AMD Releases ATI All-In-Wonder HD Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Atlhough my AIW is old - I'm still stinging from their decision to not help us owners out when Vista came on scene. I think I'll stick with separate PCI or USB items to handle this feature - at least that way, if my computer is still running well, I can upgrade the G-Card without worrying about losing the TV aspect.

cyborg28

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
I also got burned by the whole not going to support vista thing... But I am a Torontonian and ATI Fanboy to the core. DO WANT!!!

rick_h

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
I've owned a few AIW cards, but can't recall the company ever releasing one with a mediocre video chip. I sure hope the fixed all the bugs with the theater pro 650. BTW- they could have hit the ball out of the park by offering HD Radio.

It says you can record HDTV. Does this mean I can finally hook up my HD cable box and record at 1080i/p through HDMI? Or is it still the regular over the air HD recording BS?

I found one company that actually makes true HD recording cards but do not recall the name at the moment.

johnbilicki

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
The 3600 series uses a 128-bit memory interface, great choice if you like to blunder a rerelease!

Vista support? Only noobs can be tricked in to thinking newer is somehow automatically better.

mr roboto

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
Yeah I know quite a few people who loved their AIW and were hoping for a new version, but re-releasing this card using old tech is well...stupid. If ATI would have used the 4850 as a base it could have been something special.

turbolover22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]vagetaqtd[/nom]Still bitter that they haven't release drivers for my Remote Wonder II remote for Vista. [/citation]

As am I that they haven't released all of the software for 64bit XP so that I can use my card.

G

So I picked one of these up at circuit city for the bargain price of 149.99, so far it's a pretty solid card, but amd doesn't have catalysts for it online yet, and there is not a single review posted anywhere... anyone else try one out yet?

G

I installed this card, actually, the card was the driving force behind a complete rebuild (system needed it anyway, 4 years old, no SATA, no PCI-E, heck, no USB2.0).

Anyways, a bit disappointed as it does not "see" my cable (comcast) as being digital even though I'm a digital subscriber! Only option for cable is "Analog Cable". It does give me an option for atsc antenna, but that does not pick up any channels with the cable as the input.

nrnoble

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Same here Dav0! I bought this card and it doesn't get any HD signals off of cable (also comcast). All it detects is anolog channels (2-99), no QAM channels as stated in their marketing. So far I have not been impressed, if it can't detect HD cable signals, the only thing it does for me is HDMI. $200 just to have a video card that has HDMI card is not worth the price;

Also, I have yet to get it to pass throw Dolby Digital when playing a DVD; I get sound, but it is strictly two channels. Maybe it does do Dolby Digital, but so far I have not figure out how.

Documentation is extremely limit and for the most part no help at all. No where does it talk about HD TV, Clear QAM, DVD recording/playback, and other media center features it ships with. The Media Center software included looks to be Open Source stuff, which is fine, but it is left the user figure out how to make it work as if they already have the skill/knowledge as to where to go on the internet find what they need to make it work.

Lastly, the NVidia 8600 card that I was using looked slightly sharper on my 50 inch HDTV. I notice that the fonts are slightly fuzzy with AIW-HD. The NVidia 8600 card had a very sharp/impressive image.

Maybe I am missing something, but boy, this product does not deliver on the ATI marketing that is on their website. Taking a guess, the intent is for this card might be for OEM systems, therefor Dell, Gateway, HP, etc will make the card work with whatever software they decide to ship with their Media Center systems. Maybe it works great if a person already has Media Center software installed, or decides to get it.

G

I still own a AIW X1900 which ATI/AMD would not support under Vista.
I bought this card few months before Vista came and paid over $200 for it. Still waiting for AMD to come out with a driver to support the Video capture function. This is my first time that I bought a product and the company hang you to dry as far as support is concerned. I will NEVER buy an ATI/AMD product EVER....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS