cannot run 'run' task manager

hello

im having problems with my computer .when i try to run task manager ,its on
for about 2 seconds ,same when i try to access 'run' also my system restore
keeps being disabled .ive run all spyware programs..nortons 2005 also wont
run at all.please can someone help.im running xp pro pentium 4- 3.2.

so frustrating.
problems started when a link was clicked in msn messenger.
--
Alan
3 answers Last reply

    Gibraltar wrote:

    > hello
    >
    > im having problems with my computer .when i try to run task manager ,its on
    > for about 2 seconds ,same when i try to access 'run' also my system restore
    > keeps being disabled .ive run all spyware programs..nortons 2005 also wont
    > run at all.please can someone help.im running xp pro pentium 4- 3.2.
    >
    > so frustrating.
    > problems started when a link was clicked in msn messenger.

    From Start | Run type in msconfig, then click ok. Will that run? Try
    the same thing with regedit. If neither will run then that indicates
    the presence of a virus. All malware scans should be done in safe mode.

    For viruses, start with Trend Micro’s Sysclean and McAfee’s Stinger.
    Download them and the Sysclean signature file. Delete the temporary
    internet files, turn off system restore, boot into safe mode and run
    them. Boot back into normal mode and run a full AV scan with your
    normal AV program. Then turn system restore back on.

    Trend Micro Sysclean

    Trend Micro Signature File

    McAfee AVert Stinger Virus Removal Tool
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    You should also regularly run at least two of these online scans in
    addition to your regular up to date AV program:

    Online and Downloadable Virus Scanning:

    Panda ActiveScan

    Bit Defender Online Virus Scan:
    http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/license.php

    Symantec Online Virus and Security Scan:
    http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp

    TrendMicro:

    McAfee Online Virus Scan:
    http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp

    RAV AntiVirus - Scan Online
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

    F-Secure:
    http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml

    After your system is clean use these programs to help keep it clean:

    Spywareblaster
    www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

    Spywareguard
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sgdownload.html

    IE-SPYAD
    http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    hello Rock
    thankyou for that ..ive got rid of the virus but my nortons 2005 will not
    run..also uninstalled it now will not re-installerror message comes up ..i do
    use spybot,spywareblaster ,adaware etc.
    any ideas please?
    thanks again for helping me rid the damned virus
    --
    Alan

    Gibraltar wrote:

    > hello Rock
    > thankyou for that ..ive got rid of the virus but my nortons 2005 will not
    > run..also uninstalled it now will not re-installerror message comes up ..i do
    > use spybot,spywareblaster ,adaware etc.
    > any ideas please?
    > thanks again for helping me rid the damned virus

    You're welcome. I'm glad to hear it's gone but not good news about the
    other problems. FWIW, Norton AV has become extremely bloated and puts
    it's tentacles deep into XP so it's hard if not impossible to uninstall
    and when it goes wrong can be hard to fix short of clean install of XP.

    Have you checked the Symantec knowledge base? They have a utility to
    remove NAV 2005, I think it's called SymNRT.exe, if the regular
    uninstall doesn't work properly. But beware that it can cause it's own
    problems. Last time I used it to remove NAV2004 it also messed up both
    the CDRW and DVD/CD/RW combo drives so neither would be recognized and
    no amount of fiddling would bring them back. I had to restore an image
    of the drive prior to using Norton's uninstaller, and start again. As a
    side note this shows the value of having a good backup system in place
    such as a drive imaging program.

    In any event another course to consider is using a different less
    invasive and bloated AV program. AVG offers a free version as does
    AVAST. Good luck.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User