Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I have just used ACRONIS True Image to clone WIN XP Pro from an IBM
Thinkpad to a Dell Optiplex desktop.

After restoring the image to the Dell - I used the original Dell XP Pro disk
to do a Repair install (not recovery console). XP then booted up into the
Dell.

All works fine and I have not had to re-install any of my applications.
However, I am missing my display driver, Power management drivers, etc. So
I can't hibernate but the display as it stands works fine

Is there some way of getting these drivers to be recognized or auto
detected? I thought Windows would just auto detect them but perhaps because
everything is working this step is bypassed.

I can always go back and do a restore with my Dell disks but I am trying to
avoid re-installing all my apps - the greater task than reinstalling XP.

--
John

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Many times if you remove the ones that show in device manager, they will be
redetected and the proper drivers installed.

--
For evil to prosper requires only that good men remain silent!
"JM7" <one@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have just used ACRONIS True Image to clone WIN XP Pro from an IBM
> Thinkpad to a Dell Optiplex desktop.
>
> After restoring the image to the Dell - I used the original Dell XP Pro
> disk
> to do a Repair install (not recovery console). XP then booted up into the
> Dell.
>
> All works fine and I have not had to re-install any of my applications.
> However, I am missing my display driver, Power management drivers, etc.
> So
> I can't hibernate but the display as it stands works fine
>
> Is there some way of getting these drivers to be recognized or auto
> detected? I thought Windows would just auto detect them but perhaps
> because
> everything is working this step is bypassed.
>
> I can always go back and do a restore with my Dell disks but I am trying
> avoid re-installing all my apps - the greater task than reinstalling XP.
>
> --
> John

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

JM7 wrote:

> I have just used ACRONIS True Image to clone WIN XP Pro from an IBM
> Thinkpad to a Dell Optiplex desktop.
>
> After restoring the image to the Dell - I used the original Dell XP Pro disk
> to do a Repair install (not recovery console). XP then booted up into the
> Dell.
>
> All works fine and I have not had to re-install any of my applications.
> However, I am missing my display driver, Power management drivers, etc. So
> I can't hibernate but the display as it stands works fine
>
> Is there some way of getting these drivers to be recognized or auto
> detected? I thought Windows would just auto detect them but perhaps because
> everything is working this step is bypassed.
>
> I can always go back and do a restore with my Dell disks but I am trying to
> avoid re-installing all my apps - the greater task than reinstalling XP.
>
> --
> John

Go to the Dell web site and download/install the latest device drivers
for the computer. Follow Dell's directions on installing the newest
drivers. Generally, from device manager double click the device, then
on the driver tab click on Update Driver and point it to the location of
the driver.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User