diagnose slow xp boot

I have Win XP Pro SP2, and recently it has developed very slow startup. It
seems to boot normally, but just before it finishes, it seems to freeze for
almost a minute. I have not installed anything new recently, nor made any
network changes.

It's clearly doing something, but I can't tell what. I try to call the Task
Manager to see what's hogging the processor, but the computer is so busy
that the Task Manager will not come up until the mystery process has quit,
and then of course it's too late.

"Automatically search for network folders and printers" is OFF. Malware
scans find nothing.

How can I find out what's causing this problem, so that I can begin to
attempt a fix?

Resources for troubleshooting startup problems in Windows XP

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"Paul Pedersen" wrote:

| I have Win XP Pro SP2, and recently it has developed very slow startup. It
| seems to boot normally, but just before it finishes, it seems to freeze for
| almost a minute. I have not installed anything new recently, nor made any
| network changes.
|
| It's clearly doing something, but I can't tell what. I try to call the Task
| Manager to see what's hogging the processor, but the computer is so busy
| that the Task Manager will not come up until the mystery process has quit,
| and then of course it's too late.
|
| "Automatically search for network folders and printers" is OFF. Malware
| scans find nothing.
|

| How can I find out what's causing this problem, so that I can begin to
| attempt a fix?

Thanks, I'll check it out.

> Resources for troubleshooting startup problems in Windows XP

> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Paul Pedersen" wrote:
>
> | I have Win XP Pro SP2, and recently it has developed very slow startup.
> It
> | seems to boot normally, but just before it finishes, it seems to freeze
> for
> | almost a minute. I have not installed anything new recently, nor made
> any
> | network changes.
> |
> | It's clearly doing something, but I can't tell what. I try to call the
> Task
> | Manager to see what's hogging the processor, but the computer is so busy
> | that the Task Manager will not come up until the mystery process has
> quit,
> | and then of course it's too late.
> |
> | "Automatically search for network folders and printers" is OFF. Malware
> | scans find nothing.
> |

> | How can I find out what's causing this problem, so that I can begin to
> | attempt a fix?

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Paul Pedersen wrote:

> I have Win XP Pro SP2, and recently it has developed very slow startup. It
> seems to boot normally, but just before it finishes, it seems to freeze for
> almost a minute. I have not installed anything new recently, nor made any
> network changes.
>
> It's clearly doing something, but I can't tell what. I try to call the Task
> Manager to see what's hogging the processor, but the computer is so busy
> that the Task Manager will not come up until the mystery process has quit,
> and then of course it's too late.
>
> "Automatically search for network folders and printers" is OFF. Malware
> scans find nothing.
>

> How can I find out what's causing this problem, so that I can begin to
> attempt a fix?

Also try some clean boot troubleshooting:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User