Sign in with
Your question

OC P4

Last response: in CPUs
July 21, 2003 12:13:57 AM

Just to double check, my friend has a 2.0Ghz P4 Northwood, running with a 400Mhz FSB. Will that thing handle going to 2.66Ghz w/ a 533Mhz FSB using the stock cooler?

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening.

More about : question

July 21, 2003 12:25:52 AM

only one way to find out

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil: 
July 21, 2003 1:37:42 AM

The stock cooler could handle that, but not for long.
I have the same cpu at home but don't attempt to overclock.

"I Don't Got It,
Cause You Didn't Get It" - Anonymous
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 21, 2003 6:21:57 AM

Around 1/2 of them would, the other 1/2 wouldn't. You would probably need 1.65v-1.70v to make it work...if it works at all. And the stock cooler, possibly.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
July 21, 2003 2:29:21 PM

I see, well say I did oc it and it couldn't handle it, would there be fryage or would it be ok and underclock itself when it overheats? I'd monitor temps for 30 mins to see if they were stable.

July 21, 2003 3:23:39 PM

Mine was moderately overclockable, I don't remember the exact rate it's at but I couldn't get real far... I didn't do any damage trying to find the top rate.

Shadus
July 21, 2003 4:17:37 PM

Guess I'll increment slowly and see where I get.

a b à CPUs
July 21, 2003 11:28:53 PM

It will automatically underclock when it gets too hot.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
July 21, 2003 11:36:58 PM

>>>would there be fryage

Overclock away man. As long as you're sticking with stock voltage, the P4's not going to fry itself. That's the beauty of fast-acting thermal protection built right into the die...

On the other hand, start bumping the voltage and those little metal traces inside the chip might end up melting right apart.
July 22, 2003 12:31:51 AM

Quote:
It will automatically underclock when it gets too hot.

By the time it starts underclocking the cpu temperature would be around 100C! I would not rely on that feature to save your butt...good heatsinks are cheap...you can get an sk-7 for 20 bux these days.

July 22, 2003 1:38:50 AM

Can it boot when you set to 533MHz FSB? I've seen my friend's max can go up to 2.4GHz (FSB at 480) with the same CPU. While mine is willamette, which is poorer in clocking above 2GHz, so my 1.7Ghz can go max at 2Ghz only (FSB 472).
a b à CPUs
July 22, 2003 3:21:25 AM

I've heard between 70C and 80C.

July 22, 2003 4:32:37 AM

i guess thats not soo bad but still...i would be very uncomfortable if i knew that my cpu was that hot...again heatsinks are cheap...cpus are expensive...if the temp starts going up invest in a new fan and/or heatsink.

!