Sign in with
Your question

power supply and cpu

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Power Supplies
Last response: in CPUs
July 23, 2003 3:34:18 PM

wHAT is the min power supply that can be used with a Asuz p4 board and a p4 cpu? And if the power supply was to small what would happen?

More about : power supply cpu

July 23, 2003 3:48:01 PM

Could you be any more vague? Any P4 chipset mobo and any P4?

There's really no such thing as a 'minimum' power supply. The CPU and motherboard aren't the only determining factors. The video card, hard drives, even case fans all help determine what power supply you'll need.

On top of that power supplies themselves can't be judged purely by how many watts they're rated at. What really matters is the output of each rail and how much each device in the PC will use from those rails. The watts themselves almost don't even matter.

What will happen if your power supply is inadiquate though is very simple. Your computer won't work.

If you're lucky the computer will just be unstable. It could spontaneously reboot and/or crash. Errors reported might come from just about any possible component, but memory seems to usually be one of the first to be indicated.

If you're unlucky your power supply will go up in a puff of smoke and may even damage components in your PC. (That's pretty darn rare though these days.)

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>
July 23, 2003 3:53:24 PM

P4 865 chip set, P4 2600 Ti4200 G-Force 4 or upgrading to a Radeon 9800 128 card. Onboard sound no other cards being used off the board. (Modem attached but not used). Has intergrated nic card. also 1 gig of ddr 3200 ram (4 x 256).
Related resources
July 23, 2003 4:00:13 PM

Do you have a case? Or are you buying new PSU?
July 23, 2003 4:14:30 PM

I have a HP case now. I supports the board and p4 I have so I wont buy a case just a bigger power supply
July 23, 2003 5:24:30 PM

Now here is some typical info. However it is old,
the CPU's and the GPU's draw considerably more power nowadays so be sure to adjust that.
<A HREF="http://www.howstuffworks.com/power-supply3.htm" target="_new">http://www.howstuffworks.com/power-supply3.htm&lt;/A>
I have heard that on cheap power supplies some of the more modern GPU can draw a full third of the power (say 100W+).
Add in a good safety margin!!

The loving are the daring!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flinx on 07/23/03 01:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
a b à CPUs
July 24, 2003 12:09:05 AM

Quote:
have a HP case now. I supports the board and p4 I have so I wont buy a case just a bigger power supply

Yeh, OK. You might have to mount that bigger power supply OUTSIDE the case! If you look at the back and THINK it's a standard ATX power supply, open it up!

Most larger HP cases used the "PS-III" form factor power supply, which has around 2 inches less depth than the standard form factor ATX power supply (PS-II form factor, same as standard AT size).

So make sure you have enough room for that power supply first, that it won't interfere with the installation of your CD drives!

A Fortron 350W power supply available from Newegg for around $32 should be sufficient for your needs. It has much higher output than any other "350W" supply on the market that I've seen. In fact, it's significantly more powerful than most inexpensive 400W power supplies.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!