Inspiron 3800 BIOS flash gone bad...

unkn2232324

Was flashing the BIOS of my Inspiron 3800 and it stopped/hung at 50%, now I have
a useless laptop. Was doing an A: drive BIOS update, everything was going fine
until it started writing the new bios and it then froze 50% thru and never
finished. Now it doesn't even boot.

Anyone know of any "easy" solutions. If all else fails, ill just sell it for
parts, since everywhere I looked a replacement motherboard for this was around
$150 and Dell wants $550 for a motherboard.

Thanks for any suggestions, please feel free to laugh as well, HAH.

"G" <.@.> wrote in message
> Was flashing the BIOS of my Inspiron 3800 and it stopped/hung at 50%, now
I have
> a useless laptop. Was doing an A: drive BIOS update, everything was going
fine
> until it started writing the new bios and it then froze 50% thru and never
> finished. Now it doesn't even boot.
>
> Anyone know of any "easy" solutions. If all else fails, ill just sell it
for
> parts, since everywhere I looked a replacement motherboard for this was
around
> $150 and Dell wants $550 for a motherboard.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions, please feel free to laugh as well, HAH.

G,

Have you tried to reflash? Also what BIOS do you have? This *may* help
you:

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/bootblock.html

http://forum.iamnotageek.com/t-77604.html

HTH
Louie
Chiefland, FL,USA

unkn2232324

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 20:17:56 -0500, "Louie" <louie@spammenot.com> wrote:

>"G" <.@.> wrote in message
>> Was flashing the BIOS of my Inspiron 3800 and it stopped/hung at 50%, now
>I have
>> a useless laptop. Was doing an A: drive BIOS update, everything was going
>fine
>> until it started writing the new bios and it then froze 50% thru and never
>> finished. Now it doesn't even boot.
>>
>> Anyone know of any "easy" solutions. If all else fails, ill just sell it
>for
>> parts, since everywhere I looked a replacement motherboard for this was
>around
>> $150 and Dell wants $550 for a motherboard.
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions, please feel free to laugh as well, HAH.
>
>G,
>
>Have you tried to reflash? Also what BIOS do you have? This *may* help
>you:
>
>http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/bootblock.html
>
>http://forum.iamnotageek.com/t-77604.html
>
>HTH
>Louie
>Chiefland, FL,USA

I appreciate the quick reply, but I am not sure which type of BIOS is on this
laptop. I am unable to "reflash" considering the system is pretty much dead, it
doesn't appear to do much of anything, it powers up for about 5-10 seconds then
shuts itself down. I have a disk floppy disk in drive but it doesn't access it.

Thanks for the links, I will read thru them, but on a quick read thru I didn't
see anything that would help, will look closer though.

> I appreciate the quick reply, but I am not sure which type of BIOS is on
this
> laptop. I am unable to "reflash" considering the system is pretty much
dead, it
> doesn't appear to do much of anything, it powers up for about 5-10 seconds
then
> shuts itself down. I have a disk floppy disk in drive but it doesn't
access it.

> Thanks for the links, I will read thru them, but on a quick read thru I
didn't
> see anything that would help, will look closer though.

Mmmm, take a look here:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_bios&mes
sage.id=25932&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

May have to open it up and reset CMOS pin or reseat CPU:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pstar/en/sm_en/r_r.htm?c=us&l=
en&s=dhs&cs=19

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pstar/en/sm_en/index.htm?c=us&
l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Louie
Chiefland, FL, USA

unkn2232324

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:37:18 -0500, "Louie" <louie@spammenot.com> wrote:

> I appreciate the quick reply, but I am not sure which type of BIOS is on this
> laptop. I am unable to "reflash" considering the system is pretty much dead, it
> doesn't appear to do much of anything, it powers up for about 5-10 seconds then
> shuts itself down. I have a disk floppy disk in drive but it doesn't access it.
>
> Thanks for the links, I will read thru them, but on a quick read thru I didn't
> see anything that would help, will look closer though.
>
>Mmmm, take a look here:
>
>http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_bios&message.id=25932&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
>
>May have to open it up and reset CMOS pin or reseat CPU:
>
>http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pstar/en/sm_en/r_r.htm?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
>
>http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pstar/en/sm_en/index.htm?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
>
>Sorry I can't be of more help.
>
>Louie
>Chiefland, FL, USA

Thanks again, but I have looked these pages over before, I posted here (except
for the first one) and were helpful in telling me how to break it down, but
nothing else.

I already stripped down the entire laptop, pulled everything out except the
fan/heatpipe unit. I never did see or read anything about a CMOS jumper. Even
though there was a jumper over by the PCMCIA slots. I could not even locate
anything that looked like a BIOS chip. I was going to see if I could just
remove it and get a replacement from an online "bad flash" vendor, but I didn't
see any "removable" type chips, so if its there, its soldered to the board.

I'm just considering it a lost cause now, considering trying to get a used
motherboard from someone on eBay, least it will be cheaper that way, riskier
though.

Know where I can get a parts breakdown for this laptop? How to determine the
motherboard rev/model number?

Does pressing the master reset switch on the rear of the system have any
effect?

I was thinking of flashing my BIOS but now I'm not so sure.

How can I tell which version of the BIOS I have installed?

Thanks.

In message <n8b6u05ddvbj4h2anqh16k0di8gqtcedtt@4ax.com>, G
<?.?@?.?.invalid> writes

--
Harry Gilbertson

unkn2232324

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 02:29:00 +0000, nospam <nospam@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Does pressing the master reset switch on the rear of the system have any
>effect?
>
>I was thinking of flashing my BIOS but now I'm not so sure.
>
>How can I tell which version of the BIOS I have installed?
>
>Thanks.

There is no master reset switch on the back of this Inspiron 3800, that I know
of.

I have flashed many desktops and never had a problem, course the first laptop I
do and it takes a dump, just my luck.

You can usually tell which version of BIOS you have when you boot up, there will
be a long string some where near the bottom of the screen, the last couple
digits should be the BIOS rev.

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

What Master reset switch??? new one on me
"nospam" <nospam@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Does pressing the master reset switch on the rear of the system have any
> effect?
>
> I was thinking of flashing my BIOS but now I'm not so sure.
>
> How can I tell which version of the BIOS I have installed?
>
> Thanks.
>

> In message <n8b6u05ddvbj4h2anqh16k0di8gqtcedtt@4ax.com>, G
> <?.?@?.?.invalid> writes
>>On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 20:17:56 -0500, "Louie" <louie@spammenot.com> wrote:
>>
>>>"G" <.@.> wrote in message
>>>I have
>>>fine

>>>for
>>>around

>>>G,
>>>
>>>Have you tried to reflash? Also what BIOS do you have? This *may* help
>>>you:
>>>
>>>http://pages.sbcglobal.net/jefn/bootblock.html
>>>
>>>http://forum.iamnotageek.com/t-77604.html
>>>
>>>HTH
>>>Louie
>>>Chiefland, FL,USA
>>>

>>I appreciate the quick reply, but I am not sure which type of BIOS is on
>>this
>>laptop. I am unable to "reflash" considering the system is pretty much
>>dead, it
>>doesn't appear to do much of anything, it powers up for about 5-10 seconds
>>then
>>shuts itself down. I have a disk floppy disk in drive but it doesn't
>>access it.
>>
>>Thanks for the links, I will read thru them, but on a quick read thru I
>>didn't
>>see anything that would help, will look closer though.
>
> --
> Harry Gilbertson

Sorry, my Inspiron 3100 has a small hole which has a reset switch behind
it, it can be reset with the pointy end of a pen.

The 3800 must have a different design.

In message <ofq6u09pfddgd0r3lljv8j4m72nncsltot@4ax.com>, G
<?.?@?.?.invalid> writes