cannot run 'run' task manager

August 23, 2005 1:31:01 AM

hello

im having problems with my computer .when i try to run task manager ,its on
for about 2 seconds ,same when i try to access 'run' also my system restore
keeps being disabled .ive run all spyware programs..nortons 2005 also wont
run at all.please can someone help.im running xp pro pentium 4- 3.2.

so frustrating.
problems started when a link was clicked in msn messenger.
--
Alan

More about : run run task manager

August 23, 2005 5:11:12 AM

Gibraltar wrote:

> hello
>
> im having problems with my computer .when i try to run task manager ,its on
> for about 2 seconds ,same when i try to access 'run' also my system restore
> keeps being disabled .ive run all spyware programs..nortons 2005 also wont
> run at all.please can someone help.im running xp pro pentium 4- 3.2.
>
> so frustrating.
> problems started when a link was clicked in msn messenger.

From Start | Run type in msconfig, then click ok. Will that run? Try
the same thing with regedit. If neither will run then that indicates
the presence of a virus. All malware scans should be done in safe mode.

For viruses, start with Trend Micro’s Sysclean and McAfee’s Stinger.
Download them and the Sysclean signature file. Delete the temporary
internet files, turn off system restore, boot into safe mode and run
them. Boot back into normal mode and run a full AV scan with your
normal AV program. Then turn system restore back on.

Trend Micro Sysclean

Trend Micro Signature File

McAfee AVert Stinger Virus Removal Tool
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

You should also regularly run at least two of these online scans in
addition to your regular up to date AV program:

Online and Downloadable Virus Scanning:

Panda ActiveScan
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_...

Bit Defender Online Virus Scan:
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/license.php

Symantec Online Virus and Security Scan:
http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp

TrendMicro:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.as...

McAfee Online Virus Scan:
http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp

RAV AntiVirus - Scan Online
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

F-Secure:
http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home/ols.shtml

After your system is clean use these programs to help keep it clean:

Spywareblaster
www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

Spywareguard
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sgdownload.html

IE-SPYAD
http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

hello Rock
thankyou for that ..ive got rid of the virus but my nortons 2005 will not
run..also uninstalled it now will not re-installerror message comes up ..i do
use spybot,spywareblaster ,adaware etc.
any ideas please?
thanks again for helping me rid the damned virus
--
Alan

"Gibraltar" wrote:

> hello
>
> im having problems with my computer .when i try to run task manager ,its on
> for about 2 seconds ,same when i try to access 'run' also my system restore
> keeps being disabled .ive run all spyware programs..nortons 2005 also wont
> run at all.please can someone help.im running xp pro pentium 4- 3.2.
>
> so frustrating.
> problems started when a link was clicked in msn messenger.
> --
> Alan
August 24, 2005 6:03:21 AM

Gibraltar wrote:

> hello Rock
> thankyou for that ..ive got rid of the virus but my nortons 2005 will not
> run..also uninstalled it now will not re-installerror message comes up ..i do
> use spybot,spywareblaster ,adaware etc.
> any ideas please?
> thanks again for helping me rid the damned virus

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear it's gone but not good news about the
other problems. FWIW, Norton AV has become extremely bloated and puts
it's tentacles deep into XP so it's hard if not impossible to uninstall
and when it goes wrong can be hard to fix short of clean install of XP.

Have you checked the Symantec knowledge base? They have a utility to
remove NAV 2005, I think it's called SymNRT.exe, if the regular
uninstall doesn't work properly. But beware that it can cause it's own
problems. Last time I used it to remove NAV2004 it also messed up both
the CDRW and DVD/CD/RW combo drives so neither would be recognized and
no amount of fiddling would bring them back. I had to restore an image
of the drive prior to using Norton's uninstaller, and start again. As a
side note this shows the value of having a good backup system in place
such as a drive imaging program.

In any event another course to consider is using a different less
invasive and bloated AV program. AVG offers a free version as does
AVAST. Good luck.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User