Whenever I try to shutdown my computer or restart nothing happens. It just
stays at my desktop. If I try to log off or switch users I get a black screen
and a small message window saying with the title of, "Parser Message" then in
the window it says, "Value creation failed" at line 40" (with the quotation
in the middle). The only way I can turn the computer off is by holding the
power button. When I turn the computer on I get the same message and click ok
a couple of times then I get to a log on screen where you have to type in a
user and password. Normally I just click the user's name. This started this
morning when I left the computer on (accidentally) and showered, when I came
back my screensaver was on and I moved my mouse and I had the message. I
tried going into safe mode and doing system restore but that didn't work and
I couldn't shutdown from safe mode. When I eventually log on everything works
normally. Please help me before I break my computer.

Hi

Please try the following link to Jim Eshelman's web site:

http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

--

Will Denny
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

"ThaMasta" <ThaMasta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Whenever I try to shutdown my computer or restart nothing happens. It just
> stays at my desktop. If I try to log off or switch users I get a black
> screen
> and a small message window saying with the title of, "Parser Message" then
> in
> the window it says, "Value creation failed" at line 40" (with the
> quotation
> in the middle). The only way I can turn the computer off is by holding the
> power button. When I turn the computer on I get the same message and click
> ok
> a couple of times then I get to a log on screen where you have to type in
> user and password. Normally I just click the user's name. This started
> this
> morning when I left the computer on (accidentally) and showered, when I
> came
> back my screensaver was on and I moved my mouse and I had the message. I
> tried going into safe mode and doing system restore but that didn't work
> and
> I couldn't shutdown from safe mode. When I eventually log on everything
> works
> normally. Please help me before I break my computer.

I couldn't find anything on that website that relates to my current
situation. Thanks for the the reply though.

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Please try the following link to Jim Eshelman's web site:
>
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php
>
> --
>

> Will Denny
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>
> "ThaMasta" <ThaMasta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Whenever I try to shutdown my computer or restart nothing happens. It just
> > stays at my desktop. If I try to log off or switch users I get a black
> > screen
> > and a small message window saying with the title of, "Parser Message" then
> > in
> > the window it says, "Value creation failed" at line 40" (with the
> > quotation
> > in the middle). The only way I can turn the computer off is by holding the
> > power button. When I turn the computer on I get the same message and click
> > ok
> > a couple of times then I get to a log on screen where you have to type in
> > user and password. Normally I just click the user's name. This started
> > this
> > morning when I left the computer on (accidentally) and showered, when I
> > came
> > back my screensaver was on and I moved my mouse and I had the message. I
> > tried going into safe mode and doing system restore but that didn't work
> > and
> > I couldn't shutdown from safe mode. When I eventually log on everything
> > works
> > normally. Please help me before I break my computer.

Try this: Go to this site:
[http://www.webtechgeek.com/How-to-one-click-shutdown-button.htm].
Scroll down to the "How To" make a One-Click-shutdown.
Make one of each. Try one or both. Did it work?
Also, try: Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer. Click on
"System". What's it say at the RED X's? (You may have to scroll down.
Rt.-click an event and choose "properties" for details.)

"ThaMasta" wrote:

> Whenever I try to shutdown my computer or restart nothing happens. It just
> stays at my desktop. If I try to log off or switch users I get a black screen
> and a small message window saying with the title of, "Parser Message" then in
> the window it says, "Value creation failed" at line 40" (with the quotation
> in the middle). The only way I can turn the computer off is by holding the
> power button. When I turn the computer on I get the same message and click ok
> a couple of times then I get to a log on screen where you have to type in a
> user and password. Normally I just click the user's name. This started this
> morning when I left the computer on (accidentally) and showered, when I came
> back my screensaver was on and I moved my mouse and I had the message. I
> tried going into safe mode and doing system restore but that didn't work and
> I couldn't shutdown from safe mode. When I eventually log on everything works
> normally. Please help me before I break my computer.

Okay. There's really not enough info about your system. Also, have you run
malware programs? Antivirus? Sounds like some program has taken over control
or is hanging up your system.
One more download: Process Explorer
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,23780,tk,hsx,00.asp
Run this if Antivirus & Spybot & Adaware reveal nothing.

> > "ThaMasta" wrote:
>
> > None of the errors saying anything about shutdown or startup/log on. Most of
> > errors say the location is Service Control Manager and Dhcp.

Oh, check your Display Properties>Screensaver Tab>Power button
Is "Standby" turned on?

"st.daniel" wrote:

> Okay. There's really not enough info about your system.

What I did was reboot my computer to the orginal state of it and that fixed
it. Thanks for trying to help though.