  • DVD
  • CD-Rom
  • Windows XP
August 22, 2005 11:10:01 PM

I removed a CD/RW drive and replaced it with a DVD/RW drive. I now have 2
DVD/RW drives. They are NEC-3500 and NEC-3540. The NEC-3400 was in my
system before and worked fine. I have tried the registry fix CDGONE,
unintalling the IDE controllers, reinstalling the newest Gigabyte board
drivers, and removing the high and low filters. None of it has worked.

I still can't use either DVD/CD. I have nothing with an alert in the
system devices. They are not showing there. Also I tried putting the CD/RW
back in and the red light stays lit up as soon as I connect it. It will not
recognize that either. Tried system restore to before the change and putting
the DVD/RW, DVD player and CD/RW back in I had before and it failed the
restore. I also tried re-storing the registry but system restore removed the
save I had and it's gone. I also tried hooking up a brand new Seagate IDE
200 GB hard drive I bought for backups and it doesn't recognize it.
I have add on SATA card which is where my main Hard drive was before this
and it still boots up fine. I just cannot use any CD or DVD in my system
which is a major problem. I had DVD easy creator and a DVD copy program,
including a DVD for free. I removed them all incase it was causing a
problem. Still nothing recognized. When the motherboard boots up it finds
nothing under IDE then goes to my SATA board and boots up.

The IDE controllers are turned on in BIOS and all IDE's are turned on for
auto sense in the BIOS. I had not made any changes in the BIOS before or
after this. I need someone with some ideas. Any help please. Thanks in
advance.

More about : dvd missing changing drives

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 8:57:29 AM

Rick wrote:
> I removed a CD/RW drive and replaced it with a DVD/RW drive. I now have 2
> DVD/RW drives. They are NEC-3500 and NEC-3540. The NEC-3400 was in my
> system before and worked fine. I have tried the registry fix CDGONE,
> unintalling the IDE controllers, reinstalling the newest Gigabyte board
> drivers, and removing the high and low filters. None of it has worked.
>
> I still can't use either DVD/CD. I have nothing with an alert in the
> system devices. They are not showing there. Also I tried putting the CD/RW
> back in and the red light stays lit up as soon as I connect it. It will not
> recognize that either. Tried system restore to before the change and putting
> the DVD/RW, DVD player and CD/RW back in I had before and it failed the
> restore. I also tried re-storing the registry but system restore removed the
> save I had and it's gone. I also tried hooking up a brand new Seagate IDE
> 200 GB hard drive I bought for backups and it doesn't recognize it.
> I have add on SATA card which is where my main Hard drive was before this
> and it still boots up fine. I just cannot use any CD or DVD in my system
> which is a major problem. I had DVD easy creator and a DVD copy program,
> including a DVD for free. I removed them all incase it was causing a
> problem. Still nothing recognized. When the motherboard boots up it finds
> nothing under IDE then goes to my SATA board and boots up.
>
> The IDE controllers are turned on in BIOS and all IDE's are turned on for
> auto sense in the BIOS. I had not made any changes in the BIOS before or
> after this. I need someone with some ideas. Any help please. Thanks in
> advance.

Do you have any drives connected to mainboards IDE
controller? if not, then disable these at the bios. The
system will skip the built in IDE test and go immediately to
SATA RAID card. If your CD/DVD is on the SATA card, make
sure it is on an independent connector from other HDDs.
mixing HDDs and cd drives doesn't work well (and sometimes
doesn't work at all).

--
Lester Stiefel
In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed

No hard drives connected to the IDE. Just the DVD/RW. I want to connect a
backup drive to the IDE but it is not recognizing that either. My SATA Hard
drive is my boot drive and is being recognized and booting up fine. No
matter what I try I still can't use a DVD or CD drive on my IDE.

"Lester Stiefel" wrote:

> Rick wrote:
> > I removed a CD/RW drive and replaced it with a DVD/RW drive. I now have 2
> > DVD/RW drives. They are NEC-3500 and NEC-3540. The NEC-3400 was in my
> > system before and worked fine. I have tried the registry fix CDGONE,
> > unintalling the IDE controllers, reinstalling the newest Gigabyte board
> > drivers, and removing the high and low filters. None of it has worked.
> >
> > I still can't use either DVD/CD. I have nothing with an alert in the
> > system devices. They are not showing there. Also I tried putting the CD/RW
> > back in and the red light stays lit up as soon as I connect it. It will not
> > recognize that either. Tried system restore to before the change and putting
> > the DVD/RW, DVD player and CD/RW back in I had before and it failed the
> > restore. I also tried re-storing the registry but system restore removed the
> > save I had and it's gone. I also tried hooking up a brand new Seagate IDE
> > 200 GB hard drive I bought for backups and it doesn't recognize it.
> > I have add on SATA card which is where my main Hard drive was before this
> > and it still boots up fine. I just cannot use any CD or DVD in my system
> > which is a major problem. I had DVD easy creator and a DVD copy program,
> > including a DVD for free. I removed them all incase it was causing a
> > problem. Still nothing recognized. When the motherboard boots up it finds
> > nothing under IDE then goes to my SATA board and boots up.
> >
> > The IDE controllers are turned on in BIOS and all IDE's are turned on for
> > auto sense in the BIOS. I had not made any changes in the BIOS before or
> > after this. I need someone with some ideas. Any help please. Thanks in
> > advance.
>
> Do you have any drives connected to mainboards IDE
> controller? if not, then disable these at the bios. The
> system will skip the built in IDE test and go immediately to
> SATA RAID card. If your CD/DVD is on the SATA card, make
> sure it is on an independent connector from other HDDs.
> mixing HDDs and cd drives doesn't work well (and sometimes
> doesn't work at all).
>
> --
> Lester Stiefel
> In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed
> which describe him in the last days.
> Is your quality found on this list??

Related resources
August 23, 2005 5:21:03 PM

Well guess what I had new IDE cables right out of the box and I guess they
were bad. I hooked up old IDE cables and right away it recognized one DVD.
I rebooted and now both are there. All that because of cables. Well folks
if you have this problem and changed or disconnected and reconnected IDE
drives try different cables.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 3:13:04 AM

=?Utf-8?B?Umljaw==?= wrote:

> Well guess what I had new IDE cables right out of the box and I guess they
> were bad. I hooked up old IDE cables and right away it recognized one DVD.

I once bought a box of 100, 36" cables and every one was made
incorrectly.

> I rebooted and now both are there. All that because of cables. Well folks
> if you have this problem and changed or disconnected and reconnected IDE
> drives try different cables.
August 24, 2005 5:54:56 AM

Rick wrote on Tue, 23 Aug 2005:

>Well guess what I had new IDE cables right out of the box and I guess they
>were bad. I hooked up old IDE cables and right away it recognized one DVD.
>I rebooted and now both are there. All that because of cables. Well folks
>if you have this problem and changed or disconnected and reconnected IDE
>drives try different cables.

Hi Rick

If you had the drives' jumpers set to "cable select" rather than master
or slave, it needs the proper type of cable (I think it's 80-channel?).
A lot of the time cables that come with a drive are not the right type
for cable select.

--
Nightowl
Anonymous

Nightowl wrote:
> Rick wrote on Tue, 23 Aug 2005:
>
>> Well guess what I had new IDE cables right out of the box and I guess
>> they
>> were bad. I hooked up old IDE cables and right away it recognized
>> one DVD.
>> I rebooted and now both are there. All that because of cables. Well
>> folks
>> if you have this problem and changed or disconnected and reconnected IDE
>> drives try different cables.
>>

> Hi Rick
>
> If you had the drives' jumpers set to "cable select" rather than master
> or slave, it needs the proper type of cable (I think it's 80-channel?).
> A lot of the time cables that come with a drive are not the right type
> for cable select.

Nit necessarily. When you use more than one HDD or CD, a
good practice is to set the Jumpers at the "dedicated"
master or slave position, depending upon the position of the
drive on the channel. Drive controllers are discreet devices
and must follow the electronic logic when 2 or more are
present on each channel. If one uses a single drive the
controller will detect drive with cable select used, as well
as master only. Will be slower to ID them when you use
single drive when you previously set up for duals.
Remember: Single drive = Master only or Cable Select; Dual
Drives = Master and Slave (one setting for each drive) I use
DVD set at Master, CD-R or CD-Rom set at Slave. Both are on
the secondary channel.

--
!