Remote Desktop Problem

Tags:
  • Remote Desktop
  • Windows XP
August 23, 2005 7:12:07 AM

Hello,

I'm currently managing a group of approximately 175 systems in ten
locations, all running XP Pro, SP2, all updates, etc.

The network is VPN'd through routers for a full time connection.

Each location can be accessed from all other locations using Remote
Desktop Connection with the exception of one.

However, the VPN is fully functional, as you can ping or use other
programs such a Real VNC without any problems.

Okay, here's where it gets weird:

From any location you can access the computers with RDC in the suspect
location from some machines, but not others. When you try to access a
remote system, RDC hangs and the logon screen never appears and has to
be closed through task manager. From the next computer in the same
location, it logs on to the exact same remote system without any
problems.

Real VNC works without any problems, as does PCAnywhere. Only RDC has
this issue, and ONLY in one location, and not from all computers in
the same location on the same network trying to access the remote VPN
systems.

Hope this made some sense.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mitch

More about : remote desktop problem

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 7:12:08 AM

Hi. I think i can help you whats going on..... I had this same problem too.
For some occasion, 50 50 chance tho. Your computer has Internet Connection
Proxy Settings. You cannot modify these settings, by anything. No program
can modify this. This cannot be modified, by any administrator. Even if
they are an Expert.
You connection proxy settings are either blocking your connections. Not all
programs support Proxy Configurations. Hopes this helps, what is going on.

"Mitch" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm currently managing a group of approximately 175 systems in ten
> locations, all running XP Pro, SP2, all updates, etc.
>
> The network is VPN'd through routers for a full time connection.
>
> Each location can be accessed from all other locations using Remote
> Desktop Connection with the exception of one.
>
> However, the VPN is fully functional, as you can ping or use other
> programs such a Real VNC without any problems.
>
> Okay, here's where it gets weird:
>
> From any location you can access the computers with RDC in the suspect
> location from some machines, but not others. When you try to access a
> remote system, RDC hangs and the logon screen never appears and has to
> be closed through task manager. From the next computer in the same
> location, it logs on to the exact same remote system without any
> problems.
>
> Real VNC works without any problems, as does PCAnywhere. Only RDC has
> this issue, and ONLY in one location, and not from all computers in
> the same location on the same network trying to access the remote VPN
> systems.
>
> Hope this made some sense.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Mitch

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 5:24:43 AM

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 00:44:04 -0700, "jasonkruser"
<jasonkruser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi. I think i can help you whats going on..... I had this same problem too.
> For some occasion, 50 50 chance tho. Your computer has Internet Connection
>Proxy Settings. You cannot modify these settings, by anything. No program
>can modify this. This cannot be modified, by any administrator. Even if
>they are an Expert.
>You connection proxy settings are either blocking your connections. Not all
>programs support Proxy Configurations. Hopes this helps, what is going on.

Hi Jason,

Issue solved. Turns out the location giving us this odd behavior (the
only locale with DSL for the record) must have some noise on the line.
Packet loss did not appear to be a problem as we could not get any
readings indicating such. However, we disabled router settings at all
locations which were set to drop fragmented IP packets, and the
weirdness ended. I love DSL, really I do.

Thanks for your suggestion nonetheless.

Mitch
!