Creating a recovery disk

August 23, 2005 11:53:31 AM

I have ghost 2003 installed on my pc and want to create a Recovery Disc
(Windows XP and installed drivers). The only problem is I have no floppy
drive. Could anyone give me step by step details on how to do this. I have
tried ghost boot wizard (need a floppy). I have tried Disk to Image and then
Image to Disk. I wiped out all that was on the 1st drive (C) and Partition
(D) and all that was on the 2nd drive (E)
(photos.documents,music.downloads). I don't know how it happened but it did.
I have now reinstalled Windows and all the drivers but I still want to make
a recovery disc.

More about : creating recovery disk

August 23, 2005 11:53:32 AM

Faced with the same problem I just bought a USB floppy drive for my
recently purchased Toshiba laptop. They are about $50-60 which, when
you consider the time you have to spend figuring out another solution,
is cheap. You should check your BIOS, though, to see if you can boot
from it before buying.

That being said, I wonder if you could boot from a USB flash drive.
That would require getting Ghost to recognize the flash drive as a
bootable device and then getting your PC's BIOS to boot from it. Has
anyone tried this?

/Martin
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 12:17:49 AM

I actually created one of those floppies for Ghost 2003.

In the root directory on the floppy it has three files namely:

IBMBIO.COM
IBMDOS.COM
MOUSE.COM

Then under a folder called GHOST, it has one large file:
GHOST.EXE

If you can locate those files on your installation Ghost CD, you may be able to burn
them to CD.

Only problem is it may not work if you don't have a 2nd CD drive to load your back
up.

Your other option is to update to 2005 Ghost - it doesn't require a floppy disk.

Wilma wrote:
> I have ghost 2003 installed on my pc and want to create a Recovery
> Disc (Windows XP and installed drivers). The only problem is I have
> no floppy drive. Could anyone give me step by step details on how to
> do this. I have tried ghost boot wizard (need a floppy). I have tried
> Disk to Image and then Image to Disk. I wiped out all that was on the
> 1st drive (C) and Partition (D) and all that was on the 2nd drive (E)
> (photos.documents,music.downloads). I don't know how it happened but
> it did. I have now reinstalled Windows and all the drivers but I
> still want to make a recovery disc.
August 24, 2005 12:17:50 AM

Thank you for the response. I checked ebay
Norton Ghost 2005 on eBay
but it says that Norton 2003 is included. Any views on that?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NORTON-GHOST-9-0-2005-NEW-SEALED-...
"TaurArian [MVP]" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I actually created one of those floppies for Ghost 2003.
>
> In the root directory on the floppy it has three files namely:
>
> IBMBIO.COM
> IBMDOS.COM
> MOUSE.COM
>
> Then under a folder called GHOST, it has one large file:
> GHOST.EXE
>
> If you can locate those files on your installation Ghost CD, you may be
> able to burn them to CD.
>
> Only problem is it may not work if you don't have a 2nd CD drive to load
> your back up.
>
> Your other option is to update to 2005 Ghost - it doesn't require a floppy
> disk.
>

> Wilma wrote:
>> I have ghost 2003 installed on my pc and want to create a Recovery
>> Disc (Windows XP and installed drivers). The only problem is I have
>> no floppy drive. Could anyone give me step by step details on how to
>> do this. I have tried ghost boot wizard (need a floppy). I have tried
>> Disk to Image and then Image to Disk. I wiped out all that was on the
>> 1st drive (C) and Partition (D) and all that was on the 2nd drive (E)
>> (photos.documents,music.downloads). I don't know how it happened but
>> it did. I have now reinstalled Windows and all the drivers but I
>> still want to make a recovery disc.

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 12:17:51 AM

One "Trick" to creating a Bootable CD-R with DOS based tools
is to include a RAM Drive. This way most tools become writable
and don't have issues with the Read Only attribute. It's pretty easy
to create a 9X based boot image with the necessary code. In my
own case I have a \Apps folder on the CD-R that gets loaded into
the RAM Drive. From this I can run Drive Image, Partition Magic,
SpinRite and some others. You can also include a basic Mouse
driver. It's the lack of DOS level access on many of these utilities
that has prevented me from updating to newer releases.

"Wilma" <wilma@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NORTON-GHOST-9-0-2005-NEW-SEALED-...
> "TaurArian [MVP]" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I actually created one of those floppies for Ghost 2003.
>>
>> In the root directory on the floppy it has three files namely:
>>
>> IBMBIO.COM
>> IBMDOS.COM
>> MOUSE.COM
>>
>> Then under a folder called GHOST, it has one large file:
>> GHOST.EXE
>>
>> If you can locate those files on your installation Ghost CD, you may be
>> able to burn them to CD.
>>
>> Only problem is it may not work if you don't have a 2nd CD drive to load
>> your back up.
>>
>> Your other option is to update to 2005 Ghost - it doesn't require a
>> floppy disk.
>>

>> Wilma wrote:
>>> I have ghost 2003 installed on my pc and want to create a Recovery
>>> Disc (Windows XP and installed drivers). The only problem is I have
>>> no floppy drive. Could anyone give me step by step details on how to
>>> do this. I have tried ghost boot wizard (need a floppy). I have tried
>>> Disk to Image and then Image to Disk. I wiped out all that was on the
>>> 1st drive (C) and Partition (D) and all that was on the 2nd drive (E)
>>> (photos.documents,music.downloads). I don't know how it happened but
>>> it did. I have now reinstalled Windows and all the drivers but I
>>> still want to make a recovery disc.

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 2:04:46 AM

I got Ghost as part of the Norton's Internet Security Premier package.
You can buy Ghost separately. I purchased mine retail.
Kaylene

Wilma wrote:
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NORTON-GHOST-9-0-2005-NEW-SEALED-...
> "TaurArian [MVP]" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I actually created one of those floppies for Ghost 2003.
>>
>> In the root directory on the floppy it has three files namely:
>>
>> IBMBIO.COM
>> IBMDOS.COM
>> MOUSE.COM
>>
>> Then under a folder called GHOST, it has one large file:
>> GHOST.EXE
>>
>> If you can locate those files on your installation Ghost CD, you may
>> be able to burn them to CD.
>>
>> Only problem is it may not work if you don't have a 2nd CD drive to
>> load your back up.
>>
>> Your other option is to update to 2005 Ghost - it doesn't require a
>> floppy disk.
>>

>> Wilma wrote:
>>> I have ghost 2003 installed on my pc and want to create a Recovery
>>> Disc (Windows XP and installed drivers). The only problem is I have
>>> no floppy drive. Could anyone give me step by step details on how to
>>> do this. I have tried ghost boot wizard (need a floppy). I have
>>> tried Disk to Image and then Image to Disk. I wiped out all that
>>> was on the 1st drive (C) and Partition (D) and all that was on the
>>> 2nd drive (E) (photos.documents,music.downloads). I don't know how
>>> it happened but it did. I have now reinstalled Windows and all the
>>> drivers but I still want to make a recovery disc.
August 24, 2005 2:04:47 AM

google for the Radified Guide to Ghost 2003 - a good manual for using that
version of the product. It will explain how to make bootable recovery
disks, along w/ everything else. Note Ghost changed a lot after the 2003
version.
!