can't connect MN-700 with my ISP using PPPoE

Last response: in Networking
Share
August 13, 2004 11:12:15 AM

Recently I moved to a new ISP that connect its users
using either PPTP or L2TP protocols. The ISP has provided
me a username and password and both tunneling protocols
server name (one for PPTP and the other for L2TP).
I understand that I have to choose the PPPoE method to
connect to the ISP with the possibilities I have got in
the MN-700 base station (and the ISP told me that they
are supporting PPPoE).
I have inserted the username and password in their
appropriate fields and I guessed that the "Service Name"
field (which is optional???) is the place to put my ISP
server name.
Unfortunately, it didn't work. I couldn't find any other
place to put the ISP server name. By the way it didn't
work both for PPTP and L2TP server names I have tried.

What am I missing here?
Is anyone know how to make the first connection?
Help please...

P.S. When I'm using the dial-up software to connect
directly from my computer to the cables modem (without
the router) connection established right away.

More about : connect 700 isp pppoe

August 13, 2004 5:18:28 PM

Well since I have no idea who your ISP is I can't help you. If you
would be kind enough to post that we can help you then.

Who is your ISP?

Also are you using cable (only Canada uses PPPoE for that), DSL, or
something else?

Shay wrote:
> Recently I moved to a new ISP that connect its users
> using either PPTP or L2TP protocols. The ISP has provided
> me a username and password and both tunneling protocols
> server name (one for PPTP and the other for L2TP).
> I understand that I have to choose the PPPoE method to
> connect to the ISP with the possibilities I have got in
> the MN-700 base station (and the ISP told me that they
> are supporting PPPoE).
> I have inserted the username and password in their
> appropriate fields and I guessed that the "Service Name"
> field (which is optional???) is the place to put my ISP
> server name.
> Unfortunately, it didn't work. I couldn't find any other
> place to put the ISP server name. By the way it didn't
> work both for PPTP and L2TP server names I have tried.
>
> What am I missing here?
> Is anyone know how to make the first connection?
> Help please...
>
> P.S. When I'm using the dial-up software to connect
> directly from my computer to the cables modem (without
> the router) connection established right away.

August 13, 2004 6:49:11 PM

I'm located in Israel, and I wasn't thinking you could
help me with my ISP (this is why I didn't mention my ISP
details). However I do want to know what is generally
the "Service Name" field purpose in PPPoE protocol.

My ISP gave me all the details I need to connect him as
following:
1. username
2. password
3. a. L2TP server name (and also its IP)
3. b. PPTP server name (and also its IP)
4. Primary and Secondary DNS IPs addresses (although they
told me that it should be working also automatically).

They also told me that I can use either L2TP or PPTP
severs to connect.

Before I bought the MN-700 router I read its spec, and I
saw it should support those tunneling protocols.
I was also connected with this router to a different ISP
before in "Dynamic" WAN connection and it worked very
well then.
Is that a tunneling protocol issue?
Is there a way to connect with PPPoE without specifying
the server name you connect to? I mean how come
the "Service Name" field is optional?
Do you think that "clone" MAC address will solve the
problem here?
What do you think should be the "Idle Time" value?

Sorry for all those questions, and I will be grateful for
any piece of information you can give me.

Best regards,
Shay.

Related resources
August 13, 2004 11:37:41 PM

Well since you are in neither the USA or Canada the MN-700 & all of the
Microsoft networking hardware is not supported. You need to play around
with the service name. In most cases it is your ISP.something.

The reason the service name is optional is because sometimes ISP's don't
require it & because you can enter username@domain.whatever in the
username field instead.

Shay wrote:
> I'm located in Israel, and I wasn't thinking you could
> help me with my ISP (this is why I didn't mention my ISP
> details). However I do want to know what is generally
> the "Service Name" field purpose in PPPoE protocol.
>
> My ISP gave me all the details I need to connect him as
> following:
> 1. username
> 2. password
> 3. a. L2TP server name (and also its IP)
> 3. b. PPTP server name (and also its IP)
> 4. Primary and Secondary DNS IPs addresses (although they
> told me that it should be working also automatically).
>
> They also told me that I can use either L2TP or PPTP
> severs to connect.
>
> Before I bought the MN-700 router I read its spec, and I
> saw it should support those tunneling protocols.
> I was also connected with this router to a different ISP
> before in "Dynamic" WAN connection and it worked very
> well then.
> Is that a tunneling protocol issue?
> Is there a way to connect with PPPoE without specifying
> the server name you connect to? I mean how come
> the "Service Name" field is optional?
> Do you think that "clone" MAC address will solve the
> problem here?
> What do you think should be the "Idle Time" value?
>
> Sorry for all those questions, and I will be grateful for
> any piece of information you can give me.
>
> Best regards,
> Shay.

August 14, 2004 5:11:28 AM

Thanks Joker,
my guess was also that it is something with the ISP.
By the way I think that "username@domain.whatever" is
used here in Israel for ADSL, but for me with cables, I
think that the domain name should be placed indeed in
the "Service Name" field.
Thanks again, I will keep going from here...

!