PIII 800 vs Celeron 2ghz

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am looking at upgrading one of my aging computers. A PIII 800. I can get a Celeron 2ghz and a motherboard very cheap these days ($230 Australian dollars) and I'm think of dropping one of these in. (This is my number 2 computer so I am not keen to spend much money on it)

How would this improve the performance of the machine?

<font color=purple><b>Brad</b></font color=purple>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
this would increase performance by 50% probably...however can you give more specs of your pIII system...because there is a chance that you could upgrade to a cheep Tualatin-core celeron for a lot less because you would not have to buy a new mobo...in this case performance would also increase significantly.

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil:

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
yah the p3 Tualatins are freaking sweet processors

faster than athlon xps clock for clock it seems. but dam, they ARE quite a bit more expensive.. actually alot more

-------

<A HREF="http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001355.html" target="_new">*I hate thug gangstas*</A>

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
How would this improve the performance of the machine?

Depends entirely what you are doing. For Office and Internet the increase would be marginal. For gaming you could better buy a $200 video card.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by sjonnie on 07/23/03 07:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
Yes phial the pIII tualatins are great processors...however the celerons are also very nice...if you are going to overclock you will combat the major thing that holds the celeries back...bus speed...the full fledged pIII tualatins use a 133mhz bus speed...if you get a 1.1 and crank that baby up i think you will be more than happy w/ your perfomrance.

But if you are having trouble in graphics aplications...it probably is not your cpu that is holding you back...normally thats GPU...you can get a 9500pro for less than 200 and that would provide good performance and would be a wise investment...best of all its agp 2x/4x/8x compatable...so it is most definatly compatable w/ your board...

There is no smell better than fried silicon :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, let's do some approximations here:

A P4 1.4 Williamette with RDRAM provided around the same performance as a PIII 933.

SDRAM holds back P4 performance by around 20%, so that makes it...roughly equal to a PIII 800EB.

The Celeron 2.0GHz, should be about as fast as a P4 1.5GHz with RDRAM....

I'm guessing a 20-30% performance increase, tops, if you use an SDRAM P4 board for that P4-Celeron.

You could probably get more performance for less money by putting in a $200 PIII 1.4GHz, and a $20 Upgradeware Slot-T adapter, assuming your board supports 133MHz bus speeds.

For even less money...you can get a $45 Celeron 1.1GHz and overclock it to 1466MHz on the same adapter, it will STILL outperform that Celeron 2.0GHz with SDRAM.

If you board is a Socket 370 instead of Slot-1, overclocking is a bit harder with the Socket 370 to Tualatin adapters, because they don't have onboard voltage adjustments.

And if your board doesn't support 133MHz FSB, you could use a $55 Celeron 1400, stock. This is the worst performer of the group, but still should be about equal to...that 2GHz P4 based Celeron with SDRAM.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>