Sign in with
Your question

Best 1920x1200 monitor for RPGs and RTSs

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 11, 2010 3:36:42 AM

Hey...first time posting on these boards, even though I read them all the time.

As the title says, I am looking for a 1920x1200 monitor. I do mostly RPG and RTS gaming with FPS as well, but I am not too worried about getting the best refresh rate like some hardcore FPS gamers might want. I want to get a monitor that wont be replaced by something better within its range in the next year. My biggest concern is spending over $500 on a monitor and having something be released that's better a month after my purchase. I would also PREFER (but I do not require) it be able to be purchased in a store (ie Frys or Microcenter) so if there is a problem with it, I don't have to deal with shipping and handling. I would like to spend under $500, but can budge on the price a little if convinced. Iv spent too much time reading reviews and being sent from one monitor to the next, so I'm hoping for wisdom from another. The following are a few that I think might suit me:

My heart is really set on the last one because of such good reviews, but it appears to be 2years old, and still $600. Hard to justify buying it.

Thoughts?
June 11, 2010 5:53:13 PM

Somthing to note. On some RTS having 16:10 gives you less playing field then 16:9 (because programs tend to favor 16:9 ratios) Games like Starcraft have a bigger field of view with widescreen. Though the difference is minor.. its going to make me buy 16:9 :D  lol.
m
l
June 12, 2010 4:35:12 AM

Yea, I agree. Actually I decided on a monitor. Im going with the Samsung P2250. I read a few reviews on it and everyone had good this to say about it. Since Im not editing photos and whatnot I think it will fulfill my desires. Its only 21.5" with 1920x1080, so I think the picture will be very crisp. The main thing was that its only $180, so if I find something better next year or ISPs random become more affordable I wont be at a loss.
m
l
June 12, 2010 3:08:03 PM

Sounds like a good decision.

This is my current monitor. Dell S2409W 24" Tn panel
Its about 1½ years old (maybe more 'release' rather then purchase date) and I like it alot. With that in mind, I think just about any <$250 TN - LCD bought at this point will be just as good or even better then it.

21'' - 24'' still seems to be the sweet spot for pixel pitchs. After looking around at 27''- 28'' I notice more then a few reviews complaining about grainy text, some washout, and even some ghosting dispite 2-5ms response claims. If there is a magical hero panel in that 27'' area that doesnt have these problems, ive yet to find it for less then $300.

m
l
!