fried CPU????

HEY guys i got great news, my dad being real smart shut down my computer while i was down stair playing PS2 and well u see my mb is kinda screw so when u turn off the computer using the shut down button, the CPU continues running with the fun TURN OFF!!! i come back up stair and what do i see? a whoping 124C hot Athlon T-bird 1400!!! now if that thing doesn't burn up, those T-bird are crazy, but u know, these things dont happen, my question is right now i'm still running the comp and it's not showing any problems so far, is there any way i can check if my "block heater" is broken?

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5900ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF
15 answers Last reply
More about fried
  1. if its stable its not broken...sounds like ya got a via board to me...

The fan on my k6 died and was running that way for over a month (temps in excess of 100c) and it is still running to this day (with a new fan of course).

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil:
  2. i got a AMD 761 chipset on my A7M266, and i dont wanna upgrade until September

120% nVidia Fanboy
  3. hmmm...that is an odd problem...i was sure it was something only the techies at via could conjure up...no rush to upgrade man...i personally am gonna wait till january...hopefully by then both intel's and amd's new platforms will have settled down and become somewhat <i>mature</i> that way there should be few glitches...and of course by then we will know who has the performance crown.

4. JANUARY??? I'LL kill myself by then, I HAVE TO LIVE BLOCK HEATER FOR 3 MONTHS MORE? (hides in the corner)...... well this is my plan, when the prescott and Athlon 64 comes out, i'll see if there is a cheap version of it(so far no)
    and if no i'll just grab a new Springdale/Canterwood and a P4 and wait until Prescott to drop to under $300 canadian LOL

120% nVidia Fanboy
  5. well as my username implies i am doing fine on my pIII 700..so...since i have waited this long no harm in waiting a few more months...

6. well your Pentium 3 700 doesn't increase the room temperture by 10C LOL

120% nVidia Fanboy
  7. You can check for physical damage but those thunderbirds can take a REAL beating.

F-DISK-Format-Reinstal DO DA!! DO DA!!
  8. well i saw a burnt mark beside the core on the Thunderbirds, but i was told that it's just burnt thermal grease thing

120% nVidia Fanboy
  9. lol you burnt your thermal grease...

Well some retail coolers use a waxy thermal grease (i beleive they call it phase change grease or something) that melts to fill the holes in your cpu when it heats up...but i would immagine if you heat it too much it could catch fire...or at least scourch...

I must admit that my cpu is not a "block heater" in fact on some days it does not even break 30c w/ a 26% overclock...yes coppermines ran cool...especially on extreme air cooling...

10. stupid block heater (kicks it)
    It doesn't look like thermal grease, i got a Coolermaster HSF and i bought this computer from my computer teacher (he constructed it for me, COME ON i was young) It's like Pink gum like stuff, i couldn't even removing it with alcohol, i had to like dig it off...............

PS- my block heater runs at 50c idle 63 full load -_-"

120% nVidia Fanboy
  11. that sounds like 1 cool running machine...i need 1 of those for my room durring the winter lol...my pIII just does not cut it for heating...

I think that gum stuff is indeed the phase change grease that was originally used to mount the heatsink...once it gets hot enough it also starts to migrate away from the cpu core...not good! Anyhow...i think a good solution for your overheating problem is to plug the fan into the powersupply not the mobo fan header...thus if the cpu stays on so does the fan...

12. a good solution to my problem would be new CPU/mb LOL

120% nVidia Fanboy
  13. yup probably...that is one weird problem...i can see how it would cause alot of problems...i can only immagine how you first discovered it...

Honey is something burning?

No...

Oh $hit...there's smoke comming out of the computer!

14. ya smoke was coming out of my computer last time it overheated, and it was fine after it cooled down lol
    now this, if AMD made all their CPUs this strong, Intel is in trouble LOL

120% nVidia Fanboy
  15. That problem can be fixed in BIOS.

You see, some BIOS versions would turn off the CPU fan whenever you put your computer to "sleep". The options for what "sleep" does are in power management in BIOS.

Couple that with a computer that doesn't shut down properly (probably due to a resource conflict), and you have a computer that goes into sleep instead of shutting down. Fixing the sleep mode in BIOS should leave the fan running even if the computer hangs on shutdown.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Computer Shutdown