Access Denied

After having problems with the computer, we had it returned with our
origional hardrive as a secondary in the tower, however, all bar one of the
old user accounts on the secondary hard drive is innaccessible. I keep
getting the error message 'Access Denied' and i cant take ownership of the
file as there is no security tab present on the properties of the folder. Any
ideas as to how i can get access to it?
2 answers Last reply
More about access denied

    sc wrote:
    > After having problems with the computer, we had it returned with our
    > origional hardrive as a secondary in the tower, however, all bar one
    > of the old user accounts on the secondary hard drive is
    > innaccessible. I keep getting the error message 'Access Denied' and i
    > cant take ownership of the file as there is no security tab present
    > on the properties of the folder. Any ideas as to how i can get access
    > to it?

    If you are using XP Home, start in Safe Mode and the Security tab will be visible.

    --

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

    I had the same problem a week or two ago and this is what they told me to
    do and it worked.

    For additional information about file and folder permissions, click the
    following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/161275 Interaction of file and folder
    security on NTFS volumes

    or try this

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874

    Good Luck

    "sc" wrote:

    > After having problems with the computer, we had it returned with our
    > origional hardrive as a secondary in the tower, however, all bar one of the
    > old user accounts on the secondary hard drive is innaccessible. I keep
    > getting the error message 'Access Denied' and i cant take ownership of the
    > file as there is no security tab present on the properties of the folder. Any
    > ideas as to how i can get access to it?

Windows XP