should i wait???

ssmith

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
i am getting ready to buy a new gaming style pc. i am looking to spend around $2000. should i wait for the "pentium 5" or 64 bit pc?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wait as long as you like, hardware is always improving. If you wait until this time next year, AGP and PCI will be irrelavent, replaced by PCI-Express.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ssmith

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
i would like to buy right now. just dont want to regret the 3.0 or 3.2 if there will be a lot of better advantages with the 3.4 or 3.6

also, what is your opinion on klipsch speaker systems?

ssmith

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
no. just looking at a P4 3.0 or 3.2, 1gb ram, can't decide if the 256mb video card is worth the extra, 875PE chipset, not sure about sound card yet, unsure about tower also. do not know a lot about proper cooling actually.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ssmith on 07/22/03 01:05 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

I ordered from New Egg P4 2.4c $175 Abit IS7 $109 HyperX PC 3500 2 x 512. From Best Buy. You want the 3.2 if you have the money buy know or wait till Oct prices will go down. Unless you have money to burn on Vid card. I'd go with 128Mb DDR. I'm looking at Sapphire 9600 Pro. The 9800 Pro is ATI's top of the line. But new vid cards are coming from ATI and Nvidia. I don't have release dates.

G

I dont see that many advantages to wait for the first Prescott. Ya 1mb of L2cache is nice and the new instructions might speed things up a little, but without the new chipset and the new socket I dont beleive we will see Prescott's true power. I suggest to buy now or in 1 year when the new chipset and new socket comes out...