Problem re-installing XP

but please help.
After a week of increasing glitches and hangs my computer internet LAN link
failed then the computer locked up in the Zone Alarm start phase of set up.
I could not get it to start in 'safe' mode so I decided to try to start it
off the XP CD ROM..Ok so I probably made the problem worse by doing this.

That worked and the computer is up but I cannot open my old files - access
denied. This is a BIG problem as my security & WLAN encryption codes are in
those files so no internet, no XP registration, no firewall. Also I cannot
start some programs e.g. Office. I would be happy to completely re-install
if I could get to my files to copy back up for the last months work.

Now I may have used a different 'computer name' this time. SO how can I
open those files saved under a different computer name? or can I re-name the
computer now?

Grateful for any advice
6 answers Last reply
More about problem installing

    This is actually a fairly common problem with reinstalls. So much so that I
    typed this up and saved it (can't take credit for the idea tho) for a user on
    another forum:

    First we have to enable access to the files and take ownership of them. You
    must be using an account with Administrator privileges for this step:

    "To resolve this issue, you must turn off Simple File Sharing, and then take
    ownership of the folder:
    1. Turn off Simple File Sharing:
    a. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
    b. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
    c. Under Advanced Settings, click to clear the Use simple file sharing
    (Recommended) check box, and then click OK.
    2. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click
    Properties.
    3. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message, if one
    appears.
    4. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
    5. In the Name list, click your user name, Administrator if you are logged
    in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group.

    If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, click to
    select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
    6. Click OK.

    You may receive the following error message, where Folder is the name of the
    folder that you want to take ownership of:
    want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full
    Control? All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
    7. Click Yes.
    8. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you
    want for the folder and the folder contents."

    The above steps will give you the ability to view and manipulate the files
    in the old user profiles.

    - Next, we have to copy the data from the old profile to the new one. Here's
    the steps for it:

    "Create a New User Profile in Windows XP Professional
    1. Log on as the Administrator or as a user with administrator credentials.
    2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    3. Click User Accounts.
    4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Advanced.
    5. In the left pane, click the Users folder.
    6. On the Action menu, click New User.
    7. Enter the appropriate user information, and then click Create.

    Create a New User Profile in Windows XP Home Edition
    1. Log on as the Administrator or as a user with administrator credentials.
    2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    3. Click User Accounts.
    4. Under Pick a task, click Create a new account.
    5. Type a name for the user information, and then click Next.
    6. Click an account type, and then click Create Account.

    Copy Files to the New User Profile
    1. Log on as a user other than the user whose profile you are copying files
    to or from.
    2. In Windows Explorer, click Tools, click Folder Options, click the View
    tab, click Show hidden files and folders, click to clear the Hide protected
    operating system files check box, and then click OK.
    3. Locate the C:\Documents and Settings\Old_Username folder, where C is the
    drive on which Windows XP is installed, and Old_Username is the name of the
    profile you want to copy user data from.
    4. Press and hold down the CTRL key while you click each file and subfolder
    in this folder, except the following files:
    • Ntuser.dat
    • Ntuser.dat.log
    • Ntuser.ini
    5. On the Edit menu, click Copy.
    6. Locate the C:\Documents and Settings\New_Username folder, where C is the
    drive on which Windows XP is installed, and New_Username is the name of the
    user profile that you created in the "Create a New User Profile" section.
    7. On the Edit menu, click Paste.
    8. Log off the computer, and then log on as the new user.

    Note You must import your e-mail messages and addresses to the new user
    profile before you delete the old profile.
    For additional information, click the following article number to view the
    article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    313055 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313055/) OLEXP: Mail Folders,
    Address Book, and E-mail Messages Are Missing After You Upgrade to Microsoft
    Windows XP

    - The steps that we'll have to do are outlined in these 3 Knowledge Base
    articles:

    "Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

    How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP:

    How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

    - Finally, it's been my experience that taking ownership of files can be a
    bit "flakey" at times, and you may even have to individually grant the
    permissions to each sub-folder in the old user profile. Please let me know
    how these instructions have worked for you.

    "Jon Green" wrote:

    > but please help.
    > After a week of increasing glitches and hangs my computer internet LAN link
    > failed then the computer locked up in the Zone Alarm start phase of set up.
    > I could not get it to start in 'safe' mode so I decided to try to start it
    > off the XP CD ROM..Ok so I probably made the problem worse by doing this.
    >
    > That worked and the computer is up but I cannot open my old files - access
    > denied. This is a BIG problem as my security & WLAN encryption codes are in
    > those files so no internet, no XP registration, no firewall. Also I cannot
    > start some programs e.g. Office. I would be happy to completely re-install
    > if I could get to my files to copy back up for the last months work.
    >
    > Now I may have used a different 'computer name' this time. SO how can I
    > open those files saved under a different computer name? or can I re-name the
    > computer now?
    >
    > Grateful for any advice

    I think there is one important detail missing in your highly
    detailed and informative reply:

    *** All important files must be backed up to an independent
    *** medium once a week (or perhaps more often).

    The OP experienced an increasing number of glitches. In spite
    of this he did not back up his data files for more than a month,
    thus painting himself into a corner.

    "usasma" <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    up.
    > > I could not get it to start in 'safe' mode so I decided to try to start
    it
    > > off the XP CD ROM..Ok so I probably made the problem worse by doing
    this.

    > > That worked and the computer is up but I cannot open my old files -
    access
    > > denied. This is a BIG problem as my security & WLAN encryption codes
    are in
    > > those files so no internet, no XP registration, no firewall. Also I
    cannot
    > > start some programs e.g. Office. I would be happy to completely
    re-install
    > > if I could get to my files to copy back up for the last months work.
    > >
    > > Now I may have used a different 'computer name' this time. SO how can I
    > > open those files saved under a different computer name? or can I

    ok pegasus as we say over here "It's a fair cop guvnor!" Mind you Sod's law
    does state that such failures only occur when you have insufficient backup!

    Thanks for the help I omitted to say it was XP home so I needed to start in
    safe mode to get the security tabs. That is now sorted.

    Just trying to persuade Roxio & my WLAN driver that the new set up is nice &
    safe & I will be smiling:-)

    Oh and yes last night - first order of business was a complete copy back up
    to the separate D drive

    "Jon Green" <JonGreen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > ok pegasus as we say over here "It's a fair cop guvnor!" Mind you Sod's
    law
    > does state that such failures only occur when you have insufficient
    backup!

    Sod's low is based on perceptions and is demostrably
    wrong. One of my clients recently lost a few thousand
    client files (he's an accountant). He had them back within
    a couple of hours, thanks to his backup tape. This is a
    small operation - just three PCs - but when he says that
    his client files are important then he really means "important".
    If you chose to temporarily skip the backup process then
    perhaps your files were not very important.

    I have the same problem,
    but do you have an idea how come I dont have a security tab in the
    directory properties?

    thanks,

    d.

    --
    danys

    "My Computer" / Tools / Folder Options / View / Use simple file sharing

    "danys" <danys.1ut2tz@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message

    > I have the same problem,
    > but do you have an idea how come I dont have a security tab in the
    > directory properties?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > d.
    >

    > --