Notebook HD Upgrade Boot Problem

Hi Everybody,
I upgraded my notebook's hard drive from a 20GB to a 40GB. I used Drive
Image 7
to make a disk image of the old drive and then restored the image to the new
drive.
Now, the first message to appear at boot up was "Operating System Not
Found".

I created a boot floppy with boot.ini, ntldr & ntdetect files and it allowed
me to choose what windows
install (I have only one) to log onto and Windows XP loaded ready to go.

Everything worked great except I can't get Windows to boot without the boot
floppy and my knowledge on how to fix it
ended with the boot floppy.
So now I am stuck and looking for a fix!
Thanks for the help.
4 answers Last reply
More about notebook upgrade boot problem

    I'm NOT an expert, but I think if you copy those 3 files into your windows
    folder [or maybe into your c: ?] it'll work. I'd try the windows folder
    first and just see if it works...

    Scot wrote:
    > Hi Everybody,
    > I upgraded my notebook's hard drive from a 20GB to a 40GB. I used Drive
    > Image 7
    > to make a disk image of the old drive and then restored the image to the new
    > drive.
    > Now, the first message to appear at boot up was "Operating System Not
    > Found".
    >
    > I created a boot floppy with boot.ini, ntldr & ntdetect files and it allowed
    > me to choose what windows
    > install (I have only one) to log onto and Windows XP loaded ready to go.
    >
    > Everything worked great except I can't get Windows to boot without the boot
    > floppy and my knowledge on how to fix it
    > ended with the boot floppy.
    > So now I am stuck and looking for a fix!
    > Thanks for the help.

    See this article:

    "Operating System Not Found" or "Missing operating system" error message
    when you start your Windows XP-based computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=321626

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Put the files on C:.
    Is the drive marked Active?
    --
    Ron Sommer

    "Uncus" <Uncus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm NOT an expert, but I think if you copy those 3 files into your windows
    > folder [or maybe into your c: ?] it'll work. I'd try the windows folder
    > first and just see if it works...
    >
    > "Scot" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Everybody,
    >> I upgraded my notebook's hard drive from a 20GB to a 40GB. I used Drive
    >> Image 7
    >> to make a disk image of the old drive and then restored the image to the
    >> new
    >> drive.
    >> Now, the first message to appear at boot up was "Operating System Not
    >> Found".
    >>
    >> I created a boot floppy with boot.ini, ntldr & ntdetect files and it
    >> allowed
    >> me to choose what windows
    >> install (I have only one) to log onto and Windows XP loaded ready to go.
    >>
    >> Everything worked great except I can't get Windows to boot without the
    >> boot
    >> floppy and my knowledge on how to fix it
    >> ended with the boot floppy.
    >> So now I am stuck and looking for a fix!
    >> Thanks for the help.

    Thanks for the help,
    I had set the drive active during the restore, but Drive Image didn't do it
    and I overlooked it. This took care of the "Operating System Not Found"
    error.
    Then the "NTLDR Missing" error appeared which was promptly fixed with
    copying the file from the boot disk to the C: drive.
    Everything is running great! Thanks everybody!

    "Ron Sommer" wrote
    > Put the files on C:.
    > Is the drive marked Active?
    > --
    > Ron Sommer

    "Uncus" wrote
    > I'm NOT an expert, but I think if you copy those 3 files into your windows
    > folder [or maybe into your c: ?] it'll work. I'd try the windows folder
    > first and just see if it works...

    "Rock" wrote
    > See this article:
    >
    > "Operating System Not Found" or "Missing operating system" error message
    > when you start your Windows XP-based computer
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=321626

    > "Scot" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Everybody,
    >> I upgraded my notebook's hard drive from a 20GB to a 40GB. I used Drive
    >> Image 7
    >> to make a disk image of the old drive and then restored the image to the
    >> new
    >> drive.
    >> Now, the first message to appear at boot up was "Operating System Not
    >> Found".
    >>
    >> I created a boot floppy with boot.ini, ntldr & ntdetect files and it
    >> allowed
    >> me to choose what windows
    >> install (I have only one) to log onto and Windows XP loaded ready to go.
    >>
    >> Everything worked great except I can't get Windows to boot without the
    >> boot
    >> floppy and my knowledge on how to fix it
    >> ended with the boot floppy.
    >> So now I am stuck and looking for a fix!
    >> Thanks for the help.

Floppy Disk Notebooks Boot Windows XP