Sign in with
Your question

1500$ Gaming Rig...few Questions PLz

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 23, 2003 8:37:56 AM

Ya ya, i know there have been alot of threads like this, but i have been reading these forums for a while, and have done some research, and have come up with a setup for my new computer...and could really use your guys input. Heres what ive got so far.... all from newegg by the way

Case- ANTEC LIFE STYLE SERIES SONATA PIANO BLACK Model# Sonata w/ ANTEC TRUE380 380W Power Supply

CD-RW Drive- Lite On 52x32x52x Black Color CDRW Drive LTR-52327S - OEM

DVD ROM Drive- LITE-ON XJ-HD166/XJ-HD 165H 16X DVD ROM Drive BLACK- OEM

Floppy Drive- SAMSUNG 1.44MB BLACK FLOPPY DRIVE Model# SFD321B/LBL - OEM, DRIVE ONLY

Hard Drive- Western Digital 120GB SATA WD1200JD 7,200 RPM 8MB Hard Drive OEM

Keyboard and Mouse- Logitech Cordless MX Duo - RETAIL

RAM- KINGSTON HyperX Series 184-pin 512MB DDR434 (PC3500) DDR RAM modules, Model# KHX3500/512- 2 PIECES

Motherboard- ABIT IC7, Intel 875P chipset for Socket 478 P4 Canterwood ATX motherboard RETAIL

Processor- Intel Pentium 4 / 2.8CGHz 512k socket 478 Hyper Threading Technology 800 MHz FSB - RETAIL

Sound Card- CREATIVE LABS SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY WITH 1394 - OEM

Speakers- Logitech Z640 5.1 Speaker - RETAIL

Video Card- ATI OEM SAPPHIRE RADEON 9800 128MB Non Pro DVI/TV 8X AGP BULK

So What do you guys think of that setup?? Ive got a few questions/concerns that if you guys could answer, i would appreciate it.

1. With that case, will i be good to overclock my proc some?? i plan on running my processor 1:1 with some good 3500 or 3700 ram.

2. I heard the logitech cordless mx duo was really good, but i also saw some posts saying it lagged....now for 85$ for a keyboard and mouse, i want it to be something i can use for a loooong time...if the mx duo isnt that good, is there some other keyboard/mouse i should get?

3. About my RAM...i plan to run 1:1 with the ram and overclock a little...is this ram good? or is there some better 3500/3700 ram i should get?? Also, how much performance is really lost with loose timings?? cuz i was looking at some PC3700 buffalo ram, is that good?

4. Just point out anything you would change, or anything that is not compatible with eachother.

Sorry, this is sorta a really long post with lotsa questions...but you guys on these boards are really smart, so thanks to anyone who answers
July 23, 2003 1:05:42 PM

- Get a 430W TruePower, trust me, you'll need that amount of power if you want to overclock.
- Kingston HyperX PC3500 is very good. From the PC3500 roundup I've read, Mushkin comes in first place where Corsair and Kingston share the second, and Kingston favours Corsair in low latency overclocking.
- You are not using ECC RAM, and according to your setup, you don't seem to badly need the extra features on Canterwood chipset, why not try the Springdale chipset? MSI Neo2 is a good one. My friend is going to build an Intel system based on this mobo.
- If you want Creative sound card, you should get Audigy2 for much better sound quality. If not, there are many other better sound card option, try to search the sound card forum for more info.
- If you are looking at cordless keyboard/mouse combo, I really can't think of anything else can be better than Logitech and it's 5-year warranty. But remember that, input devices are the component you use most on your system, you have to actually feel them to see if you like them or not. So go to some retail shop and have a test on them before you buy them :)  The same applies to speaker.
- My $0.02

If I agree with you... will you shut up?
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>
July 23, 2003 2:31:34 PM

One heck of a puter your buying. I agree with TKH said you should change. I bought HyperX PC 3500 at Best BUY. They had it on sale last week for $120 I bought two 512. Do you have a montior? Also what OS are you using?
Related resources
July 23, 2003 3:13:17 PM

The Antec Sonata is a great case! :)  It has two minor flaws though: 1) The power supply isn't so stunning if you're building a power-hungry PC. 2) For at least some of them the front-panel audio cable labels don't match the instructions. There is a correction to the instructions for the audio cable in a FAQ on Antec's website though, and you can always buy a bigger power supply should the system be unstable with just the True380.

That aside, the Sonata is a great case. I absolutely love mine. I just hope that some day Antec makes a slightly larger SOHO file-server version of the Sonata with a True480 (or better) power supply.

Anywho, here are my suggestions:
1) Unless you have a serious reason for the Audigy, save a little money and ditch the Audigy all together. Just get a mobo with onboard 5.1 sound. (Most 865s and 875s do.) If you just want the firewire port, get a mobo with onboard firewire. There are plenty out there. My Asus P4P800 Deluxe has great 5.1 sound and firewire. :) 

2) Get a motherboard with a large fanlesss northbridge. (Such as the Asus P4P800 boards.) The air flow in the Sonata is <b>so</b> good that a large fanless northbridge will run cooler than a low-profile fanned northbridge, and it'll be quieter.

3) Since you're OCing <i>definately</i> get an extra 120mm case fan to put on the 'front'. (And I use that term loosely because in the Sonata the 'front' fan is actually located between the hard drive bay and the motherboard, so it's more like a middle fan.) A nice Antec 120mm Smartfan will do. (It's what I'm using.) Or if you want control of the RPMs instead of an automated by temperature system, go with something like an Enermax 120mm fan with speed control.

4) If you plan on doing some <i>serious</i> OCing and don't care about noise then also get a good 120mm fan to replace the Sonata's stock 120mm exhaust fan. The 120mm fan that comes with the Sonata is low RPM. It's very quiet, but you can definately find 120mm fans that will move more air if quiet isn't your thing.

5) If you're really into trying something fun, try moving the 'front' fan up by using only the top two mounts on the case and the bottom two holes in the fan. (I'd highly suggest doing this with a nut and bolt instead of Antec's rubber thingies or even standard case fan screws if you try it.) This puts the airflow from it a heck of a lot closer to the CPU and RAM. I haven't tried it yet myself because I don't have a reason to, but it could make a difference when OCing. (Especially if you take one of the floppy bay covers off and leave the front panel open for a nice big front intake vent.)

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>
July 23, 2003 3:20:14 PM

Your going to OC you'll need a better HSF. Zalman CNPS7000 AL/Cu I'm still waiting for New EGG to get them. Maybe 28 July when I checked today. Delayed again. Rats!!
July 24, 2003 5:43:26 AM

Ive heard the intel stock heatsink is good...and im not doing major overclocking..just like 1:1 with pc3500 ram...thats like 2.8-3.0 not much..
July 24, 2003 6:04:24 AM

pc3700 is not worth the money...pc3500 will do pc3700 speeds at $hitty timmings....

If you are only overclocking to 3.0...cooling is not a very big concern...

Slvr...what do you have against antec 380 watt ps's i think that should be fine for this system...more than 450 is overkill IMO...considering they run modern dual cpu systems off of 500watters

So easy to fry yet tastes so good...
Silicon: The other, other, other white meat :evil: 
July 24, 2003 11:57:26 AM

Stock HSF will be fine for that OC.
July 24, 2003 11:58:35 AM

How about Antec True Power 430?
July 24, 2003 3:50:13 PM

Quote:
Slvr...what do you have against antec 380 watt ps's i think that should be fine for this system.

I don't have anything against Antec's True380. I love mine. I especially like the fan-only power connectors that get lower voltages when the temps are down so that the PC runs even quieter. It's great. :) 

That aside, the Sonata's True380 only has one fan instead of two. Sure it has larger heat sinks to try and make up for it, but I don't know if you can trust it to press to the edge as well as a standard True380. **shrug** Only testing will tell. And as I said, the power supply can be updated <i>if</i> the stock True380 leaves things unstable. I never said that it <i>would</i> leave it unstable or that it was even likely to do so.

Quote:
more than 450 is overkill IMO...considering they run modern dual cpu systems off of 500watters

I can't completely agree. Recent graphics cards are real power hungry beasts, as are recent top-end processors. Combine that with people's penchance to have RAID arrays, extra fans, internal lights, and use up power in so many new ways that many times a large power supply is just good sense.

That aside, I've still seen a P4 2.8GHz on an i845PE mobo with 512MB RAM, a CD ROM, a DVD burner, and a hard drive all running on a 200W power supply and it's extremely stable. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I'd never have believed it.

But still, the less W that a power supply uses out of its maximum rating the cooler it runs. So overkill is useful when OCing, building a 'silent' PC, and/or building a PC for warm climates.

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>
July 24, 2003 6:24:01 PM

the top of the line dells come with less than 250...they are stable...

I still stand by the 380...as long as we are sticking to this build...sure other scenarios might require 450...but this one is 350-400 IMO...

July 24, 2003 6:43:59 PM

So are you buying dell?
July 24, 2003 6:49:40 PM

Quote:
I still stand by the 380...as long as we are sticking to this build...sure other scenarios might require 450...but this one is 350-400 IMO...

I agree. In fact I never once said that it wasn't. For <i>this</i> build the True 380 will probably be fine, but <i>if</i> not then the power supply can always be upgraded afterwords. That's all that I ever said.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2003 7:24:07 PM

That system is almost identical to the one I'm building! Tell me how it goes.

I know Antec cases look really cool, but I got an amazing case from Maxtop that is an overlocker's dream.
-2 Rear 80mm Fans both @ 40cfm
-1 120mm fan on the side blowing on the CPU
-1 Blowhole fan that is 1/2 inch away from my PSU,also 120mm
-1 80mm intake fan, YS-Tech brand pumping 49cfm,blows on HD
-Easy to use also, removable m-board tray, front USB

Cost only about $50 U.S. @ newegg.com! It also looks decent too. Threw in a 400watt Powmax PSU and I'm set! (figured I could get away w/ a cheaper brand b/c i'm only using 1 HD and one CDROM).

Although I might have to dig into the piggy-bank and replace the PSU with a better brand PSU, my current Case and PSU setup only cost about $75!

<font color=red>Crack Addict=Baaaaad </font color=red>
<font color=green>THG Addict=Goooooood </font color=green>
<A HREF="http://www.tylersite.8k.com/photo.html " target="_new">http://www.tylersite.8k.com/photo.html </A>
July 24, 2003 7:26:42 PM

fortron makes good cheep power supplies...

July 24, 2003 7:27:59 PM

NO...that was not the point...i am saying that if dells can run stably with a 250 watter 380 should take care of this just fine...

July 24, 2003 7:29:55 PM

Quote:
1) The power supply isn't so stunning if you're building a power-hungry PC.

Woops i guess i missed the last part of that quote

July 24, 2003 10:57:48 PM

I got the logitech navigator duo. I ended up buying the MX 700 mouse later. It is a BIG improvement to the one that came with the duo. I would reccomend buying the keyboard and mouse seperatly. It will cost more but will be less than buying a better mouse later.
July 25, 2003 12:07:02 AM

I new you where not going to buy dell. Your right 380 should work well for that system.
July 25, 2003 5:21:47 AM

Thanks for the input guys...and yea i tyhink ill stick with the 380 psu for now...i think it will work fine.

Also, im gonna check out that maxtop case...it sounds nice...but is it noisy??
July 25, 2003 6:31:10 AM

The case can be noisy... or not.
It all depends on what YOU put in it.
Stick to low speed casefans and low to medium speed CPU fans nd you should be allright.

<b><i>"Why don't you try practicing random acts of intelligence and senseless acts of self-control?"</b></i> :eek: 
July 25, 2003 7:20:52 AM

hehe...i think it is funny when people ask...whats the quitest case...

July 25, 2003 7:34:59 AM

could some1 give me a link to that cas.e...maybe im just stupid but icant seem to find that same case...the maxtop one by the way
July 25, 2003 10:11:23 AM

i been thinking about the sonata and the psu and stuff, so i was looking around newegg and how would this do

this kingwin case:

Kingwin (BLACK) All Aluminum 10-Bay Mid tower case, with a Large Side Window. KT-424-BK-WM Specifications:
2.00mm aluminum thickness.
Anti-shock absorber system for hard.drives.
Dimensions: 20"(D) x 8.6"(W) x 17.7"(H).
Drive Bays 4 x 5.25" - 2x 3.5" - 4 x 3.5" (Hidden)
Material: Aluminum Alloy
3 x 80mm Case Fans.
2 USB + 1 Firewire Ports at front.
NO POWER SUPPLY. Retail. Model#: KT-424-BK-WM

and an Allied 450W PSU

The PSU seems kinda cheep for a 450W PSU, anybody tried or heard anything about it? Is it quiet? anything pretty much
July 25, 2003 3:13:20 PM

Allied is a cheap PSU. Buy Antec Enermax or Forltron thats if I spelled the last two right.
July 25, 2003 3:22:52 PM

Quote:
hehe...i think it is funny when people ask...whats the quitest case...

In general it is silly, however there are some cases out there that really do take the extra steps to reduce noise. So in fact some cases themselves are noticably quieter than others. They can reduce resonance/vibration. They can come equipped with low-RPM fans. They can use vibration-reducing hard drive mounts. The Sonata even comes with soft rubber rivets to use for mounting the fans instead of screws. (They keep the fan casing seperated from the case with soft rubber so that vibrations from the fans aren't transfered to the case.)

So as funny as it is to ask about quiet cases, the truth is that there really are cases that reduce the noise. It isn't <i>just</i> a matter of internal components anymore.

July 25, 2003 3:27:13 PM

So put a blanket in your case. That should make it nice an quiet.
July 25, 2003 3:27:50 PM

I think it's a 200W Foxconn supply that I have in my Celeron 500 box. I bought it as an 'upgrade' to fix the problems that I was having with my even lower rated supply.

It's frankly not the best. In fact the supply didn't even meet the size specs and I had to bend tabs in the case so that it'd even fit. :(  Luckily it was only slightly out of spec so bending things worked okay.

It's also not the most silent in the world. I can't say much for performance though since, well, it's not like that system pushes the supply very hard. Heh heh.

But anyway, based on that power supply, I'd never buy from them again. Heck, I wouldn't have even bought from them in the first place if I'd had any realy choice. But the supply was a weird size standard and my choices were extremely limited.

July 25, 2003 3:28:07 PM

I put together all of my fans with rubber groumets so that they do not vibrate as much...as long as you put some time and thought into it before you build anyone should be able to make one that is quiet...

However the best question of all is....

What is the quietest heatsink?

Yes...a bad powersupply can just ruin your stability...and is very anoying....one of the least technologicaly advanced parts of the computer but alway the one to fail...go figure...

July 25, 2003 3:33:11 PM

Quote:
So put a blanket in your case. That should make it nice an quiet.

Hardwareboss...i am sure this is how you quiet down all of your girlfriends....

July 25, 2003 4:33:08 PM

That Kingwin case looks real nice to me...and i would prefer it over the Antec, but its 98$ and no PSU, and i didnt want to spend more than 150$ on case/psu....so is there any 50$ 400Watt PSU out there that is decently quiet and stable??
July 25, 2003 4:36:40 PM

Antec 1080AMG case with 430 True Power PSU $115. At New Egg.
!