not upgradable?

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil: 
July 21, 2003 1:23:05 AM

<<A 3 year roadmap helps people see "what is in store", including new sockets, and other things. So, you're theory of surprise socket(s) is pointless.>>>

so what you buy this year will be upgradable 2 years from now to the latest thing on INTELS maps? huh?

<<Also, with Intel's roadmap, you can almost count that 95-98% of what is on there, will actually be AVAILABLE on the date it lists. No paper launches, no surprise delays, no "limited edition" versions>>>

p3 1.13 , camino, MHT-HUB fiascal.... yeah INTEL hits all its dates everytime

<<So, a roadmap can help someone decide if they should upgrade now, or hold on a few months.>>>

he said 3 years of roadmaps... not say 3 months... thats what i was pointing out...what does a 6.0 ghz TEJAS have to do with now?

<<Is it really the roadmap that pissed you off, or just his statement that "I decided to go with Intel over AMD.">>>

no his roadmap comment was plain dumb and your dumb for backing it up. what does something INTEL says they putting out in 2006 have to do with what we upgrade to in 2003/early 2004 .... ya whole argument is dumb.
July 21, 2003 1:25:09 AM

please tell me u are no this dense.

you wanna compare roadmaps as a way to say INTEL is better.

Ok... i seen a raodmap at roadmap.com that shows AMD having a 21.56 GHZ Hammer 4 with 20 channel 6-DDR-RAM in the fall of 2006... it kicks INTEL in the ass.

hows that for stupid is as stupid does
July 21, 2003 1:26:37 AM

<<I agree w/ the pope...even as an intel user...what good is the roadmap in choosing a computer when in a year from now any current platform WILL be obsolete and not upgradable?>>

thats what made no sense to me.... thats like planning on making an omlette with eggs from a chicken thats not even born yet.

lets have a ROADMAP WAR.... woohoooo
July 21, 2003 1:51:21 AM

POPE...you're a roadmap fanboy :tongue:

I think the only way to judge a processor is to wait for it to come out and read the benchmarks...you cannot say that a 6ghz tejas is gonna be good if you or nobody else has ever run one.

Right on pope intel has missed release dates in the past too...in fact just about every other company has too.

Both intel and amd are great companies...but if you focus on mistakes by either of the companies you can make them both look bad.

July 21, 2003 2:03:01 AM

hey popegoldx, don't be such an amd fan-whore. It's people like you who give the amd crowd a bad name.
July 21, 2003 2:30:30 AM

no u blowing me five times a day is giving u a bad name
July 21, 2003 9:10:28 AM

Thanks everyone for the constructive comments :p  I was really just asking what leap people think will be the biggest in the next couple of years, ie. how important is the 1mb of L2 or 2mb ect... but hey debating the usefulness of roadmaps is fun too.
July 21, 2003 9:27:57 AM

You can't really make guesses as to what will be the biggest leap, but I'm quite interested in what the smaller processes will yield - 90nm and then to 65.. Particularly OC wise. (3.6Ghz Scotty @4ghz+ air cooled anyone? :cool: )

---
$hit Happens. I just wish it would happen to someone else for a change.
July 21, 2003 9:51:25 AM

how does a 2500 Barton (easily changed to a 3000+, almost garunteed) for 130$ canadian sound? that should last until at least christmas. VERY worth it IMO. of course thats if you have a AXP mobo

any P4C is good too. just because a new processor is released, doenst mean its affordable and/or nessessary. i think the 2500 barton im buying will be more than enough for games until february of next year (video cards are a different story all together --___--!)

-------

<A HREF="http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001355.html" target="_new">*I hate thug gangstas*</A>
July 21, 2003 1:21:50 PM

Not that interesting... Though mostly, the CEOs don't have that much of a favorable view towards Opteron, and they're not half as enthusiastic as hardware review sites. And that is saying something... Let's see how A64 does.

<font color=red><b>M</b></font color=red>ephistopheles
July 21, 2003 5:50:31 PM

You should have no problem with that over clock. They have 2.4c overclocked at 3.7 air cooled.
July 21, 2003 8:32:03 PM

Quote:
no u blowing me five times a day is giving u a bad name

Wow, sounds like a typical 12 year old zit-faced amd fanboy.
July 21, 2003 9:00:22 PM

You hit the nail on the head with that one.
July 21, 2003 10:08:42 PM

<<<Wow, sounds like a typical 12 year old zit-faced amd fanboy. >>>

don't worry about poopy, he's just been away from his favorite white fluffy friend for a while. soon he'll get some much needed sheep lovin and he'll settle down.
July 21, 2003 10:43:56 PM

No! No! Don't say that out loud!...

...oh, no, too late... :frown:

<i>geez</i>, I think popegoldX will not like <i>that</i>... Good luck, though.

<font color=red><b>M</b></font color=red>ephistopheles
July 22, 2003 1:49:50 AM

i hearby name thee INTELLIOT of the day
July 22, 2003 4:13:48 AM

Not the old fake user dude.
July 22, 2003 5:00:48 AM

Hey amd fanboys calm down, you guys are wound so tight. I don't know maybe it's because these days Intel is mopping the floor with amd. Anyways, I AM new. I registered a few days ago because I wanted info regarding the ABIT IS7 boards. At least unlike you guys I don't go around highjacking threads.
July 22, 2003 5:49:47 AM

since when did the performance of current cpus come into question...i thought we were talking about a plan for the <b>future</b>...if you are looking for a flame war go to another website...there have been far too many here...

July 22, 2003 2:43:43 PM

Quote:
They have 2.4c overclocked at 3.7 air cooled.

This I know, but I'm wondering just how high the smaller process chips will be able to go... I mean if the core itself is designed to hit 4.5Ghz+, but the Socket 478 Platform stops at 3.6Ghz... Just think it might end up being a bit of a nice cheap overclockers dream when the newer platforms emerge, so the 'old' Springdale/canterwood boards are cheap...

---
$hit Happens. I just wish it would happen to someone else for a change.
July 22, 2003 3:11:40 PM

There's not much point buying anything really (other than for fun!) until you find new DirectX9 games that you desperately want to play. Even then a moderate video card upgrade would be enough.

In the long term, I would seriously recommend waiting until Intel release their PCI-Express technology next year. Maybe by the beginning of 2005 enough PCI-Express enabled boards and components will be around to make it woth upgrading. Till then I'd just save your $$$.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:
July 22, 2003 7:22:13 PM

Abit IS7 for $109 at New Egg that was cheap enough for me. Until I upgrade to Grantsdale and whatever CPU.
July 22, 2003 8:14:38 PM

I agree for the time being. I dont think my 1.8 is that slow or my P4S533 that bad of a board or my ti44 that outdated a card. I am confident it will play HL2 so there is no reason to buy a cheap upgrade now. I've always had the mentality that you can't save money by spending it. As long as I am good I will hunker down and wait for something new like this PCI-Express or DDR2 and hopefully till that is at a reasonable price and tweaked to perfection.
!