Anyone found a decent nut driver set for working on pins?

I've got four sets of nut drivers and none of them are ideally suited
to working on pins. They're either too short, or too thick-walled, or
the hollowed shafts are too shallow, or they're not magnetic.

Has anyone found a good magnetic, long, hollow shafted, thin walled
nut driver set that you like to use on pins?

Nut drivers are made of a steel alloy that doesn't magnetize well. The
magnetic nut drivers all have a magnet inserted in the socket end to
hold screws. I use Xcelite hollow-shaft drivers for standard work and a
Vaco long-handled 1/4" for the playfield screws. I have a 5/16"
magnetic as well, but I've never found a use for it. The magnetic style
is too shallow for an ESNA (nylock) nut so they're really only good for
hex-head screws. The 4 common Xcelite sizes and the 10" Vaco magnetic
are available at PinRestore.com. The 11/32" are on back order right now
though.

bogart
www.pinrestore.com

I like my CRESCENT nut drivers, as they are cheap (like 7.00 a set)
color coded and most importantly, have big beefy rubber handles, not
slippy hard edged plastic ones. available at my Home Depot. They have
aluminum shafts, so non magnetic.

pt

I agree Korn. A nice 1/4" socket set is a good way to go. Then you
can use a spinner, socket handle or use an adapter for a hex driver or
cordless screwdriver. Unfortunately this option does not give you
magnetism.

I love my cordless screwdriver (not a drill). Just pop on the adapter
and use any 1/4" socket or extender. It has a built in LED light.
Unlike a drill it has two buttons - one for forward and one for
reverse. It also has really good clutch settings that I have yet to
strip a screw with. WIth this thing and a 6" flex extender I can strip
a machine to the bone in no time!

http://acmehardware.com/product_detail.aspx?sku=4258612

John

On 12 Jul 2005 15:10:18 -0700, "martin" <martin.reynolds@gmail.com>
wrote:

>http://www.mytoolstore.com/klein/s1018.html
>
>Magnetic and hollow don't go together. But the 1/4" magnetic long is a
>nice tool.

18"! Holy Cow! I was thinking something in the 8-10" range.

It seems that a hollow magnetic nut driver could be made, at least for
sizes larger than the shaft diameter. A washer shaped magnet could be
bonded to the bottom of the socket head.

Thanks for the link. More toys to shop for.

I'd like to find something to drive miniposts! I hate having to use a
1/4" wrench a quarter turn at a time... grrrrr >:-(

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!

I use two sears 1/4" socket sets. They are both small sets, one deep
well the other normal. Both handles out at the same time, two different
common sizes on them.

Has not let me down yet.

If I have ALOT of unscrewing to do (IE lane guides) I use a DeWalt
cordless screwdriver...

Andrew

kim

Klein tools makes two: a 1/4 inch and a 5/16 inch magnetic hollow nutdriver
.. . . and these are six inches. Perfect for working under the playfield,
trying to get fasteners through/around the wiring harnesses. I ordered mine
direct from Klein. http://www.kleintools.com/

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 21:56:42 -0500, "kim" <kanding@giftofhope.org>
wrote:

>Klein tools makes two: a 1/4 inch and a 5/16 inch magnetic hollow nutdriver
>. . . and these are six inches. Perfect for working under the playfield,
>trying to get fasteners through/around the wiring harnesses. I ordered mine
>direct from Klein. http://www.kleintools.com/

Now that's what I'm talking about. If they were a couple inches longer
they'd be perfect, but they sure will help in a lot of situations.

> I've got four sets of nut drivers and none of them are ideally suited
> to working on pins. They're either too short, or too thick-walled, or
> the hollowed shafts are too shallow, or they're not magnetic.
>
> Has anyone found a good magnetic, long, hollow shafted, thin walled
> nut driver set that you like to use on pins?

I went to Lowe's and bought a long handled 1/4" magnetic nutdriver that
looks just like a long screwdriver. Then Hitachi makes magnetic nut drivers
in 4 comon sizes that snap right into the end of the nut driver. All for
about $20.

--
Mike S.
Kalamazoo, MI

Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu

Kenbo <Kenbo@NOqsolvJUNKMAIL.com> wrote in

> I've got four sets of nut drivers and none of them are ideally suited
> to working on pins. They're either too short, or too thick-walled, or
> the hollowed shafts are too shallow, or they're not magnetic.
>
> Has anyone found a good magnetic, long, hollow shafted, thin walled
> nut driver set that you like to use on pins?

Buy a 1/4" deep throat socket set and a spinner instead; about 20x more
useful. (You'll NEVER have a problem with the socket not being deep
enough!)

Well, I guess if you threaded a 6 ft. pole you'd have a problem, but on a
pinball machine, _never_!

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 23:40:59 GMT, TheKorn <TheKorn@TheKorn.Net> wrote:

>Kenbo <Kenbo@NOqsolvJUNKMAIL.com> wrote in
>
>> I've got four sets of nut drivers and none of them are ideally suited
>> to working on pins. They're either too short, or too thick-walled, or
>> the hollowed shafts are too shallow, or they're not magnetic.
>>
>> Has anyone found a good magnetic, long, hollow shafted, thin walled
>> nut driver set that you like to use on pins?
>
>Buy a 1/4" deep throat socket set and a spinner instead; about 20x more
>useful. (You'll NEVER have a problem with the socket not being deep
>enough!)

I've got a set that I use a lot. The problem is there are spots on
some brackets (like drop target brackets) where the deep socket won't
fit because of interference, but a nut driver will work because the
narrow shaft clears. This is where a hollow shafted magnetic driver
would shine (if anyone would make one).

Cliffy,

Sears (Craftsman) makes a deep 12 point socket that fits right over the
top of the mini-posts and makes installing them a snap. Just take a
post along when you go to the store and you can then make sure you are
getting the right one. You can't tell which ones are deep enough from
the outside.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! I'll try that out.

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!
http://www.passionforpinball.com

pt

Just noticed that BAA has two nutdrivers with deep sockets and magnetic
tips on their new parts page.

John

On 26 Jul 2005 14:22:08 -0700, "PT" <zeecarr1@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Just noticed that BAA has two nutdrivers with deep sockets and magnetic
>tips on their new parts page.
>
>John

Thanks for the tip!

wrote:

>Klein tools makes two: a 1/4 inch and a 5/16 inch magnetic hollow nutdriver
>. . . and these are six inches. Perfect for working under the playfield,
>trying to get fasteners through/around the wiring harnesses. I ordered mine
>direct from Klein. http://www.kleintools.com/

Scot at pinrestore is carrying these Klein magnetic hollow shafted nut
drivers now now if anyone needs them.