Bad Pool

Have Dimension 8300 under Windows XP which is constantly lapsing
into a blue screen saying BAD_POOL_CALL along with some obscure
hex codes.
Rang help desk (India?) and the guy gave me a logitech mouse web-link
to download. My Dell doesen't even have the grunt to log on to the web,
so helpdesk suggested I use my second computer and transfer to floppy.
What he didn't say was that the download is 4MB, too big for floppy!

I highly doubt his advice anyway! The computer had been running perfectly
for the last 3 months. There have been no recent hardware installs or
software
for the last 6 weeks.
Can anybody help?
Thanks in advance. Mick

"michael harrington" <mikharr@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> Have Dimension 8300 under Windows XP which is constantly lapsing
> into a blue screen saying BAD_POOL_CALL along with some obscure
> hex codes.
> Rang help desk (India?) and the guy gave me a logitech mouse web-link
> to download. My Dell doesen't even have the grunt to log on to the web,
> so helpdesk suggested I use my second computer and transfer to floppy.
> What he didn't say was that the download is 4MB, too big for floppy!
>
> I highly doubt his advice anyway! The computer had been running perfectly
> for the last 3 months. There have been no recent hardware installs or
> software
> for the last 6 weeks.
> Can anybody help?
> Thanks in advance. Mick

How about running system restore back to a date before the BSOD. Also
consider disconnecting/removing any external (or internal ) devices that may
have been added since the machine was running 'perfectly'.

If the restore works, the worst you'll have to endure is reinstalling any
applications added after the restore date. No data will be lost.

Stew

S.Lewis wrote:
> "michael harrington" <mikharr@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> Have Dimension 8300 under Windows XP which is constantly lapsing
>> into a blue screen saying BAD_POOL_CALL along with some obscure
>> hex codes.
>> Rang help desk (India?) and the guy gave me a logitech mouse web-link
>> to download. My Dell doesen't even have the grunt to log on to the
>> web, so helpdesk suggested I use my second computer and transfer to
>> floppy. What he didn't say was that the download is 4MB, too big for
>> floppy!
>>
>> I highly doubt his advice anyway! The computer had been running
>> perfectly for the last 3 months. There have been no recent hardware
>> installs or software
>> for the last 6 weeks.
>> Can anybody help?
>> Thanks in advance. Mick
>>

> How about running system restore back to a date before the BSOD. Also
> consider disconnecting/removing any external (or internal ) devices
> that may have been added since the machine was running 'perfectly'.
>
> If the restore works, the worst you'll have to endure is reinstalling
> any applications added after the restore date. No data will be lost.
>

> Stew

Excellent advice. In addition, the bad_pool_call is typically a
corrupted driver. Boot to safe mode, access device manager, select
expand view to show hidden devices. Check for any yellows or reds, and
multiple copies of any driver. The latter is a good clue to which
driver is involved. Experiences show that the video adapter is the
first place to start.

> S.Lewis wrote:
> > "michael harrington" <mikharr@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> >> Have Dimension 8300 under Windows XP which is constantly lapsing
> >> into a blue screen saying BAD_POOL_CALL along with some obscure
> >> hex codes.
> >> Rang help desk (India?) and the guy gave me a logitech mouse web-link
> >> to download. My Dell doesen't even have the grunt to log on to the
> >> web, so helpdesk suggested I use my second computer and transfer to
> >> floppy. What he didn't say was that the download is 4MB, too big for
> >> floppy!
> >>
> >> I highly doubt his advice anyway! The computer had been running
> >> perfectly for the last 3 months. There have been no recent hardware
> >> installs or software
> >> for the last 6 weeks.
> >> Can anybody help?
> >> Thanks in advance. Mick
> >>

> > How about running system restore back to a date before the BSOD. Also
> > consider disconnecting/removing any external (or internal ) devices
> > that may have been added since the machine was running 'perfectly'.
> >
> > If the restore works, the worst you'll have to endure is reinstalling
> > any applications added after the restore date. No data will be lost.
> >

> > Stew
>
> Excellent advice. In addition, the bad_pool_call is typically a
> corrupted driver. Boot to safe mode, access device manager, select
> expand view to show hidden devices. Check for any yellows or reds, and
> multiple copies of any driver. The latter is a good clue to which
> driver is involved. Experiences show that the video adapter is the
> first place to start.

Thanks Stew and Q! Carried out Restore and all appears well.
Cheers Mick.