2nd Hard Drive not accessable after re-install of XP Pro

August 23, 2005 4:29:01 AM

I have 2 HDD hooked up. I had a major problem with my previous installation
of XP Pro - I couldn't install ANY software that used windows installer. I
found an article that said a possible solution was to change permissions on
the harddrive. Unfortunately, soon after doing so, I crashed and got into a
setup loop - long story short [too late] I reformatted C: and re-installed XP
Pro. The problem is that now my D: drive is recognised as existing, but
tells me access denied, I'm guessing due to the permissions. Any Ideas
about how to restore access to the D: drive? I can't seem to allow
permissions even as administrator??? [I get only "access denied" whenever I
right click on the drive letter]
August 23, 2005 5:05:39 AM

Uncus wrote:

> I have 2 HDD hooked up. I had a major problem with my previous installation
> of XP Pro - I couldn't install ANY software that used windows installer. I
> found an article that said a possible solution was to change permissions on
> the harddrive. Unfortunately, soon after doing so, I crashed and got into a
> setup loop - long story short [too late] I reformatted C: and re-installed XP
> Pro. The problem is that now my D: drive is recognised as existing, but
> tells me access denied, I'm guessing due to the permissions. Any Ideas
> about how to restore access to the D: drive? I can't seem to allow
> permissions even as administrator??? [I get only "access denied" whenever I
> right click on the drive letter]

You need to take ownership of the folders on that drive. In Start |
Help and Support type ownership in the search window or see this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Worked! THANK YOU!!!!

"Rock" wrote:

> Uncus wrote:
>
> > I have 2 HDD hooked up. I had a major problem with my previous installation
> > of XP Pro - I couldn't install ANY software that used windows installer. I
> > found an article that said a possible solution was to change permissions on
> > the harddrive. Unfortunately, soon after doing so, I crashed and got into a
> > setup loop - long story short [too late] I reformatted C: and re-installed XP
> > Pro. The problem is that now my D: drive is recognised as existing, but
> > tells me access denied, I'm guessing due to the permissions. Any Ideas
> > about how to restore access to the D: drive? I can't seem to allow
> > permissions even as administrator??? [I get only "access denied" whenever I
> > right click on the drive letter]
>
> You need to take ownership of the folders on that drive. In Start |
> Help and Support type ownership in the search window or see this article:
>
> HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

August 24, 2005 5:24:07 AM

Uncus wrote:

> Worked! THANK YOU!!!!
>
> "Rock" wrote:
>

>>Uncus wrote:
>>

>>>I have 2 HDD hooked up. I had a major problem with my previous installation
>>>of XP Pro - I couldn't install ANY software that used windows installer. I
>>>found an article that said a possible solution was to change permissions on
>>>the harddrive. Unfortunately, soon after doing so, I crashed and got into a
>>>setup loop - long story short [too late] I reformatted C: and re-installed XP
>>>Pro. The problem is that now my D: drive is recognised as existing, but
>>>tells me access denied, I'm guessing due to the permissions. Any Ideas
>>>about how to restore access to the D: drive? I can't seem to allow
>>>permissions even as administrator??? [I get only "access denied" whenever I
>>>right click on the drive letter]
>>
>>You need to take ownership of the folders on that drive. In Start |
>>Help and Support type ownership in the search window or see this article:
>>
>>HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
>>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421
>>
>>--
>>Rock
>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Great glad it worked for you and thanks for posting back.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User