Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
I've just seen this <A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20030701021703.html" target="_new">unofficial report</A> that says that Opteron 246, probably clocked at an even 2.0Ghz, will cost well into the thousands: $2100, apparently. This is the same price range as the 1.4Ghz Itanium... Isn't that a little too expensive for such a piece of hardware?... The 244 is also having some problems, with prices going as high as $950 because of low supply. So why would anyone go for a $2100 Opteron?... Is it really worth that much cash?...

<font color=red><b>M</b></font color=red>ephistopheles

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
I'd be extremely suprised if AMD are going to charge that amount of money for a processor. This will seriously affect the uptake of Opteron in the enterprise sector.

AMD seem to be hiding the fact that it is having problems with it's yield rates. I hope they sort it out soon....unless Opteron is fundamentally flawed which would be a catastrophe.

<font color=purple>Ladies and Gentlemen, its...Hammer Time !</font color=purple>

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Big bucks for a CPU that hits 2 Ghz.
That alone is not the problem. Itanium is clocked lower, and has higher prices. Problem is that Opteron's IPC in 32-bit is not fantastic, and 64-bit support for Opteron is somewhat limited at this point. This high a price tag can scare customers away.

Besides, it's only a rumor. It might not be true...

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
well if they are having low yeilds...they have no other choice but to charge more...its not like they have much money to spare as it is.

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil:

POPEGOLDX

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
opterons are not meant for US to be buying for gaming or ripping... they are for high end servers.... so 2100 isnt ridicolous for that market...

but that seems more like the price of the 846 actually

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
I'm not saying it is ridiculous. It's a little less than ridiulous, it's more like very high, not ridiculously high.
but that seems more like the price of the 846 actually
You said it yourself! See, is the 246 really worth all that cash?... I wonder. Besides, if the <b>2</b>46 costs that much, how much will the <b>8</b>46 be, then? $4000-5000? That is the price for a fully-fledged 1.5Ghz Itanium with 6MB cache. Can it compete with that? I think not. Besides, if review sites like this one review a $2100 Opteron for servers and workstations and don't review a $1200 Itanium or $2200 Itanium to compare, then I'll really be pissed off. What would be the point? They'd be advertising AMD, not reviewing a product.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, worse than a Xeon at 32 bit, worse than an Itanic at 64-bit, at least as expensive as either...but it's a cross-compatable solution in some ways!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Hmm, worse than a Xeon at 32 bit, worse than an Itanic at 64-bit, at least as expensive as either...but it's a cross-compatable solution in some ways!
*ROFL* Nicely put there, Crashman...

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
that for the 8XX series not the dual or quad.It segmentation of market like Xeon MP and DP price difference is very high but the 1 can be put in 4 way to 8 way.

Opteron 800 will be put again others 8 way systemes only few Xeon MP and Itanium/RISC.The good thing there a price range from 2 way to 8 way but unlike itanium they are limit to 8 way.Itanium are offer up to 64 and 128 coming and from Nec SGI HP but no lower range like 244 series that dont cost much and offer good performance so the only choice you got left from Intel is Xeon DP.

I dont like french test

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
I thought this was the price for the 846 too... but <A HREF="http://www.pcinpact.com/actu/news/10050.htm" target="_new">this site</A> (it's french, juin! you'll feel at home... :smile: ) doesn't think so.
Itanium are offer up to 64 and 128 coming and from Nec SGI HP but no lower range like 244 series that dont cost much and offer good performance so the only choice you got left from Intel is Xeon DP.
Yes, that is a very serious limitation for Itanium. If there was a cheaper, 2-way or 4-way Itanium, it would get far better acceptance. At least that bit was a smart move of AMD's.
the only choice you got left from Intel is Xeon DP.
At least the Xeon DPs are being beefed up substantially because of this... The new Xeon 1MB L3 cache looks good. Competition is good! :cool: