Inspiron 8100 Touch Pad

My touch pad seems is whacked.
The cursor "walks" around even when not in use.
It seems related to pressure on - or near - the touch pad.
I've disabled it and am using a USB mouse.
Even then I have to be careful not to apply much pressure to the resting
pads or the cursor starts its walking .
Can this be easily replaced and where would I get one?

Brad

"getsumonya" <conspiracy@theory.com> wrote in message
> My touch pad seems is whacked.
> The cursor "walks" around even when not in use.
> It seems related to pressure on - or near - the touch pad.
> I've disabled it and am using a USB mouse.
> Even then I have to be careful not to apply much pressure to the resting
> pads or the cursor starts its walking .
> Can this be easily replaced and where would I get one?
>
> Brad

Might be worth uninstalling/reinstalling it via the device manager and also
trying to update the driver before taking hammer and tong to it...

Ike

Pelle

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

"getsumonya" <conspiracy@theory.com> skrev i meddelandet
> My touch pad seems is whacked.
> The cursor "walks" around even when not in use.
> It seems related to pressure on - or near - the touch pad.
> I've disabled it and am using a USB mouse.
> Even then I have to be careful not to apply much pressure to the resting
> pads or the cursor starts its walking .
> Can this be easily replaced and where would I get one?
>
> Brad

No warranty left i guess i had the same problem twice with a I8100
and a L C800.

Its the stick in the keybourd that broken not the pad u have 3
options 1. buy a new keyboard 2.disable touchpad/stick in bios or 3 as
i did remove keyboard and add some tape in thje keyboard connector
there the wires from stick are connected.....its the wires to the
right in the little connector add some tape there and evertthing will
be fine....of corse u can not use the stick.... but i dont know many
who does.

Pelle

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

You have the Dell drifting cursor problem, if its under warranty Dell will
replace the K/B & or Palmrest

"Ira Hayes" <indianNOSPAM@XXXhotmail.com> wrote in message
> "getsumonya" <conspiracy@theory.com> wrote in message
> > My touch pad seems is whacked.
> > The cursor "walks" around even when not in use.
> > It seems related to pressure on - or near - the touch pad.
> > I've disabled it and am using a USB mouse.
> > Even then I have to be careful not to apply much pressure to the resting
> > pads or the cursor starts its walking .
> > Can this be easily replaced and where would I get one?

Had the same problem with my Inspiron 4000
I disabled it in the BIOS settings. It doesn't walk anymore

Just over 3 years old and out of warranty.
I don't think its the stick cuz the stick works fine - as long as I don't
apply too much pressure to the PalmRest.
Think I'll just relegate it to desktop duty using a USB mouse and start
looking at some newer laptops.